New Pool Owner - Chemistry & Procedure Questions

A new question comes to mind. I think I remember reading somewhere not to put a solar cover on during the SLAM. I'm now working to let the FC drift down to the ideal levels. I have two questions.

1. When can I put the solar cover on?

2. Does a solar cover burn through FC faster, slower, or the same as without a cover on?

Sent from my phone-a-majig.

Nice work! Solar cover will slow fc consumption because it will cut down on sun hitting the pool. Shouldn't make much difference at night. But, if your goal is to warm up the pool it is probably best to have the cover on at night and off during the day.

You can put it on now. During a SLAM you can build CC, so its best to avoid that scenario. It will now save a little FC, but it won't warm much during the day. they do more keeping warmth in a night than they do anything.

Wow, complete opposite of what I thought it did.

I put it on last night, per pooldv's suggestion, forgot to remove it before I left for work today. :hammer:

My reason for putting it on was two fold, first was to heat the water a bit and/or retain heat, since we have a fairly cold week this week. Second was to let the higher FC possibly kill anything that might be lingering on the cover after the previous owners had it stored in the garage for the past 2+ years.

You're done slamming right? No worries about the CC. It's just if you are creating a good deal of CC during a SLAM, you want the Sun to burn them off, but the cover inhibits that. You are past that now. They add a little temp to the pool during the day, more or less depending on the transparency. They really help retain heat at night though, and it's especially noticeable if you are heating the pool. The save on evap too when it's windy, so this helps temp as well. You did the right thing putting it on.

Yes, SLAM is done, but still drifting down to the ideal level to maintain. FC dropped from 20 ppm to 15 ppm yesterday. At 15 ppm when I put the cover on around 9PM. (While avoiding the skunk that was roaming around the perimeter of my deck.)

When you say "more or less depending on the transparency" which adds more heat?

Yes, SLAM is done, but still drifting down to the ideal level to maintain. FC dropped from 20 ppm to 15 ppm yesterday. At 15 ppm when I put the cover on around 9PM. (While avoiding the skunk that was roaming around the perimeter of my deck.)

When you say "more or less depending on the transparency" which adds more heat?

Clear adds the most.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
skunk????? No fun! We have one that lives in the wetlands behind our house. We can spell him quite often. Thank goodness we have our 6.5 acres fenced to keep things in and OUT! LOL Of course I keep the stuff ready for just in case my pets get sprayed!

Kim

Quick Update, after a long silence.

First - Picture from Saturday, as the FC drifted below 10, on its way to 6. (I love how you can see the shape of the deep end from the 2nd story window cell phone picture!)

(The wind unrolled the solar cover a bit, and it dipped back into the water, I wasn't keeping it like that on purpose.)

I took a plunge on Saturday into the balmy 68 degree water to retrieve the quarter, which I confirmed was actually tails, and not my terrible eyes playing tricks on me.

On Sunday, I got back in at 70 degrees, and my wife and son joined me for a bit, near the end. (Wife didn't want to go past her knees, with the temperature where it was, but my 2yo son loved every jaw chattering minute of it!) Rain in the forecast for most of this week, but hopefully the water warms up more by the weekend, and we can enjoy it a bit more.

Definitely considering installing some solar heaters (tubes or mats) either later this summer or early next spring when I open back up. I just need to do my homework and price-shop the various solutions out there first.

Not to be a total creeper and weirdo but i saw your thread and wanted to read your SLAM results and I saw you live in NE Ohio and I swear I have seen your pool/deck before. Such a small world.

Just came here to read your SLAM process and next year hopefully pick up a tf-100 and maintain my pool more effectively than 3" tablets and 7,000 bags of shock. Good work.

Just saw on your profile you are in Macedonia, I am in Sagamore... I also have a 2yo. Haha! Would like to hear your thoughts on a solar heater and if you think we even get enough sun to work effectively. I have been thinking heavily about getting a heater, possibly gas...Also, I will know next year when j go to buy bleach or borax next year and why it's already gone... Lol.

Not to be a total creeper and weirdo

As long as you don't start posting google earth shots of my house or showing up at my door, I think we're ok.

Either it's just a common pool/deck arrangement, or possibly you knew the previous owners? (Though our neighbors say they didn't open the pool the last few summers, at least.)

With any luck I won't need any/much borax next year, so you should be good.
As far as bleach, the best price I found around this area is at Great Escape over by Giant Eagle and Lowes. I don't think there's a risk of them running out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.