New Pool in Pennsylvania

Happy excavation! Hope it's a smooth dig for you guys. I know we're on the board for scheduling with A&S and there a few houses ahead of us - yours is probably one of them. :)

Best of luck through the process!

We love pics!!

I know my builder said the gunite place he uses is so backed up still from all the rain at beginning of summer. I know his are shot now but they were waiting a bit a few weeks ago.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They showed up today to cover the plumbing with screenings and dirt. I hope we get a break in the rain for the tile and coping. At this rate, I will be #teacheratwork, not #teacherbythepool!

They showed up today to cover the plumbing with screenings and dirt. I hope we get a break in the rain for the tile and coping. At this rate, I will be #teacheratwork, not #teacherbythepool!

I'll assume your gunite/shell is in then?? If so, lucky!! Pics please! :)

I’m so frustrated right now!!! I haven’t posted in awhile because our pool build has been everything but smooth. I was hoping after meeting with the NE construction manager I would feel better, but I don’t.
Long story short... we feel we were sold a bait and switch with regards to our retaining wall. I will post pictures and details later today.
Basically, we were told we needed a 2 ft. retaining wall that really needed to be 3 1/2 ft. It was a 200% difference in size and cost. Our dream pool has turned into a nightmare summer. Has anyone else fell victim to a retaining wall bait and switch? I was wondering if this is typical for this company. Should we hire an attorney?

Sorry to hear of your aggravation - I can sure relate! When they initially did our site visit and "measured" for the wall it was really just our design/sales guy with a sight glass who eyeballed the grade. He put in the contract what he thought the wall would take but there really is no way for that to be accurate until they cut the rough grade and get the pool shell in. I fully expect that ours will increase now - especially after seeing the cut into the hill that was supposed to be an 18" wall, lol. Were you successful at all in negotiating? I'm planning to have that conversation very soon as well.

Alternatively, we may looking at doing boulders vs. the wall, not sure what the cost difference will be yet.

So sorry your project is having these stumbling blocks.

A friend had a pool built and the wall they quoted was for a certain S.F. of rock face. And the contract was either silent or said, something like it subject to change, in the details. Well it did change just like yours. It ended up needing to be twice as big to do the job.

They were quite displeased, but contractually, they were signing for a product (S.F. of surface area), not a product which had been verified (or guaranteed) to be what was needed in the end. The PB really just considered it to be like a flooring allowance when you build a new house. We'll put in a $5K, which is what you see and may disregard the overage potential, when in reality, it may end up being $10-15K or more. This is has the effect of simplifying the contract stage AND usually underestimating the final contract cost.

He put in the contract what he thought the wall would take but there really is no way for that to be accurate until they cut the rough grade and get the pool shell in.

Unfortunately, it can be done very accurately. PB's just don't make the effort generally in the quoting stage. It'll all fall out later, they would say. Ugh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.