McAllen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello Fellow TFP Members! New pool owner here down in South Texas and I am in need of some your knowledge and support. Pool was finished on Tuesday and finished filling up this morning... kids can't wait to jump in and honestly neither can the adults! Pool is a 15x30 (~15,000 Gallons) with offset infiniti edge spa 8x8 plus baja. We went with Quartzscapes Tahoe Blue in Pool and Spa and the baja is a Stonescapes White Mini Pebble! We are in love with the pool and color choices!

Pool Builder added 1 gallon of muriatic acid, the DE Powder and turned on the IntelliFlo VSF this morning! I added 16oz of 3-in-1 Surface Solution (Sequesterant) and the Pump has been running all day. I brushed the entire pool surface at 1:00PM and 10:00PM this evening. Builder added another gallon of muriatic acid this afternoon.

I did some reading in the Pool School section while the build took place and I ordered the TF-Pro with SmartStir Plus XL Kit! I have purchased the following items to help care for my pool although I know I need some additional items to get and keep the water right.

Already Purchased:
HDX 128 oz. Chlorinating Liquid - 10% (6 Bottles)
PoolTime Chlorine Stabilizer 5 lbs. Balancer (1 Bag)
Muriatic Acid - (4 Bottles)

Here are what I believe to be the water readings, sorry first time using kit and I am learning:
FC - 0.00
pH - <6.8 (Solution was Yellow)
TA - 0
CH - 325
CYA - 0

Where do I go from here? What else do I need to buy? Borax, Backing Soda, Calcium Chloride?

Looks like you are off to a good start. Have you read the plaster startup guide?

The main thing you should do is get CYA and FC up. You can use the sock method to get the CYA in and while it's dissolving poor the bleach in to get your FC to the right level.

FC/CYA Levels

After that you should report back so we can help you fix the TA/pH issue.

Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a good start. Have you read the plaster startup guide?

The main thing you should do is get CYA and FC up. You can use the sock method to get the CYA in and while it's dissolving poor the bleach in to get your FC to the right level.

FC/CYA Levels

After that you should report back so we can help you fix the TA/pH issue.
72 hours before adding cya, after adding cya by socks & dissolved (takes me about 15 min after letting them soak for 30min) then dosed my chlorine it's been pretty stable

72 hours before adding cya, after adding cya by socks & dissolved (takes me about 15 min after letting them soak for 30min) then dosed my chlorine it's been pretty stable
When you all say socks do you mean a skimmer sock or just regular athletic socks? The CYA I got is a 5lb bag of powder not tablets.

Thank You I understand now. I don’t have any direct returns in the pool as I only have 15 BlueSquare 360 pop up heads in the floor. Do I put instead in front of a spa jet or do you recommend I put somewhere else?

Thank You I understand now. I don’t have any direct returns in the pool as I only have 15 BlueSquare 360 pop up heads in the floor. Do I put instead in front of a spa jet or do you recommend I put somewhere else?
If its in a sock can put in skimmer basket & let soak for 30 min then start squeezing or just let soak then get in pool walking around squeezing (I do that since im in it anyway)

Do I put instead in front of a spa jet or do you recommend I put somewhere else?
This is my preferred method. But I have a vinyl liner. If you do this, might just have to make sure it does not wander to the side of the pool and rest against your plaster.

ACtC-3dTxZFEHDXEK7EdMSlW3hv61yKX-Io9I0QrSYBRsE4hpYfzW3aFVI9hhM6s1yetMthA0si7FY9kCXLullSLlEi7v5zfD-T2cdmFwaZ77fLSdGLGSo5Y7q6Gd_OBTrUWQleXnxXgKVCOWIrlaKS_R53LAg=w1920-h909-no

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you use the skimmer for dispersing the CYA, DO NOT backwash for the next week as it'll take time for all of it to be in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.