New Pool in Pennsylvania

Unfortunately, it can be done very accurately. PB's just don't make the effort generally in the quoting stage. It'll all fall out later, they would say. Ugh.

Yeah, you're right there. In our case the sales/design guy probably isn't the one would be making an accurate call. :(

the money in a retaining wall is in the first course. if the wall is only going to be higher and not "larger" meaning more base course its pretty much the cost of the block units and any pins if its a pin system and some backfill/gravel. Anyone can add height to the wall its super easy. If they are gonna fleece you have them build the wall to the 2 foot height and leave it uncapped. get the name of the wall they use and measure how many more units u need and have a local yard deliver it and the pins needed. they are heavy blocks but you can stack and pin them easily yourself or a day laborer can do it. then pay the sub a little extra and have him backfill it or have the dirt piled behind the wall and do it yourself or get a guy w bobcat for the day to do it.

guys that do retaining walls and know what they r doing price them in sections. its digging/backfill time and material, its length of base course and number of blocks there, THEN its sqft of wall. a 2ft high wall 100' long is way more work than a 4'high wall 50' long even tho its the same # of block. takes a long time to dig and level the base material then the base block, after that its stack and go super easy, once u go up in height you get into needing geogrid to stabilize the wall but gravel and drainage is needed behind EVERY wall no matter how high

Retaining walls are a gray area and shouldn’t be. We had three pool companies tell us they weren’t likely needed. We aren’t far above sea level and newer homes in this area are built on fill to raise the houses above base flood elevation. In other words, the homes are on a slight elevation. Deeper footers was our PB’s answer and complied with code.

We had the landscaper put a retaining side on the two steep sides of the pool and while they were at it, we decided to level our side yard where the pool equipment is located and that needed a retaining wall also. We weren’t arguing with anyone, but doing what needed to be done in our opinion.

One of our neighbors have a older pool and the decking is pulling away from the pool now, they have no retaining wall on a slope. That was the reason we decided to have a retaining wall put in on the two sides of our pool. Sandy soil and torrential downpours every summer during rainy season, what could go wrong? The last of our four pool inspectors from the county told me we would be glad we put it in. We are in that gray area where it passes code for final grade as long as an acceptable slope was sodded.

Retaining walls aren’t sexy features to pay for and pool builders gloss over them so they don’t lose prospective customers from sticker shock.

As others have said, adding 1.5 ft to a retaining wall should not double the cost. Most of the cost is leveling the base... then just mats and time from there.

We were worse than bait and switched. Went from not needing a wall at all to hearing 'you know, we probably should have a retaining wall' the day in april when we staked the pool in the backyard. +11K before a shovel hit dirt.

Sorry to hear about your problems neighbor. We finally have our occupancy permits signed by the township. Builder and landscaper still have a list of item to complete... and they wonder why i wont give them final payments.

Depending how steep the hill is, you could keep the slope and use boulders, plants, mulch to retain. My project would have required a 10ft retaining wall my hill was so large. Did a gradual slope instead

a501df2a70c3cca6fa7a403a0f0a7e94.jpg

700 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// Jandy ePump 2.7 HP //// Jandy aquapure 1400 SWG /// Wet Edge pearl matrix jet black //// waterfall with single speed pump //// JXI 400 propane heat /// aqualink RS automation

I don't understand why they didn't have the sub come out to shoot the elevations so it was accurate. Having a sales guy just eyeball it is asking for trouble. I was afraid of one company I dealt with early cause everything was ya this much material about but ya language in it to make u responsible then. They would say the sub will get accurate numbers when they come but u will be more than safe. Even my elevations of the pool were off from day 1 cause he eyeballed it and it was 1 foot too low which is needing a retain I g wall and not in my project. If I went with them the pool would have been too low or they would have raised it and then said oh ya u need a retaining wall now. When I went with my builder him and my buddy who is an excavator shot the lot together found the pool to be too low and then the 3 of us added the retaining walls and lower section so we knew to the dollar the cost. Except for when I picked out a retaining wall that was 30 percent more than typical. Lol but that's on me. . . Or my buddy who was like that 1 is nice. Lol. I knew we were in trouble when I ordered it and said oh we never ordered that one. And then it came in and the guy who delivered it was like ya everyone was checking out the material cause they only ever saw it in pictures. Lol then he handed me the bill. Lol

ur ya should have been an easy thing to get accurate.

Depending how steep the hill is, you could keep the slope and use boulders, plants, mulch to retain. My project would have required a 10ft retaining wall my hill was so large. Did a gradual slope instead

a501df2a70c3cca6fa7a403a0f0a7e94.jpg

700 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// Jandy ePump 2.7 HP //// Jandy aquapure 1400 SWG /// Wet Edge pearl matrix jet black //// waterfall with single speed pump //// JXI 400 propane heat /// aqualink RS automation

That looks amazing! Depending on our ‘final’ wall needs and cost we may switch to boulders as well, especially to match our waterfall. Was the cost reasonable to do the boulders vs large wall?

After not showing up for the decking, they offered to do the final grade for free. It’s not the $$ I wanted, but at least it saved my husband from doing the grade.
Quartz plaster is going in today! So close!!!

After not showing up for the decking, they offered to do the final grade for free. It’s not the $$ I wanted, but at least it saved my husband from doing the grade.
Quartz plaster is going in today! So close!!!

keep that pool open for a couple months cause of the PH. keep it open as late as possible even if u have to run the pump 24/7. my pool coach also had me add this for the winter to help a bit with scale control. it might not do a lot but he swears by it for the winter in our area.

https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/EasyCare22064BeautecScaleStainScumController/59506p1?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5s3cBRCAARIsAB8ZjU3ycj54m7uPiCoaWdiPQZmtfuSexyzhHYUtJUHtPsQ7h42ug7nHmhUaAj9LEALw_wcB

that was along with the other stuff they recommend here.

good luck!

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! Beautiful. I've never seen someone use the same fence as us. Wooded split rail with aluminum gates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.