New pool owner in Atlanta

ckhorne

Mar 26, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hello all! I recently purchased a house with a pool and am trying to get up to speed on everything. I'm new to pools, but ran large, complicated saltwater/reef aquariums (800gallon system in my house) for years; so far, the pool is a lot easier... :)

From what I can tell, the pool was installed in 2002 and maintained by a local service company. The original owner was a single lady who I'm guessing didn't use it much for the past few years. There's been a lot of needed maintenance that I've found - leaks requiring new o-rings, valve handles broken, missing weir gate, etc. I had a separate pool inspection done when I purchased, and they noted one of the valve actuators wasn't working, among other things.

The pool sat (uncovered) from the time I bought it in early Jan to the first part of March. I had neglected any kind of maintenance until I had a chance to look at it, and it was already starting to turn green. I've since gotten the chemistry to acceptable levels (though still fine tuning), and am working my way through getting the equipment back up to fully working condition.

It looks like a good group on here - I'm hoping I can lean on you with some questions!