Armour's Pool

Jun 14, 2022
Albuquerque, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am brand new and have been elected "pool boy" by the homeowner who has no experience either.
Chlorine is high but I am exposing to sun to lower it. TA is 110. PH is 7.4. Am I understanding the process to lower the TA corretly? I must lower the ph to 7.0-7.2 with acid, then aerate to bring ph back up to desired level. Pool math says to use Borax to lower ph. Previous owners left Clorox Pool & Spa Ph down. Can I use that product?

Am I understanding the process to lower the TA corretly? I must lower the ph to 7.0-7.2 with acid, then aerate to bring ph back up to desired level.
yes, that is the correct way, but would first want to know if your PH has been stable. Not every pool is exactly the same, and while 110 TA is considered "high", if your PH remains pretty stable, and the pool is "happy" at 110 TA, you could just leave it be. My pool tends to sit around 100 TA, and my PH remains in the low to mid 7's. I could lower my PH, then aerate to bring it up, and see if this has an effect on my TA, but if I keep doing this over and over and over, its really not needed as all my other numbers are my priority.

Pool math says to use Borax to lower ph
Pool Math says Borax to RAISE PH. Muriatic Acid is used to lower PH.

Previous owners left Clorox Pool & Spa Ph down. Can I use that product?
I wouldn't, and you will find anyone here would say no as well. Clorox pool products are known to contain a lot of other junk, but the PH down is one of the worst. Just a pool store magic potion. the only thing you need to lower PH is muriatic acid.

If you embrace the TFP methods, even as a new pool boy, you will find it very easy to maintain a pool. You stay out of the pool stores where they sell junk that does nothing, or makes your pool worse, and spend little on chemicals that are usually pretty easy to track down. Chlorine and muriatic acid are probably the most you will need for now.

This is a great read for a new pool boy!

Thank you for your response. I did read incorrectly about Borax raising PH. I did read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and I think I understand it, although it's a big leap fron reading something to pouring chemicals in the proper amount in a pool. I read another thread about high alkalinity and it verifies you response. I had to read a bit more to acurately respond to you and I'm seeing that the vast majoroty of my questions will be answered on the TFP sight. I am gaining confidence and looking forward to learning this process and saving money. Thank you for you help. Joel

My numbers many times look similar. I usually just wait for the pH to go up to 7.8 or a bit more by blowing off CO2, then bring it back to 7.2 with MA. Just a few cups does it, slowly and carefully, diluted in a bucket of water in front of the return. The TA goes down. Wait a few days or so, I do it again.

Thanks. My problem is that starting next week I will be away from the pool for three months and the one who "chose" me will be in charge. I want to avoid the slippery slope of her having a "profesional" help while I'm away, then revert to TFP methods when I return. I am afraid they will sell her a bill of goods contrary to the methods I will learn here.

Hmmm. Maybe daily or couple days, posting of a screenshot of the poolmath page with results into an email to you, then what to add in a reply. Or just the result numbers and you plug that into poolmath, then reply. All with training on how to add each component before travel.
Might be worth a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.