New pool liner , stairs damaged during ...

Gary Rees

Nov 9, 2020
Ontario
The liner installer found a seized screw at the bottom of the stairs (the clamp that holds the gasket and liner to the stairs) . I watched as he ground the head off of the screw allowing the gasket clamp to be removed.
Then vice grips were attached to the screw stub in an attempt to remove it ( I would have used a soldering gun to apply heat and/or a liquid wrench type product to free the screw) . The installer chose the "Armstrong method"
and we ended up deforming the internal metal strip inside the fiberglass stairs creating a bulge . Needless to say the gasket and clamp installation failed and 1 1/4 " inches a day of water disappeared .
Days later he returned and caulked the 3/8" bulge (underwater repair). This stopped or substantially reduced the leaking.
I do not believe the "repair" is appropriate or lasting. I don't see how the stairs can be repaired so they need replaced. I have been told that the liner should be replaced at the same time?

Any comments will be appreciated. See photo. The damage is hidden by the clip on plastic trimleakystairs.jpg

Are you asking if the installer should replace the steps and liner?

Who is telling you the liner should be replaced at the same time?

What warranty's has the installer give you about your installation?

AJW I am asking for opinions . I have been told that the liner should be replaced and I have been told that it is very difficult to reuse the liner . The stair manufacturer is defunct , new stairs may not match up .
The installer has offered no warranty with respect to the installation. The warranty like many would be worthless as the contractor claims they did the work perfectly. Do you see a way to repair the stairs?

underwater caulking will fail, when is the question... and you will not know when until you start losing an inch of water again...

The stair manufacturer is defunct , new stairs may not match up .

That is new information.

The installer has offered no warranty with respect to the installation. The warranty like many would be worthless as the contractor claims they did the work perfectly.

I think all work on existing old structures is done on a best efforts basis unless some specific terms are said otherwise. A technician never knows what will be in something existing until he digs into it. You choose to hire him and he tried his best to deal with what he found and make it work.

Do you see a way to repair the stairs?

I don't know since I can't see anything or put my hands on it and see the situation. Maybe @jimmythegreek has seen this before.

AJW I am asking for opinions .

My opinion is you need to discuss it with the installer and see if he will work with you on some fix. I would be happy if the installer agreed to install a new liner at cost and you buy new stairs and pay for the installation of the new stairs.

Chances are high that the existing liner would not work with new stairs from a different manufacturer. But you never know if you get lucky and you should look into your stair options before you commit to a new liner.

You can see how long the caulk fix lasts. Maybe you will get lucky there and get a few years and maybe a reapplication of caulk or two.

Hey AJ thank you for your reply. I had an established pool store to do the work, the installer is an employee or dependent subcontractor to the pool store. As an employee he is not liable for errors or omissions it
is totally on his employer. There is no such concept in this jurisdiction as best efforts. I will not get into what we want and what they want we are close to having a settlement conference.

Thank you James for your reply. I saw the whole event unfold. My x -ray vision was disabled so I could not see through the gel coat . The bulge was not caused by the remains of the screw. Metal strip or not the fiberglass was damaged. 3/8" bulge . Gasket did not work. I will check with the manufacturer(s) and let you know.

There is no metal in the stairs. Only where it meets up with the metal wall and bolts together. I cant make out anything from the pic posted. Stairs can be repaired for way less than replacing. The liner should be ok to reuse. Worst case access hole is drilled from front side and repaired from front amd back them a fiberglass repair amd a paint job. Can even have them ecofinished a different color so they aren't white anymore pool will look richer with colored stairs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.