New pool liner black water

NormaJJ

Apr 28, 2020
Washington State
We just refilled our pool after getting a brand new vinyl liner. Everything was good, ph 7.5 and alk was 100. While filling the pool I added 32 oz bottle of Jacks Magic Stufffor vinyl liners metal stain preventer and we used a filter on the hose. We did those extra steps because we fill from well water though we've never had problems. I tested again several hours later and ph was 7.8 so I added a small amount of ph reducer which brought it back to 7.5. Also, pollen had fallen in the water created a slight green color in the deep end. We are filtering and running Polaris, back washed three times trying to get the algae from the pollen out. Test again...ph 7.2 and alk now 90. No chlorine yet because the tabs take time so I added less than a lb of chlorine granules and my pool water immediately turned deep black! Help!! We just paid $6,000 for this liner...will it be ruined? I'll go to pool store tomorrow but those guys are hit or miss. Can anyone here help? I don't think there would be metals in the water as we took precautions, have no heater hooked up but that Jacks blue stuff....could that have done something. Omg. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

I think you have manganese in your fill water.

Can you clarify exactly what Jacks you added in what amount?

What test kit do you have? Post a complete set of test results.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment so we can give you more specific advice.

@JoyfulNoise more HEDP sequestrant, lower pH, and filter the fix?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Do you know what brand the chlorine granules and tabs were and what ingredients are on the label? Is the liner blue? It could be metals in the water, even with precautions. Take a sample of your well water to be tested for metals. That will give us a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Welcome to TFP.

I think you have manganese in your fill water.

Can you clarify exactly what Jacks you added in what amount?

What test kit do you have? Post a complete set of test results.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment so we can give you more specific advice.

@JoyfulNoise more HEDP sequestrant, lower pH, and filter the fix?
OK. I created a signature. I'm not familiar with this site yet so hope it worked. I used "Jack's Magic the Vinyl Liner blue stuff" 32 oz. It is called a vinyl liner pool stain and scale control/preventative and it was recommended I use it as I was filling the pool just because I have well water. I'm supposed to use 32 oz for 10k and I have 26kgal so I used less than needed for an initial dose but the right amount for preventative. It doesn't list ingredients other than it contains Phosphonic Acid.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Do you know what brand the chlorine granules and tabs were and what ingredients are on the label? Is the liner blue? It could be metals in the water, even with precautions. Take a sample of your well water to be tested for metals. That will give us a better idea of what you are dealing with.
Yes it was bioguard super soluble granular stabilized chlorinator about 3/4 of a lb. Ingr Sodium dichlorvos-s-triazinetrione dehydrate. and In the Swim 3-inch stabilized chlorine tablets (Trichloro-s-triazinetrione 99%). I plan to take it in for testing as soon as they open. thanks

I will try a little later. Its 6:30 a.m. here and each angle I take a shot from just shows large reflection of trees. I have to wait for the sun to move.
[/QUOTE
oh and yes, the new liner is a dark blue.

Take pool store testing with a VERY jaundiced eye. Most are quite incapable of providing meaningful tests. You would ONLY beinterested in the iron, copper manganese test so please disregard what else they tell you.

If you are to manage your own pool, you need to do your own testing with one of the two test kits we suggest....the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am pretty sure you have iron in your well water that has precipitated when you added the big dose of chlorine. It's pretty common and has happened to me more than once.

The good news? It'll go away in a few days.....depending on how much was in their. Run the filter 24/7 and don't add anything. The pH will go back on it's own (it already has) and the iron will return to it's soluble state (invisible)

The bad news? You have iron in your well water and still in your pool. Sequestrant doesn't remove it and lowering your pH doesn't remove it......you just can't see it anymore.

As long as you fill from that well, you will always have iron in your water. The solution? Get a whole house water softener and begin to use the softened (ironless) as your refill source. Eventually, you will have iron free water. Even better is to drain your pool and refill with an iron free source but that's not always practical.

You cannot filter the iron out mechanically with a culator or a filter on the end of your hose. There is simple not NEARLY enough capacity to have much affect.

I am pretty sure you have iron in your well water that has precipitated when you added the big dose of chlorine. It's pretty common and has happened to me more than once.

The good news? It'll go away in a few days.....depending on how much was in their. Run the filter 24/7 and don't add anything. The pH will go back on it's own (it already has) and the iron will return to it's soluble state (invisible)

The bad news? You have iron in your well water and still in your pool. Sequestrant doesn't remove it and lowering your pH doesn't remove it......you just can't see it anymore.

As long as you fill from that well, you will always have iron in your water. The solution? Get a whole house water softener and begin to use the softened (ironless) as your refill source. Eventually, you will have iron free water. Even better is to drain your pool and refill with an iron free source but that's not always practical.

You cannot filter the iron out mechanically with a culator or a filter on the end of your hose. There is simple not NEARLY enough capacity to have much affect.
we have a whole house water softener already. You are right, the ph and all are normal this morning. We have refilled before from this same well before we had the softener but have never had this issue before. I will be going in and ask them to check for iron though. thank you very much.

we have a whole house water softener already. You are right, the ph and all are normal this morning. We have refilled before from this same well before we had the softener but have never had this issue before. I will be going in and ask them to check for iron though. thank you very much.
I do still see a lot of the pollen algae on the floor of the pool. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

The test for iron from the pool store may not show any. That's because it has precipitated into a visible form which is not measured by the test. My first 7 years, I had no issues from filling from a well. On year 8, my pool turned very dark green within an hour of adding a sudden, large dose of chlorine.

Get your refill water from that softener and, eventually, you will not have enough well water in your pool to have this happen again.

I don't know what pollen algae is (do you mean just algae?) but it is unrelated to your problem, That said, if it is algae, that is a problem you will have to treat seperately

The test for iron from the pool store may not show any. That's because it has precipitated into a visible form which is not measured by the test. My first 7 years, I had no issues from filling from a well. On year 8, my pool turned very dark green within an hour of adding a sudden, large dose of chlorine.

Get your refill water from that softener and, eventually, you will not have enough well water in your pool to have this happen again.

I don't know what pollen algae is (do you mean just algae?) but it is unrelated to your problem, That said, if it is algae, that is a problem you will have to treat seperately
Thanks again. We did fill the pool with water from the softener. The pool place test did show no metals....just a 0.01 Iron. What I know is in the pool is POLLEN, not algae, that was my mistake. We had a very heavy pollen drop here...it's everywhere and that's what's in the pool. Whew. So they said to not add anything else, run the filter 24/7 and vacuum out the pollen that lands on the floor to waste and eventually it will clear. Does that sound right to you? I'm not very experienced and days like these really wonder if a pool is worth it. Thanks for your help.

Pollen will vacuum out. Our pool care method is to simply test your pool and know what you are putting in it and what it does. Right now with fresh water you know what you have put in it so far. If you continue to use powdered chlorine or chlorine tabs eventually your CYA levels will be too high and you will start to have algae problems. Did you add any stabilizer/cyanuric acid to the water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.