New Pool Plumbing Layout

pool250 said:
No piped gas here.
With an average winter daytime temp of 60F and night time of 50F, would the heat pump be any use in those conditions
ie would the night time losses with the heater off be greater than the daytime gains with it on, even with a cover?

Pretty much all that would do is spin the electric meter sorry to say. Can you use propane?

I looked into the cost of propane which was prohibitive ( I pay $35 to refill a 20 lb bottle) and I am not sure its possible to have gas delivered by tanker here into one of those large tanks, only by bottles and I think even the large ones would only last a few days.
I suppose I could try solar to extend the shoulder seasons but I am not convinced that the cost/hassle of installation is worth it or alternatively just a regular electric heater to use just for a few days in the winter.

Solar can be extremely effective if you have enough surface area of solar collectors. Even a small area of collectors will extend the season several weeks, and at the other end of the range, with two times the surface area of the pool you could swim most of the year.

Interesting.
I have plenty of empty space around the house so setting up black pipe is pretty much unlimited. I had no idea it would heat the water in winter given enough collector area; would this work on cloudy days as well as sunny days in winter??

hmm free heat and no wood chopping: now that idea I like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.