New pool owner questions (pumps, lights)

Texasnative

Nov 28, 2020
Texas
Hi all, happy new owner of a pool in our new house. Previous owners built it in 2017. Couple questions as pools are a bit more complicated since the last time my family owned one. First, the pumps, spillway, filter pump, etc. are controlled by an aqua link and set on a schedule. We have a hot tub that spills into the pool and a negative edge below that. Pool is 50k gallons and around 1100 sq ft of surface area. I’m still using the schedule I inherited which has the spillway on from 6:00am-6:00pm, filter pump from 08:00am-5:00pm, cleaner on from 10:00am-1:00pm, and the waterfall on for 5 mins in the middle of the day. Is the spillway/filter pump running the correct amount of time? Or was this a summer type schedule? Any reason to run the waterfall for 5 mins every day?

Next question is pertaining to a light we have inside the pool pump enclosure. I can’t see to find a way to turn it on and I’m wondering if it is a heat lamp for freezing temps? Does it automatically come on if so?
Third question, we are about to have our first light freeze next week. Anything I need to do with running the pumps during the cold weather or let them run their normal cycle?

Thanks in advance, Rex. ps if I put this in the wrong sub forum please feel free to move it.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to play around on my computer tomorrow to get the signature updated but I have a few pictures of our equipment from the pool inspection I can share. Hopefully this provides a little more info.

Attachments

• 8A3FF495-65A5-4EE2-A195-B9B22E7FEE2A.jpeg
    8A3FF495-65A5-4EE2-A195-B9B22E7FEE2A.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 27
  • FFC87207-7041-4C4D-B94F-EE11F9DE1318.jpeg
    FFC87207-7041-4C4D-B94F-EE11F9DE1318.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 28
  • D2CC8993-55C5-4000-A575-3D003D91D50E.jpeg
    D2CC8993-55C5-4000-A575-3D003D91D50E.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 23
  • D17A2F99-6AA8-4CBF-B38F-D2CFD17A60CB.jpeg
    D17A2F99-6AA8-4CBF-B38F-D2CFD17A60CB.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 23
It appears you have automation, read through Jandy Aqualink RS - Further Reading for details on it.

I doubt you need to run your pumps that much. Also, I imagine your running the spillway all the time drives your pH up. Do you manage your pool water chemistry? What test kit do you use?

I suspect your system has Freeze Protection and that will take of the low temperatures. The light I suspect is tied to your automation. Do you control your pool using an app on your phone?

Hi, I’m currently having the pool serviced by a local cleaning service that I also inherited from the previous owner. He does chemicals/testing weekly. He hasn’t mentioned anything out of the ordinary and has been with the pool a couple years now. Yes I have an app to control the pool functions/schedule but haven’t dived too deeply into it. On the pump times I thought the spillway was overkill. How about the filter pump? We don’t have a lot of trees or other debris getting into the pool for what that is worth.

Are you using the iAqualink app? If so click on equipment at the bottom of the app and see if you have a light listed there. The light could technically be set to turn on with freeze protection. To find that out, click on the web button at the top right of the app. Once that screen loads, click "menu" at the bottom, then "system setup", then "freeze protection". From there you should be able to see which devices have freeze protection on/off. If you have a lot of devices hit the page up/down button to scroll through them. See if you have a light listed there.

Spillway really only needs to run long enough to mix in fresh pool water and push any debris to the pool to be skimmed/filtered. I run mine an hour each day which is probably overkill.

Filter pump run time is more subjective I think around here. Some run 24x7 at a low rpm, some run just a few hours a day. One of the more experience members will probably give you better information on that.

Reactions: mknauss
To be honest, you need your own proper test kit and to take control of your water chemistry. Just our recommendation.

I agree with Mike, spillway does not need to run much, many set them up to run for 30 minutes or so twice a day. It sounds odd that you have a filter cycle as the spill way function filters the water too. Depends on how you are chlorinating the pool water as to how long you need to run the pump system. Also how much skimming needs to be done each day.

Are you using the iAqualink app? If so click on equipment at the bottom of the app and see if you have a light listed there. The light could technically be set to turn on with freeze protection. To find that out, click on the web button at the top right of the app. Once that screen loads, click "menu" at the bottom, then "system setup", then "freeze protection". From there you should be able to see which devices have freeze protection on/off. If you have a lot of devices hit the page up/down button to scroll through them. See if you have a light listed there.

Spillway really only needs to run long enough to mix in fresh pool water and push any debris to the pool to be skimmed/filtered. I run mine an hour each day which is probably overkill.

Filter pump run time is more subjective I think around here. Some run 24x7 at a low rpm, some run just a few hours a day. One of the more experience members will probably give you better information on that.

Thanks for the info. I looked through the freeze protection tab and no light is listed. I have an extra aux that I can’t figure out what it does but it doesn’t turn the light on, I’ve tried it.

Bulb blown? Other than taking the light apart and checking with a multimeter I’m out of ideas. You can also take the cover off the panel and see where the wires go. Obviously don’t do this if your not comfortable about electrical panels. Might be easier to just ask the pool guy if you haven’t already.

Reactions: Texasnative

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tex,

Welcome to TFP! Sounds like a nice sized pool. What part of Texas? How is the pool currently being disinfected?

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.