New Pool Owner in Ft Worth

Smoedog

Mar 4, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
So we just moved into our new home with an inground pool. Estimating the pool to be around 12k gals by the online calculators. The components are:

Hayward Tristarr VS 900 Pump
Hayward C4030 Swimclear Filter
PowerClean Tab Ultra Tablet Feed
Hayward "The Pool Cleaner" 4 wheel cleaner.

First time owning a real pool and while I can read up and understand the chemical side, need some help with the mechanical/plumbing side of it all. Can ya'll take a look at my valve setup and give me some pointers.Valves.jpg

I have figured out the which valves control which skimmers, and the valve on the right either routes the return pressure to the normal jets or a little fountain on the tanning pad.

I am trying to figure out how to set these valves for everyday operation as well as setting the pump up as far as speeds and what not. So far all I have figured out is the pump wont flow enough at high speed to run both skimmers and the vacuum lol. Any help and tips ya'll can provide would be great to get me started.

Thanks

Hey Smoe and Welcome !!!
I swear that one of these days I will be able to couch surf my way across Texas simply by ringing doorbells. 'Hi, who are you on TFP ? @HermanTX ????? OMG get over here and gimme a hug bruh !!'

Anywho, great to have ya.
PowerClean Tab Ultra Tablet Feed
It's there for show and maybe vacations, correct ?
So far all I have figured out is the pump wont flow enough at high speed to run both skimmers and the vacuum
There should be a flap that covers the pipe in each skimmer to suck from the other. If not use the valves at the pad.
Any help and tips ya'll can provide would be great to get me started
Sound like you got it pretty good so far. Open the skimmer valves all the way and the main drain just a little for regular operation.

Find the lowest speed that makes the skimmer doors flap away every 15 seconds and that's your lowest normal run speed. Use 1 skimmer and do the same for the cleaner. Raise the RPMs when you need to clean.

Filtering changes throughout the season. If the water is clean, you can probably lower runtime. If there is pollen / small debris floating around, you need longer run time. Or, just run 24/7 at the lowest speed that skims. It will cost about $10 more a month to never have to care or touch it. (Except for cleaning) Anywho fire off questions anytime. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
@Newdude has you covered. Welcome to TFP, there are many contributors from throughout Texas.
Suction side cleaners are good but do take all the suction to make it efficient. If it breaks or if you want a change, it will be better to go with an electric robot. This way, you can permanently shut off the suction side and control your skimmers and main drain leading to the suction side of the pump.

It is recommended to review Test Kits Compared and purchase one so you have a proper test kit. Also it is helpful to have a Speed Stirrer to mix your solution for each test. Once you do your first test you can post the results.

As mentioned by @Newdude , the use of a Tab Feeder is not good for long term use. As you read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry you will see that CYA is an important component as to how much free chlorine is required to keep your pool sanitized. I would strongly suggest you switch to liquid chlorine. You can purchase it at Home Depot or Lowe's and even Leslie's pool store carries liquid chlorine but they will push you to keep using chlorine tabs.

We are all here to help. Once you get into the pool testing it is fun and you gain personal satisfaction that your pool is being properly maintained.

Reactions: Newdude
Awesome, Thank you for your help. When you say keep the main drain open just enough for the skimmer flaps to open every 15 seconds, I assume that is under the assumption the vacuum hose is disconnected and that port is blocked off? I need to replace the vacuum inlet as the spring loaded cover is broken off.

Once all that is setup and the skimmers are working as they should, that is the speed I run 24/7 unless I am running the vacuum to clean the pool, correct?

assume that is under the assumption the vacuum hose is disconnected and that port is blocked off? I need to replace the vacuum inlet as the spring loaded cover is broken off.
I believe I know what you are saying. So let's make sure. The skimmer has a front door that flaps. When it does, water rushes into the skimmer every 15 seconds or so. Once full the door floats again and it starts all over. It's called a Weir door and it's necessary for skimming. If this does not describe what you're talking about, post some pics.
Once all that is setup and the skimmers are working as they should, that is the speed I run 24/7 unless I am running the vacuum to clean the pool, correct?
Exactly. Also, just to be clear. You do not *have* to run 24/7. I did because lazy. But if little or nothing is falling in the pool after pollen season is done, it may only *need* 2-6 hours of filtering per day until the fall. And after get togethers or long swim days. Running 24/7 just stops the need to observe and tinker to adapt to seasonal changes and usage. Most VS pumps cost about $20 to run for the month at a lower speed and it would have already cost some or half of that anyway.

dog,

Your main problem is the plumbing in front of your pump uses 3-way valves. This forces you to shut off the main drain and one skimmer to make your vacuum cleaner work. You could change the plumbing, but the simplest solution is to move up into this Century and buy a Robot cleaner like this one.

Another issue might be your filter. As filters get dirty they restrict the flow of water, and often get dirty enough to cause suction side cleaners to not work well.

The whole point of having a VS pump is so you can run them slowly and save on the electrical bill. For reference, I run my pump at 1200 RPM, most of the time. This is plenty of suction to run two skimmers and plenty of return flow to run my Saltwater Chlorine Generator or SWCG. Having a saltwater pool allows me to not have a Tab feeder, because the SWCG makes all the chlorine the pool needs.

Thanks,

Jim R

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.