New Pool - Rebar Rust advice (Also - anyone have before & after pics?)

yoster

May 10, 2022
Clovis, CA USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Need advice.

9 month old pool has rebar rust in 1 spot. PB offering to cut out and repair, but refuses to re-plaster entire pool. Can anyone share any pictures of repair jobs you've done? Particular from someone with a new build similar to mine. I need to see how well newer plaster will blend with a patch.

I also need advice in general. I'm being told by some that I should seek legal counsel (this is now the 2nd 'patch' job this company has had to do on my build. The first being re-doing sections of pool deck that nowhere near match the rest of the deck now).

What plaster finish and color do you have?

What location in the pool is the rust spot and where the patch would be.

Pics of the problem area?

White plaster. Stain at the deep end between the deep-end step and pool light. Pics attached. (some before the rust spot showed up, for reference) - with my amazing MS paint arrow skills (pictures with the arrows are *before* it started to show up, to get an idea as to where's it's located).

IMG_20220405_135212.jpgIMG_20220409_110833.jpgIMG_20220511_171417.jpgIMG_20230101_151425.jpgIMG_20230107_131802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
White plaster gives you a good chance of them matching it up pretty well. All depends how good the guy is who does it.

That is not in a very conspicuous space. Only you will see the patch.

I hear ya, but that's kinda the entire point though. *I* will see the patch. I don't care what other people see - I care about what I see - I'm the one that lives with it lol. Let me poke a hole in the PB's 9 month old car and see if they're ok with a bondo and paint patch repair (that's what I want to tell them anyway ;) )

I know others have gone through this before - anyone have any before/after photos by chance?

Reactions: TampaKathy
I hear ya, but that's kinda the entire point though. *I* will see the patch. I don't care what other people see - I care about what I see - I'm the one that lives with it lol. Let me poke a hole in the PB's 9 month old car and see if they're ok with a bondo and paint patch repair (that's what I want to tell them anyway ;) )

I know others have gone through this before - anyone have any before/after photos by chance?
You can seek some legal council, but it likely won’t help and you’ll be stuck paying a lawyer AND for someone else to replaster it. It’s sometimes easier for contractors to declare bankruptcy than to lose money. I had a former employer do that rather than paying a judgment awarded to me over a payroll dispute.

I think I’d let them cut it out and repair and just ask they do the best job possible. Lawyers just make it worse sometimes.

Reactions: HermanTX
I hear ya, but that's kinda the entire point though. *I* will see the patch. I don't care what other people see - I care about what I see - I'm the one that lives with it
Does it help that you'll only see it on certain days when the sun is just right, and only if you happen to be standing on the back left side while looking towards the front right ?

It could be the back wall or shelf and smack you in the face all the time.

*Sigh* Who am I kidding, I know it won't help. It sure wouldn't help me, so I stand with you on principle. :)

(Also glad you have someone happy to fix it, that in itself is worth something)

Quick update on this. They're repairing it as we speak. The repair guy is shaking his head and taking pictures to send to my PB. The rebar is AT the surface of the gunite. Covered by about the thickness of fingernail polish. What a joke. Of course now I'm questioning the entire build. They're doing this spot but if this spot is that bad, I have zero confidence that the rest of the rebar around the pool isn't close too.

Repair guy said the rebar started to go deeper each way - he kept cutting until he got to clean rebar, at which point it was about 3/4" below the gunite. Still not ideal but he seemed to think we should be ok, and felt confident that if I would have already seen rust spots in other areas of the pool if. Would you all agree with that?

Get a pool they said, it'll be great they said!! :p

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.