Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
Hey everyone, just closed on our "forever" home a month ago and now getting ready to "deal" with the pool.
Pool was finished in 2020. Current set up is using an autopilot SWCG, with 2 1.5HP pumps (assuming 1 is for the filter
and the other for waterfalls?), Hayward DE Filter, Aquacal Heater, Intermatic Timer and Dolphin M400 vaccum.

Pool is still closed but I schedued the builder to open it on Monday to see how it's supposed to be setup and I can then
open/close on my own moving forward. Been reading lots and lots on here and other websites as well as the manufacturers'
for their recommendations. I will be using the Taylor K2006 kit.

Would appreciate if someone with experience could "check" my plans and correct me on anything I might be thinking of doing
that is likely to create more problems than the ones it solves.

My plan is to use a solar cover most of the time except weekends. I will be running my pump/filter at night, and have to figure out heating
runtimes (not sure about cost benefits of always on vs only when the pool will be used). Also planning on using the vaccum once a week.
Brushing, skimming, water testing and balancing around twice a week (more if necessary). To get the pool started, I will start slamming monday night.

First question for now is about CYA. As per the Chlorine/CYA chart the recommended CYA level for SWCG is 70-90. However, owner's manual of the
Digital Nano says recommended level is 30-50. Which one should I aim for? (I know for the slam process 30-50 is ideal) but once
I'm done with the slam should I stay at this level as per autopilot or should I raise it to 70?

More questions will come as my slam/maintenance progresses, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to TFP! :wave: No need to attempt the SLAM Process until you receive your Taylor K-2006C test kit. Be sure to get the "C" model. Run a full set of test results and consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first to confirm there is algae - unless you actually see if present of course. You want a low CYA level for a SLAM Process as it requires a lower FC level to save of chlorine. But once the SLAM is over (pass all 3 criteria), you do indeed want a higher CYA of 70-80. That helps to preserve the free chlorine generated by the SWG. Some manufactures now recognize that (i.e. Circupool) but not all - yet. I'll let the others reply about heating water. I don't have to do that in south Texas. :)

Reactions: Camilo_Z
Ahhh...the cover on/off debate. Your plan is fine. You may find there is a benefit to uncovering the pool every once in a while if you see CC climb. Sun will burn off those CCs. You may just have to play around with it. Cover on helps with heat, evaporation (particularly if it is windy or low humidity), and keeps pH rise to a minimum. Other than that, kinda personal preference.

As to the heater, I'm in Ohio, so about same latitude. I turned my heater to 84 on May 25, off October 20th. $1307 for the year. Have 30K gallons, 336K BTU heater. Takes a couple days to raise temp 20 degrees. It was easier for ME to just set it and forget it.

I would brush, skim and test FC, AT A MIMUMUM DAILY, until you get a feel for the pool and get the SWCG dialed in. I would have some Liquid Chlorine (LC) on hand as SWCG isn't made to raise FC, do that with LC, then use SWCG to maintain your FC level. Also nice to have LC on hand for those high bather load days to top it off.

BTW, I test FC Daily. You may find that you will want to test pH daily also until you get a feel for how your pool behaves. I do a TA, CH, pH, CYA and Salt test weekly, just because. Lots of folks test Salt, CH and CYA monthly because it changes so slowly, or doesn't matter (CH in Vinyl Liner).

If I were you, I would test FC and pH daily until you understand how your pool behaves, cover on, off, sun, water evaporation, water add, bathers etc.

I learned that my pool for whatever reason loses more CYA than is typical, so I test weekly There are a few of us here with this unique attribute. You will learn your unique attributes.

Thanks! will start with cover off and brush/skim/test daily and once I get the hang of it I will introduce the cover at nights and see how it
affects my "balance".

Hello everyone,

So I think I already made the first boo boo.
At least I'm hoping it's not a serious mistake.

PB opened the pool on Monday and added 4#
of shock (not sure what type).

I received the Taylor test kit today and tested.
I think I linked the results to my profile.

Now, in order to start the slam I added CYA
since the reading was at zero.

I of course didn't check the forum on how to add CYA.
Instructions on the bag said broadcast on deeper end.
I tried diluting first in a 5gal bucket of water but not all
dissolved and so I noticed a bunch of CYA sitting at the
bottom of the pool. I immediately started brushing left and right
to agitate until I didn't see any more powder on the liner.
Now for you experienced folks, is this going to damage my liner?

Last, how long do I wait to test CYA level? I tested a couple of hours
afted I stopped brushing and got a result between 30-40.

Thank you.

I doubt it will hurt your liner since you dealt with it quickly. I did the exact same thing around 2009. With instruction from the good folks here I swept the CYA into the drain. No damage. In fact, I still have the same liner.

Last, how long do I wait to test CYA level? I tested a couple of hours
afted I stopped brushing and got a result between 30-40.

How much CYA did you add?

What was the expected effect of adding the stabilizer?

Give the stabilizer a few days to fully dissolve before you add more. Given how it was added you don’t know how much is in your filter still dissolving.

CYA 40 is fine in our area this time of year and get it up around 60 by the summer time. 70-90 really is not necessary in the NY area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Allen,

Thanks for your help.

PoolMath said to add 56oz to get it up to 30.
However, I only added 30oz to see if my pool
measurement was accurate. PB said the pool
had 15k gal, I took some measurements and I
estimated it to be no more than 14k gallons.

I'm gonna test again on Friday to start my slam.

Thanks again.
How much CYA did you add?

What was the expected effect of adding the stabilizer?

Give the stabilizer a few days to fully dissolve before you add more. Given how it was added you don’t know how much is in your filter still dissolving.

CYA 40 is fine in our area this time of year and get it up around 60 by the summer time. 70-90 really is not necessary in the NY area.

so pool has been clear since Wednesday night.
I had to backwash on Wednesday due to high
filter pressure. So I added CYA again using a
sock in the skimmer. I also added liquid chlorine
to bring FC up to 12.

FC held up until Friday that we had some sun
and Chlorine went down during the day.
I passed the first OCLT from Friday night to
Saturday morning and again last night.

So am I safe to say I'm done SLAMing since my
pool is clear, passed the FC loss test twice in a
row and my CC are below 0.5?

I'm now gonna add salt so I can let the SWCG
take over my FC demand and adjust as it goes.

Thanks everyone.

Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.