New pool owner trying to tame green swamp

Apr 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool has been dark green for a couple of months now.
Just got the test kit and did a water test.

FC - 0
CC or TC - 0
pH - >8.2
TA - 70
CH - 400
CYA - 0

what should I do, should I just start dumping some bleach tomorrow to get started?

Go to PoolMath and see how much Muriatic Acid it will take to lower pH to 7.2 - add the acid slowly and one quart at a time and retest every half hour. It is very strong. Handle with care. You can get MA at Lowes in the paint section.

Next add Stabilizer in a sock hanging in front of the return with pump on to raise CYA to 30-40 (check PoolMath for amount. Again, better to put in less and slowly than to overshoot. There is no way to lower CYA other than replacing the water, so be careful.)

When your pH is 7.2 and CYA 30-40, then check the CYA/Chlorine chart and maintain above your Shock level according to the SLAM procedure.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link to chart

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

but you have to put your info in PoolMath first and get those numbers up before you start to SLAM

Also, go to the Pool School section and read up on the process. It sounds more complicated than it is. Hardest part is patience - can take a couple weeks

One more thing, are you sure your pool is 45,000 gallons? That is a huge pool and the size makes a big difference when it comes to chemicals. You do not want to add too much, as I said above, some are impossible to remove. Just check to make sure you know exactly how many gallons your pool holds.

What water sample size for the FAS-DPD chlorine test are you using?
Do you have a cover?

If you are passing the OCLT and the water is clear, I might be inclined to just ignore the low CC for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.