New pool owner - some general questions

Travis88

Aug 15, 2021
Dallas TX
Hello! We recently moved into a house with a 6 year old in ground concrete (plaster?) pool that is NOT saltwater. The previous owner had been using stabilized chlorine tabs and Calcium hypochlorite. After reading as many articles as I could at TFP, I have some questions that I've been unable to find answers to. First, here's the testing results I measured today:
pH = 7.5
Free Chlorine = 2 ppm
Total Alkalinity = 110 ppm
Ca hardness = 450 ppm
CYA = 80 ppm

And now the questions. Thanks in advance for steering me in the right direction!

1. Obviously my CYA is too high. I have NO idea how to drain half my pool. From Google searching, looks like I should rent/buy a pump and drain the water to my sewer cleanout? Alternatively, I could pay a company to drain/refill it? Can somebody help!?
2. Everywhere I read, having an FC level above 4 ppm is UNSAFE for swimming, but TFP recommends routinely having higher FC levels. For example, target FC is 6-8 ppm in a liquid chlorine pool with CYA at 50 ppm. What am I missing here?

Welcome to TFP :)

The 1 to 4 FC levels you talk about are without CYA, so with no CYA in the water 4 FC would be REALLY HIGH.. That is why public pools are so bad on your skin and you can feel the chlorine when you get out as most do not use CYA...

Today you need to take your FC between 9 to 11 using liquid chlorine so your pool does not turn green.. FC/CYA Levels Keep FC between 9 to 11every day till you get the water lowered... Use poolmath to get exactly what you need, it is a great tool.. PoolMath

Here is a great video explaining everything.. :)

And here a more great videos..

Welcome to TFP :)

The 1 to 4 FC levels you talk about are without CYA, so with no CYA in the water 4 FC would be REALLY HIGH.. That is why public pools are so bad on your skin and you can feel the chlorine when you get out as most do not use CYA...

Today you need to take your FC between 9 to 11 using liquid chlorine so your pool does not turn green.. FC/CYA Levels Keep FC between 9 to 11every day till you get the water lowered... Use poolmath to get exactly what you need, it is a great tool.. PoolMath

Here is a great video explaining everything.. :)

And here a more great videos..

Thank you! Very helpful explanation and video! Hopefully somebody can chime in on the 50% pool draining I need to do so I’m not buying chlorine by the truckload!

You can rent a trash pump from home depot I believe.. Make sure your water level in ground is not high, you do not want your pool to pop out of the ground.. Then empty it and refill...

Here is a great page with lots of options :)

You can rent a trash pump from home depot I believe.. Make sure your water level in ground is not high, you do not want your pool to pop out of the ground.. Then empty it and refill...

Here is a great page with lots of options :)

Thanks again! I just added 7.5% bleach to get FC levels to the right range per the table!

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.