New pool need help with pump settings

billy20o9

Dec 10, 2022
Pasadena, TX
So just recently got a pool(16,780) and the builder used Pentair everything including the intelliflo O3 vsf. Right now it’s set to run from 8:00A-6:00P at 85% speed which is about 110GPM. I keep hearing people saying it possible to run it around the clock and avoid the intermittent starts daily in general but how do I know what speed to keep it at and why?

New to this so take it easy on me lol

Attachments

• F5417053-FAF8-4310-9FA1-B93753CC0AB2.jpeg
    F5417053-FAF8-4310-9FA1-B93753CC0AB2.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 9284B2B7-6AFD-47CD-95AB-14EDBC70065B.jpeg
    9284B2B7-6AFD-47CD-95AB-14EDBC70065B.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to TFP.

Tell us what equipment you have since it effects the flow rates you may need. Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

I run my IntelliFlo VSF pump 24/7 at 1800 RPM which is sufficient for my SWG and heater.

Hey Billy,

Welcome. I have had these pumps for years, its not like a car engine where stops and starts cause extra wear, I stop and start my pool several times a day for years and its no issue for the pump so I wouldnt base my scheduling decision on concerns over stopping and starting. The reason most people decide to run low and long with these pumps is because the efficiency isnt linear, they run much more efficiently at low rpms than high. So running 8 hours at 1000 rpm might be 25% or more efficient than 4 hours at 2000 rpm. Some of this also depends upon your plumbing and how much water it can flow efficiently too. With that said, regardless of how efficient it is at low speeds, sometimes it makes sense to run it high in order to get circulation in the pool, particularly at the surface to move debris into the skimmer. I run at 1200 rpm most of the day but jump it up to 2000 for a 1/2 hr in the morning and at night also. The pump, through the pentair home app, gives you all the info you need to figure out the best balance of time/speed to get the best efficiency. Play with different speeds and look at the wattage it is consuming at that speed and how much gpm you are getting at the speed to move enough water to keep the pool clean. A rule of thumb is to turn over the whole pool once per day but thats not realky backed by anything scientific. Some people can have sparkling water with half that and some need more, it depends upon your unique situation, how good your filter is, how often its cleaned, how much you use it, how much dirt/dust it gets from your environment. Other factors are at play too , such as if you have salt water chlorination or not and how efficient that system is. Without knowing other factors such as plumbing size, #of returns, plumbing layout etc, I would suggest checking the wattage at 1000 rpm on up in 500 rpm increments and report what your gpm and wattage is, from that information I could help make recommendations. Others will likely have other good ideas as well.

Mav

Billy,

Nice looking pool.. :goodjob:

Show us a pic of your equipment pad that will give us some better ideas.

I am one of those members that runs 24/7/365. I do this for several reasons...

It works best for me.
I have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) that only makes chlorine when the pump is running. I like to make a little chlorine all the time.
I like to skim all the time. Running the pump keeps the water moving past my skimmers so I rarely have anything floating on the surface of my pool.
I like quiet. I run mostly at 1200 RPM and at that speed you almost have to touch the pump to make sure it is running. :mrgreen:
The cost for me to run 24/7 is way less than $20 bucks a month and I have an old pump. New ones are a lot more energy efficient.

This is what works for me. You will need to determine what works for you.

I can run at 1200 RPM because I do not have a heater. If you have a heater you will need to run at 1600 or more. It just depends on your plumbing.

There is no requirement to run 24/7. Some people only run their pump for a few hours a day.

Don't get caught up in the idea that you have to "Turnover" x amount of water per day to prevent algae. It is just not true. You either have algae or you don't. Pool filter are not there to prevent you from getting algae, they are they to capture all the junk that falls into your pool.

I see this is your first post. You should take a good read through our Pool School and you will find that we are very different than most pool web sites. Our goal is to teach you how to use science to take care of your pool, instead of going to the Pool $tore and buying "magic" in a bag. :(

We'd be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.