New pool owner - question

Admm85

Jul 7, 2010
Hi,

We just set up our first pool, its a 16x3'6 intex inflatable pool with a krystal clear filter. Our only water source is our pond, we have a huge system set up in our basement completed w/ a chlorinator and two huge water tanks and 3 wall filters. I'm sure there's more but unless you need complete details I don't know off hand, that's not my department :?

It took us a while to get it filled up but now it is all said and done, and the water is not pretty looking.. Its a yellowish color and I'm not liking it.

The book that comes w/ the pool isn't good for details on what exactly needs to be done. I have bought some test strips and shock and chlorine sanitizing tablets. I added 1lb of the shock to the pool and added (5) 1" chlorine tablets by HTH.

I just finished doing a test strip and got the following readings

FC: 3/6
PH: 7.5 - 7.8 (kinda right in the middle, too hard to distinguish which one)
TA: 40
TH: 200
CYA: 30-50

I'm not exactly sure what all I can do or what I can add that won't throw the readings off too much to turn the water clear or at least a little more clear. I'm new to this and don't understand what exactly all the chemicals do and when its safe enough to be swim ready.

TIA!
~Auty

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Before you get much further along, also note that the HTH chlorine tablets usually contain copper. You don't want that in your water!

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
The test strips are only marginally better than taste-testing your water. Get a good test kit. They're compared in Pool School, where you ought to do some reading. If the pool is going to stay up all year, be careful with the tablets - they'll raise CYA to astronomical levels. If it'll get drained at the end of summer, who cares?

Other Threads of Interest