New Pool Owner - No Idea What I'm Doing

BeaverLakeAndy

Dec 21, 2019
Beaver Lake, NE
I purchased a home that has a 20x40 in ground pool a month ago. I see the plumbing and filter system and literally don't know what is what. I don't know why there are two pumps, or what the various valves are for. Could someone please explain what is what in these pics? Thanks in advance!
C2458FE0-2797-4C59-B695-DDE7230CB6D4.jpegAFB262D3-1BB1-49E2-A5B2-07A059BE0066.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

The white pump is your main pool pump. The black pump powers your pressure pool cleaner.

The 3 valves with lever handles are on 3 suction lines into your pool pump. How many skimmers do you have and do you have a main drain? If you have 2 skimmers and a main drain it is likely one pipe is for each.

Is the pump running and water circulating through the pool now? I am not familiar with those valves but think they are all closed.

Here is a diagram showing your equipment and water flow for you to ask questions and us to discuss your pools operation.

beaver.jpeg

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Andy,

The small grey space ship device is Zodiac/Jandy Mineral dispenser... The very first thing I would do is remove it... :mrgreen:

Here at TFP, we believe that the best sanitizer is plain old chlorine... You won't find much support for mineral systems here as they just do not work as advertised. If you don't have a sanitizer in your pool water, it will quickly turn green...

Another point, just in case you did not know already.. You have a single speed pump.. When reading this site you will see a lot of info about Variable Speed (VS) pumps because they only use about 25% of the electricity to run...

I would assume in your location, it is time for you to get the pool closed for the winter.

Have fun with your new "toy"...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Andy,

Boy are you in the right place! Our experts will talk you through closing the pool. Then you'll learn how to take care of it next year with dirt cheap with generic chemicals. But next you can start your Christmas list:
  • TF 100 test kit
  • Variable speed pump
  • SWCG
... I'm sure there will be more!

Welcome aboard!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.