New pool owner green water

Algae - starting to lose hope

Please keep related posts in one thread. It makes it easier on everyone. -Karmabiker

Hello,

I started a post, www.troublefreepool.com/threads/82384-New-pool-owner-green-water, have been slamming for 14 days. The first five days the filter was on recirculate, once the water lightened up started the filter and was back washing every hour and half for the first couple of days. Now the filter runs at least 24 hours between backwash. So i have been filtering for 9 days and the water doesn't seem to be getting any lighter. It is a light green and there is foam on top. When i started the slam my CC was 12 now everyday it is between 4 and 2.
Day 13 Rain
tested at 8:45 FC-9 CC-2 added bleach to get to 12.
Rain stopped tested at 3:15 FC-10 CC 2.5 added bleach to get to 12
7:45 FC 14 CC 2 back-washed the filter.

Day 14
8:45
FC 12
CC 3
Cya 30
TA 100
Ph 7.2

Back-washed at 10:30. Seems like I am getting nowhere with clearing the water. I brush twice a day and keep leaves out and it stays the same color.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The CCs are remaining low but not lowering further which means your chlorine is still battling something in the pool. It must look better than when you started. It took a lot of neglect to get it to this point so it's going to take time and a big can of POP (Pool Owner Patience), especially with a large pool. Are you still bringing up any debris off the bottom if you leaf rake or see it floating around when you brush?

I'd go ahead and target a higher FC, such as 14-16 to attempt to accelerate the gains and consider deep cleaning your sand filter if you have not already. Deep Cleaning a Sand...

Update Day 22 decide to deep clean filter. When i tried to remove the valve the center pvc with laterals attached pulled up. When i looked inside the filter was less than half full of sand, three broken laterals.( previous owner told me he just redid the filter) Called pool store in town, 2 laterals (8.95) pool sand 12.95. Fifty miles away 8 laterals (6.95 each) Home Depot pool sand (6.65 a bag). Twenty-four hours later filter is back up and running. I am now on day 25 water is still light green. Brush twice a day and drag the bottom.

I add 1 cup D.E. after every backwash.
Readings are:
F.C. 11.5 (added 23 oz Bleach)
C.C. 1
TA 80
Cya 30
PH 7.4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, you should start noticing a difference now that the filter is fixed. Sorry that you had to repair it, but glad it wasn't super expensive.

Since you are still battling algae, you can save some reagent by:

1. Not testing for CC's until the water is clearer.
2. Don't bother testing PH if your FC is above 10. The PH test is not accurate when FC is 10 or above.
3. Test CYA only after you have replaced a good amount of water.
4. Don't worry about TA until after your pool is crystal clear.

Day 52, 27 days after rebuilding the filter i can say the pool is clean and clear.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42178317/IMG_1013.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42178317/IMG_1014.JPG

Just in time to winterize, we did get to use the pool the weekend after Labor Day, the shallow end was clear. Our mini Aussie enjoyed it now knowing what that thing is he fell in when we bought the house.

Cost:
140 bottles of bleach.
TF-100 test kit and three XL options.
Two shirts ruined.
6 bags of sand.
8 laterals.
Deep bag leaf rake.
Can't really put a cost on the satisfaction of turning a pond into a pool.
Thanks to everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.