chillygarlic

Apr 26, 2022
West Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all. I've had a pool for about 2 and a half years, but this is the first year I've really started trying to take care of it correctly. My pool turned green while I was waiting for replacement laterals to come in. I've been testing and letting the SLAM method do its thing, and the water is much better, but I have a couple of questions. My CYA seems to be low often - I do have to add water every other day due to evaporation and probably a slow.leak that I need to have someone find. What is the best way to maintain CYA levels?

Also, what can I do about these stains on the bottom of the pool?

Levels as of today:
FC 3.5
CC 0
Ph 7.1 (lowered to attempt to lower TA)
TA 130
CH 450
CYA 20 (it was 40 a few days ago)

Attachments

• 20220501_172041.jpg
    20220501_172041.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 7
Hey there Chilly... welcome to TFP
CYA does not leave with evaporation, only the water does. So in fact you must have some sort of leak if its going away that quickly? How are you testing- which kit??
How are you sanitizing normally??
Buy some granular CYA and hang it over the edge in a sock (on a broom for example) and put in enough to get you back to 30ppm.

Any chance those could be copper stains from cheap algaecides or copper contaiining pucks??

Maddie :flower:

Hey there Chilly... welcome to TFP
CYA does not leave with evaporation, only the water does. So in fact you must have some sort of leak if its going away that quickly? How are you testing- which kit??
How are you sanitizing normally??
Buy some granular CYA and hang it over the edge in a sock (on a broom for example) and put in enough to get you back to 30ppm.

Any chance those could be copper stains from cheap algaecides or copper contaiining pucks??

Maddie :flower:
I'm using the TF 100 kit - I'll test again to see if it was user error. I sanitize with liquid chlorine. I haven't used any algaecides or pucks (except in the skimmer, but I don't use them anymore). The stains seemed to come up last year after a particularly bad episode with algae and lack of cleaning, which I'll just go ahead and admit was my fault.

Once you get your leak and and CYA figured out, raise your FC a point or two. That and some extra brushing may be enough to help it along.
Have you seen this? --> Stains in Your Pool
Thanks! I'll try to figure it out by process of elimination. I've been at SLAM levels for about a week until today, which helped a ton with the walls these stains are just stubborn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.