New pool owner, creating spreadsheet for chemistry levels and have some questions

jodibug

Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey folks! Thanks so much for all of your help during the pre-build and build phases. We now have a beautiful pool and I'm working on refreshing my memory on maintenance. Since I'm a documentarian by trade, I'm making a spreadsheet to use as a reference. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help clear up. If there's a resource I've overlooked, feel free to point me in the right direction.

First, a discrepancy between the Pool Math app and the Water Balance for SWG article for pH. Pool math app says ideal range is 7.6-7.8, with acceptable being 7.2 to 8.0. The article says ideal is 7.2-7.5 with acceptable being 7.2-7.8. Which one should I trust/aim for?

Second, wondering about how long we need to wait to swim, if at all, when adding the following:
  • Baking soda
  • Borax
  • Muriatic acid
  • Boric acid
Finally, when is it recommended to test levels again after making adjustments for the following:
  • Salt
  • FC
  • TA: I noted it's best to make small adjustments for bigger changes and test pH in between, but do I also test the TA after each adjustment? And after how much time has passed do I test?
    • Raising with baking soda
    • Lowering with Muriatic acid
  • pH
    • Raising with Borax
Thank you!

First, a discrepancy between the Pool Math app and the Water Balance for SWG article for pH. Pool math app says ideal range is 7.6-7.8, with acceptable being 7.2 to 8.0. The article says ideal is 7.2-7.5 with acceptable being 7.2-7.8. Which one should I trust/aim for?
Anything that starts with a 7 is fine. My pool just happens to sit at 7.4 all year long. Don't futz with pH, just keep it in the 7s.

All these answers assume that pump is running.
Second, wondering about how long we need to wait to swim, if at all, when adding the following:
  • Baking soda
  • Borax
  • Muriatic acid
  • Boric acid
5-10 minutes, brush the muriatic around when you pour it in.
Finally, when is it recommended to test levels again after making adjustments for the following:
  • Salt
24 hours.
30 minutes
  • TA: I noted it's best to make small adjustments for bigger changes and test pH in between, but do I also test the TA after each adjustment? And after how much time has passed do I test?
    • Raising with baking soda
6-12 hours
An hour should be fine.
  • pH
    • Raising with Borax
Best to wait an 2-4 on the Borax and an hour with Muriatic. Don't want to overshoot.

You didn't ask about CYA. Wait at least 24 hours after it is dissolved. I personally wait 48 to do any more additions.

Thank you so much!

You didn't ask about CYA. Wait at least 24 hours after it is dissolved. I personally wait 48 to do any more additions.
I was working with the below, which I read someplace on TFP but am having a hard time finding again. 😅

CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.