New Pool Owners - OVERWHELMED!

kmc_78

Aug 11, 2016
Ontario, OH
We're new pool owners, neither my husband or I have any experience with pools. We purchased an Intex style pool, set up, filled, and our test kit arrived today.

Trying to figure out how to do/remember what to do for all these tests is OVERWHELMING and I feel like it's all in japanese! We purchases the Taylor k2006 Complete kit and I've loaded the pool math app onto my phone.

Can somebody break it down, to stupid mans terms, for some newbies who feel like they're drowning already?! :drown:

Even better than that: videos! K-2006 Completeâ„¢ Kit with FAS-DPD - YouTube

Note: If you've got poolmath, you probably won't want to waste your time doing acid demand and base demand tests. Also, unless you;ve added some, you won't have any CYA in a fresh fill, so don't waste reagents testing for it. If yuouir FC shows zero, that is to be expected. If there's some CC in there, it may be from the water company. Chloramines prevent pipe rusting or something.

Just run the tests the way the videos show, make your best attempt at figuring out what you need to add, and then post your results and what you think you need. Someone will be along to check your math.

Not sure if this will be of much help to you guys, but if you have a Pinch a Penny anywhere near you, you can fill up a jug or jar with your pool water and bring it to them, and they will test it in the store (for free) and tell you what you need and how much to add. It is all overwhelming, you'll get the hang of it as the year progresses though! Enjoy your pool :)

Not sure if this will be of much help to you guys, but if you have a Pinch a Penny anywhere near you, you can fill up a jug or jar with your pool water and bring it to them, and they will test it in the store (for free) and tell you what you need and how much to add. It is all overwhelming, you'll get the hang of it as the year progresses though! Enjoy your pool :)

And the test is as good as you paid for it -- nothing.

One of the major commandments of Trouble Free Pool is to test your own water. That is the cornerstone of everything.

If you are ever at a pool store, you are headed for bigger problems than when you arrived.

Sorry for recommending pool store testing. It was what we did at first until we learned the ropes, and our local store was extremely helpful - didnt try to sell us products and even instructed us on how to use the TF100 kit we purchased online. Im a newbie on this forum, so I havent learned all the major commandments yet. Sorry again for "breach in protocol" lol. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I appreciate all the comments, thank you!!

We tested and here's our first results:

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 300
CH - 110
No CYA.

We've added 121 oz of 6% bleach.
Excellent! All you really need right now is some CYA and some bleach. With no CYA dissolved yet, target 3 FC. Think you can figure out how to calculate that using poolmath? Add that. Give it a couple minutes and it'll be safe for kids. And while they're begging to get in, you busy yourself measuring out CYA granules into a sock. Hang it on front of the return stream or set it in the skimmer (if equipped) and give it a day or two to dissolve. You'll need to add the 3 FC every day, preferably just before swimmers get in, until the CYA dissolves. Then you can set things right using [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Excellent! All you really need right now is some CYA and some bleach. With no CYA dissolved yet, target 3 FC. Think you can figure out how to calculate that using poolmath? Add that. Give it a couple minutes and it'll be safe for kids. And while they're begging to get in, you busy yourself measuring out CYA granules into a sock. Hang it on front of the return stream or set it in the skimmer (if equipped) and give it a day or two to dissolve. You'll need to add the 3 FC every day, preferably just before swimmers get in, until the CYA dissolves. Then you can set things right using [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thank you!! Where is the best place to purchase CYA? I'm looking online to see who carries it locally, but not having much luck just yet.

Good old Walmart. Look for a bottle of granules labeled Stabilizer. When you look at the ingredients it will say cyanuric acid.

Hi Kmc! You can do this - absolutely!

I attach my sock to a floating pool toy using a zip tie. I get a really large tube sock, attach the zip tie to an inch or so of one side of the top of the sock, then attach and zip the tie to the floating toy. I use a good size rubber ducky that has a small ring on it. You can use pool noodles, or anything that floats. Fill the sock with the granules (not quite to the top). Let it float for an hour or so. Then whenever you get a chance or when you're in the pool, squeeze the sock for about 5-10 minutes or longer. I usually do that 2-3 different times, and it gets all dissolved. I hope this makes sense. Be sure to ask any and all questions!

Suz

The granules are definitely cheaper, but as an added incentive, I once bought the liquid and used part of it, and guess what happened to the rest? It turned into a solid block of CYA that took me forever to dissolve!

The granules are definitely cheaper, but as an added incentive, I once bought the liquid and used part of it, and guess what happened to the rest? It turned into a solid block of CYA that took me forever to dissolve!

That sounds like a disaster! Yikes!!

I finally located some stabilizer today, WM was totally sold out and completely picked over of EVERYTHING. I guess soaring temps will do that. We'll run our second run through of the numbers here shortly and post results and what I plan to add. Fingers crossed!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.