New Pool Owner....Leaves and Pinestraw?!

Okay, back to complain again....lol. So, a huge storm blew through tonight and within 15 minutes, the entire surface of my pool is covered in leaves and pine straw. I plan to get out in the morning and start cleaning it all up. But, it looks more like a South Georgia lily pad pond than a swimming pool. Over half the surface is covered thickly in leaves and pine straw. Not a normal occurrence, but the wind was strong and really blew a lot in it.

Do I just skim it off with the leaf net, top and bottom and run my pool robot afterward, or do all of you have leaf vacuums? I've been reading about leaf vacuums and they seem to work great. I'm not sure about hooking up a hose to one, as that much fresh water may throw my water chemistry off.....I'm new at this, so that may be a ridiculous statement. There is also one called a Pool Blaster Leaf Vacuum that's battery powered and gets good reviews. Is this something I am going to want, or is it unnecessary?

There are several that are similar....but something like this: Amazon.com : Pool Blaster 11A0000 Leaf Vac Pool Vacuum : Garden & Outdoor

I also ran the Dolphin a few times today and the entire bottom was spotless. I just used the leaf net to get the top cleaned off (about 8-10 full, heavy nets full to get it completely clean). Took 20-30 minutes, but was as good as new after a little work.

Looks like a good pool tool to have. Robots are good but not designed for heavy leaf removal but rather for the occasional few the make it to the bottom. Robots are to pricey to chance it for these chores and can eventually burn out the pumps.

Mayberry I can't remember if you have a main drain or not. If you do then you are good to go with days away from the pool. If not then you need to come up with a plan to keep the stuff out of the skimmers. Remind me and we can come up with a solid plan for time away.

Cleaning up when you are there-scoop, run the robot, clean the skimmers=your best bet.

Kim:kim:

Kind of late in the game here but I figured I'd respond. I have the same issues, not with pine needles but with leaves. I had 2 huge oak trees in the backyard. My backyard was a huge mess with leaves and the pool was a nightmare. I couldn't grow grass so it was a mess of dirt and leaves.
I swear I would just be done cleaning and the wind would blow and it would litter the pool with leaves again.
One day out of sheer anger I decided the trees had to go. Me and my dad, in the course of 2 weeks completely removed one tree (except the stump). The yard changed dramatically. Grass started to grow and the pool became manageable.
Now were looking at removing the other tree as well.
Sure, trees are beautiful and provide shade, but man, i hate it when instead of enjoying the pool, i spend the day working to maintain it.
I know it's not the answer for everyone, but worked for me.

Mayberry I can't remember if you have a main drain or not. If you do then you are good to go with days away from the pool. If not then you need to come up with a plan to keep the stuff out of the skimmers. Remind me and we can come up with a solid plan for time away.

Cleaning up when you are there-scoop, run the robot, clean the skimmers=your best bet.

Kim:kim:

I do have 2 main drains in the floor of the pool. Also have 2 skimmers, set opposite of each other: One on one side of the shallow end, and the other on the other side of the deep end. They do a great job of moving water and debris around the pool.

We generally take a few week-long beach trips in the spring and summer months. What do I do then? My main worry is when we go out of town on saltwater fishing trips in the fall: October and November mostly. We are sometimes gone 7-8 days, and this might be right in the middle of leaf season here. It also happens to be the best time to fish for trout and redfish in Gulf inshore waters. So, those trips won't be cancelled. Just need to find a gameplan for when we are away and leaves are falling.

A cheap cover to catch the junk so you can just blow it off when you get home. Put wood stakes around the pool and tie the cover so it is good and tight. You can get a solid cover or one of the opens ones. I think the solid might be a better bet as it will keep most everything out.

Since you have main drains your pump is not in danger of starving for water. Do what you can, when you can with the stuff that falls when you are home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.