New Pool Owner of a reasonably neglected pool!

Badweatherva

Aug 27, 2023
Fredericksburg, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
20230802_091207.jpgHello all! We just purchased a new home mid July with a pool that needs some love. I have been successful in replacing the filter grids, getting the water balanced and even battling the algae that grew while we were on vacation. This pool has LOTS of potential but I need some help with these "Stains". They do not scrub off and if you look close enough on the deep end side they actually have a perfect line on the bottom which leads me to believe the water level must have dropped that low and then debri filled it in and/or its also black algae. We did what was called a "super shock" by the local pool company and it definitely killed all my green algae but this remains the same. I brush it with a wire brush daily and some algae does come off but it doesn't cha get the stained color. We are having the plumbing redone in spring and converting it to salt water. My question is do these stains require me to drop the water level and power wash or otherwise clean it or what do I do? And when? We are closing end of September. If dropping the water is the only answer do we do that before closing or in spring? It will be a multi day event bc we would flood out all the neighbors! Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If the stains are organic, then using a proper test kit to conduct a SLAM Process would be ideal. Pass all 3 SLAM criteria, then maintaina slightly elevated FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels for a while may help. To help test for organics, try sprinkling a llittle cal-hypo on a stained area. If that doesn't work, try rubbing a stain with a Vitamin C tablet to ensure it's not iron.

We can help you through many of these items and much more here at TFP. Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics and we strongly urge you to consider getting a TF-Series test kit (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. Everything you do from here on out begins with accurate testing at home, not the pool store.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If the stains are organic, then using a proper test kit to conduct a SLAM Process would be ideal. Pass all 3 SLAM criteria, then maintaina slightly elevated FC level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels for a while may help. To help test for organics, try sprinkling a llittle cal-hypo on a stained area. If that doesn't work, try rubbing a stain with a Vitamin C tablet to ensure it's not iron.

We can help you through many of these items and much more here at TFP. Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics and we strongly urge you to consider getting a TF-Series test kit (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. Everything you do from here on out begins with accurate testing at home, not the pool store.
The local pool company sold me some absorbic acid *vitamin c* but they also said it dissolves when it gets wet so I'm confused as to how to get it om the deep end side walls? Thank you for the advice, I am really enjoying learning and my background as an icu nurse has shockingly come in handy when dealing with ph, alkalinity ect. It makes sense to me! That being said we have a long way to go, although it is swimable now. We will be closing with a tarp this year bc the cost of the safety cover (even though we have the place they attach to on the cement) is too much for us to spend when we plan on a replumb (we have some sort of air leak pre-pump) and convert to salt in the spring. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Put some vitamin C tablets in a sock. Crush them a bit, or not. Scrub the sock on the stains to see if they lift. If so, it is IRON.

If you have any leftover Trichlor tabs, take one and rub it on the stain. If they lift, it is organic staining.

This guide can help...

Put some vitamin C tablets in a sock. Crush them a bit, or not. Scrub the sock on the stains to see if they lift. If so, it is IRON.

If you have any leftover Trichlor tabs, take one and rub it on the stain. If they lift, it is organic staining.

This guide can help...

Of course they sold me vitamins c powder.... overpriced. Where do you recommend buying chemicals?

Liquid Chlorine, HD, ACE, Lowe's and Walmart. Just search on their sites for "Liquid Chlorine." Walmart 10% liquid chlorine has been about the best price this year.
Muriatic Acid. HD, ACE, lowe's.
Chlorine Stabilizer, Walmart or Amazon. Just get 100% and buy the lowest priced.
Calcium Chloride, I buy from the PoolStore (don't tell anyone). They have downflake and is really pure.
If you have a SWCG, buy Diamond Crystals Solar Naturals from Lowes/HD, depending on who has the best price.
Not much else you really need.

As for Vitamin C tabs, the drug store. You only need a handful for testing. Read the guide I posted for remediation.

Liquid Chlorine, HD, ACE, Lowe's and Walmart. Just search on their sites for "Liquid Chlorine." Walmart 10% liquid chlorine has been about the best price this year.
Muriatic Acid. HD, ACE, lowe's.
Chlorine Stabilizer, Walmart or Amazon. Just get 100% and buy the lowest priced.
Calcium Chloride, I buy from the PoolStore (don't tell anyone). They have downflake and is really pure.
If you have a SWCG, buy Diamond Crystals Solar Naturals from Lowes/HD, depending on who has the best price.
Not much else you really need.

As for Vitamin C tabs, the drug store. You only need a handful for testing. Read the guide I posted for remediation.
This is what drives me nuts. I was told my *pool store* to not buy chlorox or brands from Walmart. I have only used shock, *super shock, which doesn't affect cya* chlorine tabs in chlorinator, algacide , then they had me on some *super swamp algacide* and I've used 20lba total of calcium chloride since mid July. Mind you this pool came to me looking like something that Shrek would live in, so I feel I'm doing ok but spending a ton.

This is what drives me nuts. I was told my *pool store* to not buy chlorox or brands from Walmart. I have only used shock, *super shock, which doesn't affect cya* chlorine tabs in chlorinator, algacide , then they had me on some *super swamp algacide* and I've used 20lba total of calcium chloride since mid July. Mind you this pool came to me looking like something that Shrek would live in, so I feel I'm doing ok but spending a ton.
Side note. Does that link explain to me the difference between liquid chlorine and tabs?

Side note. Does that link explain to me the difference between liquid chlorine and tabs?
No. Liquid Chlorine is just that liquid chlorine...Sodium Hypochlorite. Tabs also have chlorine, but Cyanuric Acid is used as a binder, so when you use TABS you are adding CYA.

This is what drives me nuts. I was told my *pool store* to not buy chlorox or brands from Walmart.
We generally recommend that people do NOT use Chlorox products. The bleach has polymers, the salt can sometimes have contaminants. The Chlorine Stabilizer, however is fine.
I have only used shock, *super shock, which doesn't affect cya* chlorine tabs in chlorinator, algacide , then they had me on some *super swamp algacide* and I've used 20lba total of calcium chloride since mid July. Mind you this pool came to me looking like something that Shrek would live in, so I feel I'm doing ok but spending a ton.
You don't need all that stuff. These few articles should help you understand...and safe some big bucks...Pool Store PoolStored me for $1500 before I figured it out...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW, have you gotten a test kit yet? A must if you are going to manage your pool. Link-->Test Kits Compared
I just went to test kit site and am wondering if I need to add on everything like the slam kit ect. This is so much info, I am afraid I am missing something. We are transitioning to salt in the spring and wonder if I should wait to buy the salt water kit then. We have a closing date of Oct. 9 as of now.

If you are shopping on the TFTESTKits site, you can't go wrong. You could order the TF-100 by itself now and get the Taylor K-1766 salt kit next spring. Or you could order the TF-100 Salk kit or the TF-Pro Salt kit now. The good thing about the TF-Pro series kits is that they include the smart stir which you definitely want to have. Makes mixing much easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.