new pool owner, questions on pump pressure

I'm on city water, not well water. I'll take a sample of my pool water and the tap water in for testing as soon as I can. I'm thinking with all of the rain we had in Jan/Feb, maybe runoff caused the high iron?

My biggest concern with draining 1/2-3/4 of the pool is the potential flooding of my back yard as well my neighbors. That's a lot of water. I'd need about 4000' of backwash hose to run it out to the ditch line near the road. How do others handle this?

I'll be ordering 5lbs of ascorbic acid and start that process after I get the water samples tested, but 99% sure it's iron, I was able to clean the steps and a good section of wall and some floor with a bottle of vitamin c.
A couple of comments, do you have iron stains on some of your fixtures in the house (toilet, sinks, shower?)
Having neighbors and 4000' from the street are two interesting combinations for sure. If you have city sewer, is there a cleanout that you can dump into?

Lets see how the tests come back before we offer some more options. The key will be the tap water results. I wouldn't think that you would have enough iron rich water running off into the pool to cause that kind of staining.

Can you post a picture of your pool/water.

We’re on public sewer, not sure about the clean out, will have to look. The back yard is 1 acre with the pool near the far end.
No iron staining anywhere in the house, I doubt the tap water has iron.

The white areas are where we dropped in some vitamin c tablets randomly. You'll also see a small amount of sudsing on the water, most of it is gone now.

Last edited:
I've ordered 5lbs ascorbic acid, should arrive next week. Local pool store could not test iron, out of tests, maybe in a week or two. Not my day today!

But, I'm sure the pool water has iron, unless something else reacts to vitamin c? No iron stains in the house, so tap water is probably clean. My pool does have a heat pump style heater, could the plumbing in it be leaching iron into the water?

I'm not planning on doing any water changes until I get the ascorbic acid in-hand then ready to get rid of the iron stains and get the CYA level to where it needs to be.

Iron would not come from a heater.

Do you have a water softener for your house water?

Ok -- I was just being sure that any iron in the water was not being removed by a softener.

Only source of iron is your water. So I suspect that do to evaporation your iron level built up over time.

A large water exchange should reset things at the end of the AA treatment.

I did the AA treatment on Sunday. I started with 2.5 lbs, waited about 1 hour and noticed very little change. Added another 2.5 lbs, and after another 30 minutes, all but the darkest stains were gone. I let it sit over night, and the next morning, crystal clear!

I've since dumped 6" of water twice (second time last night), and will check the CYA level again this evening. I can tell it's going down, having to put more in the graduated cylinder each time, hopefully it will be less than 100 this evening. Then I can focus on getting all of the other levels where they should be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.