New pool - spa heater turned off and pool is in freeze protection mode

earnheart

Feb 21, 2019
Dallas
Hi -

Question: Why does my Hayward Omnilogic show the heater is "Idle" and it stopped heating?

My problem: I turned the spa heater on tonight. the water was 43 degrees, I set for 95. Turned the spa filter on as well to enable the heater control in the app. Looked 30 minutes later it had heated to 56. I looked again 25 minutes later and the heater says "idle" even though the Hayward Omnilogic app has the spa heater lit as if it is operating. The spa heater now shows 47 degrees. The pool filter is in the automatic "freeze protection" mode as it is 37 degrees outside.

I seem to recall when we first used it in October I couldn't run the pool heater if the pool sheer descents were on, but I can't disable them w/the pool in freeze protection mode. I think they were running when I initially turned on the heater directed to the spa so I dont' know why the heater suddenly quit.

Background: I built a pool with a new home and moved in this past October. First time pool owners.

We used the spa/pool once before cool weather with no issues, but we haven't used it since.

The pool equip has run the entire time, serviced weekly, etc. We've never owned a pool so decided to pay through our first summer so that we can learn the ropes of pool equipment and chemicals while someone else is taking care of it.

The heater has a pressure switch. With all your water features open in freeze protection mode the pressure may be too low for the heater.

You should be careful running your heater regularly with cold water. I am assuming you have a Hayward H Series heater. The manual on page 12 - https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/UHS-OwnersManual011717-RevJ.pdf - says:

WINTERIZATION:
In moderate climates, the heater can continue to operate during short-term cold spells. Do not use the
heater to maintain the water temperature just above freezing or for freeze protection.
Care must be taken to
avoid freeze-up in the heater. When it is used during freezing weather, the pump must run continuously. The
heater is not warranted against freeze-ups. In regions where freezing temperatures are encountered, all water
must be drained from the heater when it is out of service, to prevent damage to the heater and piping. Draining
the heat exchanger is recommended as part of the season’s shutdown procedures.

What they are trying to say is heater condensation can damage the heater.

Please create your signature with details of your pool so we can provide more specific advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.