New pool “manager” in Louisiana

Unfortunately we don't trust pool store test results. But for now, stop using any chlorine products with CYA (granular trichlor, granular dichlor, or pucks are currently prohibited until further testing demonstrates an OK CYA level. If you add more CYA you will be forced to drain MORE water if that is accurate. Get your test kit and test your water and we can go from there. From now on, the only thing permitted to add is liquid chlorine or bleach.

Reactions: Jesusfreak
A lot of our sigs have a link to the TfTestKits.net site, but if you're on a phone just click the link I just posted and it'll take you to the right place.

Unfortunately with the amount of metals you have present you're going to have to stay in top of the sequestrant additions until you can replace a lot of your water with metals free water.

Do you know if your fill water has metals in it?
Where do you get your fill water? (Private Well, Public Utility, Community Well, etc.)

Unfortunately, our public utility water has metals in it. Not sure where else I could get water from. I’ve been told the rainwater is acidic.

The kit only? Just want to be sure before I order.

I am going to more than guess that if you go back through all the various products that have been dumped in the water, some of them have had copper in them (algaecides, shocks with "algae killing crystals" or "Xtra blue" type products).

You only need the kit but can optionally order the SpeedStir. I would cry if my SpeedStir broke so it's optional but I love it and highly recommend it.

The XL option will give you extra reagents so you don't run out as fast. Also a worthwhile option but not essential. Only the kit itself is essential.

I'd say the TF-100 kit only, but as Justin said I love my SpeedStir. In fact I have three of them. One of them is a different type, but the SpeedStir rocks!

I'd seriously consider harvesting rain water. It's easy to deal with acidic water, it's a whole nuther story dealing with metals from now on.

If you have gutters around your house you can get one of those 275 gallon liquid shipping totes and collect the water from the roof, treat it if it needs it, and then use a submersible pump to pump it into the pool.

I'd say the TF-100 kit only, but as Justin said I love my SpeedStir. In fact I have three of them. One of them is a different type, but the SpeedStir rocks!

I'd seriously consider harvesting rain water. It's easy to deal with acidic water, it's a whole nuther story dealing with metals from now on.

If you have gutters around your house you can get one of those 275 gallon liquid shipping totes and collect the water from the roof, treat it if it needs it, and then use a submersible pump to pump it into the pool.
The 4” we got yesterday certainly improved things. The pool is less stained on the steps and liner. I ordered the TF-100 today. One of my health club buddies, I found out today, is one of this forums “disciples”! Glad we got on the subject of pools today. Yes, he has the TF-100. His pool is salt, but he is willing to help me, along with you guys with the learning curve.

pH today is 7.6
Cl is low.

I read to add chlorine after the sun goes down, is this correct? Should I wait till this rain event is over and then add calcium hypochlorite?

Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of my health club buddies, I found out today, is one of this forums “disciples”! Glad we got on the subject of pools today. Yes, he has the TF-100. His pool is salt, but he is willing to help me, along with you guys with the learning curve.

Boy I bet that was a surprise to hear! We have a couple hundred thousand "disciples" so its bound to happen, but its neat to hear of it!

Maddie :flower:

No need to run the aerators. The last pH you had (which was a pool store test) showed in the 7's.

Not sure about the notifications -- @Leebo, can you help here?

Unfortunately we don't trust pool store test results. But for now, stop using any chlorine products with CYA (granular trichlor, granular dichlor, or pucks are currently prohibited until further testing demonstrates an OK CYA level. If you add more CYA you will be forced to drain MORE water if that is accurate. Get your test kit and test your water and we can go from there. From now on, the only thing permitted to add is liquid chlorine or bleach.
Kit arrived this evening. See post above.

Maybe you said this in a step by step process, but I’m a little overwhelmed with too much information at one time.

I’m a little slow.

Pool is crystal clear. Are you saying once I start adding chemicals it won’t and then will?

What do I do first? What is SLAMing?

Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.