New Pool Owner - Constantly High PH

What brand of salt? It’s 100% sodium chloride?
Hi mate,

It's an Australian brand, the SDS says:
Chemical Profile
Purity of Sodium Chloride...................Min. 99.5%
Moisture..................................................Max. 0.2%
Insoluble Matter...................................Max. 0.3%

Okay, I did my tests this morning and have turned my SWG on. The salt reading was 4200PPM and I have set the chlorine output on cell to 85%. Would that mean it would produce approx 3600ppm chlorine at 85%?

Also, how does SWG run time affect chlorine output say if the cell is run for 8 hours?

Okay, I did my tests this morning and have turned my SWG on. The salt reading was 4200PPM and I have set the chlorine output on cell to 85%. Would that mean it would produce approx 3600ppm chlorine at 85%?

Also, how does SWG run time affect chlorine output say if the cell is run for 8 hours?
No, 85% is the duty cycle. It produces chlorine 85% of the time that it’s turned on. So at 85% running for one hour, it’ll produce chlorine for 51 minutes.

So the longer you run the pump and the longer it’s producing chlorine, the more chlorine you get. I’d suggest starting out at 50% and adjust your run time as needed to maintain the amount of FC you need for your pool based on the FC/CYA chart. Then adjust the cell % as needed.

No, 85% is the duty cycle. It produces chlorine 85% of the time that it’s turned on. So at 85% running for one hour, it’ll produce chlorine for 51 minutes.

So the longer you run the pump and the longer it’s producing chlorine, the more chlorine you get. I’d suggest starting out at 50% and adjust your run time as needed to maintain the amount of FC you need for your pool based on the FC/CYA chart. Then adjust the cell % as needed.
Thanks mate,
I will let it run at that % just to boost at startup and then I will adjust the percentage tomorrow to 50-60%

Thanks mate,
I will let it run at that % just to boost at startup and then I will adjust the percentage tomorrow to 50-60%
Just remember the SWCG is there for maintaining the FC at a given level up or down a few ppm. Boost will not bring the pool out of danger and that's where you'll need some liquid chlorine on hand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just remember the SWCG is there for maintaining the FC at a given level up or down a few ppm. Boost will not bring the pool out of danger and that's where you'll need some liquid chlorine on hand.
Thank you, I will make sure I monitor is for next couple of days. I have started noticing that since yesterday, after adding salt my skimmer sock was dark yellowish to light green in colour when dirty and clear off with water. Is that dirt/dust or something I should be worried about:oops:

See attached picture

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_165441.jpg
    IMG_20211024_165441.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 7
Alright, I have done tests this morning and FC this evening as well. Here are the results:

FC = 5.0
CC = 0.0
PH = 7.6
TA = 80
CH = 305
CYA = 70
Salt = 4200PPM

I added chlorine yesterday evening but look at above results, I am assuming that SWG is generating enough chlorine?

I set it to 75% this morning, pump run time is 11 hours with 2 more hours left, FC test done at 8.5 hours into run time approx.

So can I safely stop adding chlorine from today onwards?

How are the above results looking so far, I will raise CH slowly and will adjust SWG tomorrow to reduce chlorine output a little bit.

numbers look good
i like fc a little higher, i wouldn't be reducing swg
i aim for 6ppm fc minimum with 70cya
you need to test just before swg turns on to see your minimum fc level
Thanks mate, I won't put in liquid chlorine today and will test tomorrow morning before SWG turns on to see what levels are. So, I can stop chlorine today right?

Also, as per FC/CYA chart at 70 CYA, minimum should be 3 and target should be 5. So still aim for 6PPM which is more than target is it?

If you make a signature with your pool and equipment details it will help us give better answers to your questions. What make/model swcg do you have? What is your pool volume?

Check out the PoolMath app, it makes pool maintenance a bit easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.