New pool placement

I called for the new permit. It's being sent to me tomorrow via mail. Hopefully it won't take to long to get approved. I'm going to have it sent in maybe a week before closing so when we get in, I can break ground right away. It's hot here. Too hot n I'm miserable without my pool.

I need to buy a bonding kit. Anyone know if this will be good? Also... can I use 6g copper wire or do I need 8g copper wire?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200709-175632_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200709-175632_Chrome.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 48
I found 150ft of 8g copper wire I just bought. Hoping it'll e enough for 24ft round.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200709-181106_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200709-181106_eBay.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 27
I also bought 4 of these for the post and have to go graba #8 copper split bolt to round off the end to connect to pump. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be ok with this set up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200709-190042_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200709-190042_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 17
I also bought 4 of these for the post and have to go graba #8 copper split bolt to round off the end to connect to pump. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be ok with this set up?

That is a good lug. Should say db for direct burial. You can get them cheaper at lowes or depot if near you. Heads up it took about 2 weeks to get that brundy waterbug for skimmer from Amazon seller. I couldn't find anywhere else though.

That is a good lug. Should say db for direct burial. You can get them cheaper at lowes or depot if near you. Heads up it took about 2 weeks to get that brundy waterbug for skimmer from Amazon seller. I couldn't find anywhere else though.
I've got nothing but time. @AJ.A wht kind of screws should I be using to add these to the uprights and should I pre drill the holes? What size drill bit? Thank you for commenting.

I've got nothing but time. @AJ.A wht kind of screws should I be using to add these to the uprights and should I pre drill the holes? What size drill bit? Thank you for commenting.

I haven't bonded my pool yet - just put up on Monday. I think I am going to try something like this: 18-8 Stainless Steel Thread Cutting Screw, Plain Finish, Hex Washer Head, Slotted Drive, Type F, #10-32 Thread Size, 3/8" Length (Pack of 25): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I read the pilot hole would be 9/64 for a #10 screw and don't know if a self-tapping screw would meet code. Here is an interesting thread where some electricians talk about it. Tech screws and pool bonding

Other option would be a tap and die set to make a threaded hole or they reference this set of taps that seem easy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...G5VP4YTHTZ1QTTBFVF4&tag=electriciantalkcon-20

Last edited:

Your local codes trump any advice you receive here. Your local inspector may or may not like sheet metal screws, who knows? Maybe they want them installed in a specific way.

However, my advice is not to go with screws, either self tapping or otherwise - you are not going to get them tight enough. Here is what I would do.

- Use a stainless steel nut and bolt of the proper size (depending on the hole in the lug) - a locking nut would be even better (not a spring washer) but some locktite would also work.

- Before installing, remove the paint (steel wool, fine sandpaper) from the leg where the lug will make contact. Since we don't want that corroding, I would then coat it with conductive grease. I don't think you need ti from an electrical standpoint, but from a protection standpoint.

- Once everything is in place and inspected, I would consider mixing up some clear 2 part epoxy and covering the lugs, as an other layer of corrosion protection.

When I used to engineer underground vaults for telecommunications, we would have bonding halos installed under the vaults. There were two approved ways to connect the lugs - either with nuts and bolts that had a built in torque indicator (you tightened them until it snapped off, then you knew it was tight enough) or you would light a thermite charge and melt the lug onto the connection. Both are a tad overkill for a pool, but I would definitely go with a regular bolted connection.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and AJ.A

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@phonedave ... can you provide me with a picture of said bolts so I can look them up or go to Lowes and buy them? I'd appreciate it. I just cant think right now.

We were to be closing on Monday. We have been told all week that the Appraisal inspection was happening on the 2nd of July. I just found out today that the inspection never took place, the first appointment was canceled and the second one, the appraiser was refused entry. I am beyond unhappy and stressed out over this because we have a deadline to meet n we may end up back in a hotel again. And I'm also scared that they have accepted our offer n yhem they refuse to sell. This would be devastating for Jim n I. I don't usually get scared but we have 3 dogs that can not be put out! They can not be given away. I work in a high stress environment and that is NOTHING compared to what I'm experiencing RIGHT NOW over this house n its owners! I am beyond frustrated and infuriated that we are being strung along n our time wasted especially if we lose out on this house. Our end is completed 100%. We just need a home.

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
@phonedave ... can you provide me with a picture of said bolts so I can look them up or go to Lowes and buy them? I'd appreciate it. I just cant think right now.

We were to be closing on Monday. We have been told all week that the Appraisal inspection was happening on the 2nd of July. I just found out today that the inspection never took place, the first appointment was canceled and the second one, the appraiser was refused entry. I am beyond unhappy and stressed out over this because we have a deadline to meet n we may end up back in a hotel again. And I'm also scared that they have accepted our offer n yhem they refuse to sell. This would be devastating for Jim n I. I don't usually get scared but we have 3 dogs that can not be put out! They can not be given away. I work in a high stress environment and that is NOTHING compared to what I'm experiencing RIGHT NOW over this house n its owners! I am beyond frustrated and infuriated that we are being strung along n our time wasted especially if we lose out on this house. Our end is completed 100%. We just need a home.

I talked with my brother in law this weekend, who is an electrician, who just happens to have a contract with a pool installer, and has bonded about 20 pools so far this year.

At least in this part of the country (Northern NJ) there are now pool specific lugs and screws (not bolts) that are to be used for pools. The inspectors will only pass him if he uses these parts. You cannot get them at the big box stores (Lowes, HD, etc). They only place you are going to find them (according to him) are electrical supply houses and they cost an arm and a leg ( $1+ per screw, $8 or so per lug for example).

The new screws have a larger threadform, and are made to get a firm bite and not back out.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There is a small army rooting for you Casey. And we got torches and pitchforks in case somebody with a stupid name like Fred Fredson gets in the way
You know that dude was back on our property?! I can't believe how freaking stupid he is. I called the Police Department and had them come out to deal with him. I am too tired for his Crud.

I am not doing the pool this year. One of the sellers is being a real :poop: and I've about had it with this individual. We were supposed to close yesterday. This individual canceled a scheduled appointment with the Appraisal Inspector and then denied him entry which is pushing the closing back. Now that the inspection is done, I have to bring the house up to code and this :poop: is interfering with access to the property. I need in tomorrow at 10AM and if I can get it done by 4pm, I can close on Friday. I was told 4pm. My realtor, the lender, the Appraiser and I are so done with this and it's so bad that the realtor for the seller is done too because of this person! So I decided that I do not want to deal with a dang pool this year. I'm over it!

You know that dude was back on our property?! I can't believe how freaking stupid he is. I called the Police Department and had them come out to deal with him. I am too tired for his Crud.

I am not doing the pool this year. One of the sellers is being a real :poop: and I've about had it with this individual. We were supposed to close yesterday. This individual canceled a scheduled appointment with the Appraisal Inspector and then denied him entry which is pushing the closing back. Now that the inspection is done, I have to bring the house up to code and this :poop: is interfering with access to the property. I need in tomorrow at 10AM and if I can get it done by 4pm, I can close on Friday. I was told 4pm. My realtor, the lender, the Appraiser and I are so done with this and it's so bad that the realtor for the seller is done too because of this person! So I decided that I do not want to deal with a dang pool this year. I'm over it!
Hang in there Casey...Hugs and breathe.. I went through the exact same thing when we purchased our home 30 years ago..The seller kept changing her mind about selling after she signed the contract.... Hopefully the realtor and lender can help you!!

I imagine there will be many people selling in the near future that are not doing so for happy reasons. It opens up a whole new angle of house buying problems.

Well, we finished the last requirement of satisfying the loan yesterday by removing the garage door and returning the house to a full basement. I could not pass the inspection and it had to go. My son (the taller guy) and my Nephew (black shirt) did a great job. I used siding from the old house and painted it. We finished it yesterday and are awaiting the final inspection.

Attachments

• 20200713_163151.jpg
    20200713_163151.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200715_172235.jpg
    20200715_172235.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200715_172614.jpg
    20200715_172614.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200715_201234.jpg
    20200715_201234.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200716_113755.jpg
    20200716_113755.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200716_153243.jpg
    20200716_153243.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 85

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.