New pool name: Whitewalkers Swamp - HELP!

Christine Fury

Jun 15, 2021
Galloway ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I posted and became a follower of TFP last year. I bought my kit and my 24’ round AG pool finally was filled. Put the cover on in the fall and thought I had a handle on all of this…joke is on me! When we pulled the cover off we neglected to pump the water off first and all of the debris ended up in the pool. I started the SLAM process with all of the debris in it and have spent the last several weeks vacuuming and skimming off the slimy white leaves and debris hence the reference to Whitewalkers (Game of Thrones reference:) that float to the top. I think all of the debris is gone but now it’s just a green, soupy mess and I’m losing hope of using the pool yet again this year. What am I doing wrong?4D463C89-D255-4677-9496-F9E85078D31F.jpeg722037ED-0E68-4095-9451-A2DB6B80AE45.jpeg

Post a full set of test results from your test kit and then tell us what you’ve been holding your chlorine at and how often you test and add chlorine.

What test kit are you using? Make sure you have an approved test kit -TF 100 or Taylor K2006 or you won’t be able to get the accurate tests you need.
Your cya is too high for a chlorine pool. I would drain half of the water and get the cya down to 30, it will be easier to battle the algae.
Maintain a free chlorine level of 24 while your cya is 60. Check fc and add chlorine as much as you can throughout the day. The pool math app will help you know how much chlorine to add.
When you get your cya down to 30, maintain a fc of 12 until the water is clear.
Then do the Overnignt Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT). You need to pass all three criteria -clear water, less than 1 ppm chlorine loss overnight and less than .5 cc.
You have to hit it hard and keep hitting it hard. SLAM means shock level and MAINTAIN! Very key to the process.

Reactions: Newdude
+1. If you are going to drain half the pool, you might as well go 3/4 to.leave enough water to hold the liner in place, but only have 1/4 the battle once it's filling.

Welcome back. :wave:

Reactions: JodieM
Jodie and Newdude,
I so appreciate the welcome back and the words of wisdom. I bought the TF100 last year and have been using it to help with the SLAM process. I've been testing FC at least three times a day since I am now home for the summer. I WILL BEAT THIS! It's almost an obsession now:)

Reactions: JodieM and Newdude
in one year to get a cya of 60 indicates you may have made an error
either in your choice of chlorine or in the required cya level

Reactions: Newdude
I’m back again and was feeling like my pool was responding well, and it still may be, but I’m needing some guidance. I could just barely see the bottom of the pool this afternoon and got super excited. I started brushing the walls and bottom as always and now it’s cloudy again. I’ve kept FC high but went on vacation for four days and instructed BF to put in a gallon of LC to make sure FC stayed high. How should I proceed looking at today’s most recent numbers?
FC 21
CC <.5
CYA 30
Ph < 6.8
TA 90 blue to yellow
CH 150E271C004-2D7A-4F0B-9FB6-749C659302FD.jpeg2CA8EEB0-9861-4B23-8DFF-E4BE37DF5546.jpeg

something is not right here
how did cya go from 60 to 30
ph read false high during a slam due to the high fc levels
that is why ph is adjusted prior to the slam and then is not adjusted until fc comes back under 10
no more acid, if anything .needs some ph up (washing soda)
please enter your test results into your poolmath app, there is a 10 day gap

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the pool sat without being brushed the algae that was dead and dying just sunk to the bottom and by brushing you stirred it up. Keep filtering 24/7 and keep your chlorine up to SLAM level. As noted above, no need to mess with testing PH. Really just make sure you have a good CYA reading and keep adding liquid chlorine according to cya/chlorine ratio charts SLAM requirement. Brushing is knocking down the biofilm outer layer of the algae allowing the chlorine to kill it.

Reactions: jeffchap
Stay the course. It's come a long way, you just need a little more POP - pool owner patience.

What type of filter do you have? Sand filters will take a little longer to clear it up than cartridges will. And be sure to keep it running 24x7 and backwash/clean any time the pressure rises 25% over the pressure when clean.

JodieM and JeffChap,
You don’t know how much I appreciate your feedback and encouragement! It’s really trying on the patience for sure. It’s a lovely cloudy, light blue color but I so desire that crystal clear water that I see others posting. I’ve been backwashing once a day but we haven’t had rain for weeks and I have a well. The water level is already to the bottom of the skimmer basket. I’ve been putting the hose in the pool for 30-45 minutes the past couple of days but it’s going to take a bit more water to raise the level. I need to backwash again but I’m reluctant. The water looked slightly greenish blue so I added more LC. CYA is 30 and FC is 18. I thank you for your wisdom and patience!!

JodieM and JeffChap,
You don’t know how much I appreciate your feedback and encouragement! It’s really trying on the patience for sure. It’s a lovely cloudy, light blue color but I so desire that crystal clear water that I see others posting. I’ve been backwashing once a day but we haven’t had rain for weeks and I have a well. The water level is already to the bottom of the skimmer basket. I’ve been putting the hose in the pool for 30-45 minutes the past couple of days but it’s going to take a bit more water to raise the level. I need to backwash again but I’m reluctant. The water looked slightly greenish blue so I added more LC. CYA is 30 and FC is 18. I thank you for your wisdom and patience!!

Attachments

• A8EFE56A-8D86-442F-A86C-EC0C718D10F7.jpeg
    A8EFE56A-8D86-442F-A86C-EC0C718D10F7.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: JodieM
You only need to backwash when your filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. Sand filters actually work a little bit better when they are slightly dirty. That's why some people add DE to their sand filter.

Diatomaceous earth. There is food grade and pool grade. You want the pool grade (duh!). You can find it at any pool store. Just don't let them sell you anything else.

You mix up a cup or so with some water and pour it down your skimmer.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.