New pool owners in the desert

r0dr160

Jul 20, 2022
Palm Springs
My husband and I just bought a house with a pool and spal and we are both first time pool owners. We want to take good care of our pool but we don't really know where to start. A friend recommended TFP and I've been browsing some of the Pool School articles. I've already ordered the test kits.

We moved into the new place a couple of weeks ago and we've kept the pool service that the previous owners had for now, but our goal is to take care of the pool ourselves. The pool service comes twice week and do their thing on their own. We have not even see them, we only know that they've come because the leafs have been removed. But other than that we're not really sure what is it that they do. We plan on meeting with them next time they come to introduce ourselves and ask them questions about the service they're providing. We also would like to ask them about the equipment. What equipment do we have, how does it work, etc?

So, what questions should we ask the pool service people? What kind of information is important to have so that we can do the maintenance ourselves?

Also, the waterfall from the spa to the pool has a lot of (calcium ?) buildup. Any advice on how to remove it?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I would recommend you first bookmark and read our Pool Care Basics page. This way you'll have a basic understanding of what is going on. On this forum, using the proper test kit, either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, is the foundation for all water chemistry. Never rely on test strips or local testing. Pool owners should utilize daily chlorination either in liquid form or by a Salt Water Generator (SWG). Chlorine tablets are fine for short term use, but when over used they increase the CYA level too high.

Maintaining the pool is quite easy once you understand the link above and apply it. We'll be happy to help.