New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, end pix soon!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stonework done, clean up tomorrow!

Not a huge update but the mosaics are in place and the stonework done. The cleanup crew will show up tomorrow and supposedly remove all the material and dirt, move some rocks around, and level out the ground around the pool in prep for the cement work (which will happen when we're back from vacation on the 18th). No word yet on when plumbing happens...

P9060700-1.jpg

The wee turtles went in (one's plastic is off so that's the actual color).

P9060702-1.jpg

The crabby ended up on the swimout. Ready to pinch unsuspecting sitters...

P9060703-1.jpg

The 'momma' turtle ended up in the pool. It's funny how facing one direction, the turtle looked almost dead and sort of floating at an odd angle, but facing the 'proper' way, it looks like it's swimming.

Interesting note, the cat could care less about the mosaics with the exception of the big turtle... he looks at that thing and gets down low and trys to bat at it. I wonder if the shadow illusion works on him because the others he didn't care whatsoever about them, but this one, he still bats at it.

The stonework turned out beautiful!!

I love the turtles! I was also going to do turtles, a small, medium and a large, all with shadow. Seeing yours makes me wish I had...however, it turned out better that I didn't since they had to replaster my pool and they would have been plastered over with the 2nd shoot.

Guy is hauling away stuff and wandering around with his bobcat. A bit of a stumble as the PB said he will not be removing any of the rocks... (contract says 'boulders' because we said we'd keep the big ones) but she's having him not remove any rock... so, we complained a bit, didn't really get anywhere, and are considering sending an info graphic from the USGS informing them of the actual size a 'boulder' is and that everything below that in size should go 'per contract'. We'll see how it goes... all the junk is gone, it's just the residual dirt and rock now that's being worked with. Either way, it's better than before.

Trying to squeeze in a pre cement inspection (for the copper wire I guess?) tomorrow before we leave for our trip but I doubt it'll happen.

Everyone knows a boulder is greater than 10.1" in diameter. What is he thinking! :mad: But are yours rounded and smoothed as the rest of the definition?
I actually like that approach since the first try didn't seem to get it done.

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Stone done, hiatus until 9/19-

Yesterday the PB tried to schedule a 'pre-decking' inspection for today. They said they would call us if they got it. No call... so we were at the store today when the inspector showed up and left a note on our gate. We mentioned it to the PB and, shocking, she stated they made the appointment but then went home because she didn't feel well (instead of spending 15 seconds leaving us a note like you said you would?). Hm, oh well, I guess that's customer service eh? We told the inspector to come back on the 19th when we're back. The yard is sealed up and we'll be away until then, but stay tuned as I'll be back with a vengeance for the final steps of the project!

Yesterday the PB tried to schedule a 'pre-decking' inspection for today. They said they would call us if they got it. No call... so we were at the store today when the inspector showed up and left a note on our gate. We mentioned it to the PB and, shocking, she stated they made the appointment but then went home because she didn't feel well (instead of spending 15 seconds leaving us a note like you said you would?). Hm, oh well, I guess that's customer service eh? We told the inspector to come back on the 19th when we're back. The yard is sealed up and we'll be away until then, but stay tuned as I'll be back with a vengeance for the final steps of the project!
Enjoy your vacation.. so sad we have to keep our pb on task.. same stuff with me and different mananger so figure.

Did you ever connect with my friend to discuss her experience? I sent you a PM with her email a while back and I think she can offer you a lot of insights. In the meantime, enjoy your vacation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - 9/15 Some Questions!

Questions are with the last 2 pix!

Greetings from Costa Rica! We've had some movement on the project during our absence due to our housesitter. We passed pre-decking inspection and we had the cement guy come out and quote us. He quoted TWICE the amount we were planning/expecting so we'll be pursuing other quotes from other people. In the mean time we've had some recon go on at our pool and some housesitter commentary!

P9120012-1.jpg

A broken tile was noticed, we informed the PB and said they'd take care of it...

P9150014-1.jpg

This deposit was noted on this... device in the equipment... the equipment hasn't been touched since the plumbers were there... over a month ago... but should we be concerned about this residue?

P9150015-1.jpg

A question came up that I've been thinking about for quite a while... the spa is difficult to get into. Note that the 1st little step is 12'' from the coping... then the seat is ~13'' from that step... and then ~25'' to the bottom (it may not look like it due to the photo, but it is 2ft). I understand the concept that the pool/spa is more difficult to get into without water in it, but the pool can at least be stepped into, this is step onto the step, then step onto the seat, and then 2ft down to the bottom. Rightfully so it's a deep spa, and we like it deep, but, should there not be a 3rd step or something below the step? My mother will forever be crouching on the seat to get onto the 1st step instead of just 'walking' out of the spa. We've been looking at this thing for so long, but the realization just finally came around... the spa is not easy at all to get in and out of. What should we do/can be done?

Any thoughts are always appreciated. Thanks again!

We don't have a step between the floor and the seat and it is a bit awkward getting out of the spa for that reason. Getting in is no problem, but exiting is not graceful. However we didn't feel we had enough room to give up on the floor to add another step. Maybe you do. And adding it is easy. I had a seat built onto the regular seat after shotcrete was done and the PB just framed it out and poured concrete right on top of the existing seat before plastering. My whole family loves that we added this extra seat at a higher level for when we get too hot but don't want to get fully out of the spa. Also, we use it a lot as a place to rest our elbows on (like an arm rest), lean on with our backs, and lay on top of so our lower bodies are floating out behind us in the water.

We recently finished our spa and we have an extra step between the seat and the bottom. I wasn't sure it was necessary but I really like it. Your PB can add a step still. I've seen it done lots of times and there doesn't seem to be any concern over it bonding with the gunite. Once plaster goes on, you'll never be able to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - 9/22 Decking to begin!

Welp y'all, after pestering several different cement guys, and quotes ranging from 12k to 6k, people driving sports cars to broken down trucks, and varying levels of discussion, we're going forward with a guy to do the decking and planter/wing walls! He's apparently showing up tomorrow to start leveling the dirt and get things into place for forms to go in. We'll be working with him on the drains and have said that while we're doing part A right now, part B can certainly be done down the line (after the pool is done).

We had a gate guy show up today, he's going to work on our rusted self closing hinges on the side gate. Also we're going to get some mesh to put up on our gate because apparently the middle bar in it "could be used as a step" per the inspector.

We'll see if anything goes on tomorrow *fingers crossed*... in the mean time, we're going to consider that 3rd step in the spa (also we're apparently looking at rails for the pool steps (decking installed, not into the plaster).

Cheers!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - 9/26 decking finally begins!

Welp, work has finally begun on the decking... we went with a low quote... and we're doing some things ourselves... just bought cinder blocks for the planter walls (they'll be picked up tomorrow I think), we booked a bobcat to arrive today for the cement guy to use but it has yet to show up, and we'll be putting in the PVC drainage system (guy is digging the trenches, I'll just lay and glue the pipe).

This portion will prove to be interesting, we did not use the cement guy through the pool company and thus saved ourselves ~$6,000. We sent an email to the PB about putting the jumprock in place (specifically stated it is included in the contract) so that the cement work can be poured to it etc., but she never got back to us (and in turn did send us an email a week later saying she'll be gone for the next week or so). Our cement guy has said he thinks he's OK to move the rock in to place and the cement will take a bit, so, her absence doesn't matter right now.

We changed the raised deck design a bit and 'straightened' the steps so as to give more area to the upper deck-

new20upper20patio20designpng-1.jpg

Please excuse my quick crude drawing. But compared to the previous concept, the steps are now straight out from the spa adding some nice sitting space for chairs and a firepit (the little metal ones) up there.

P9230037-1.jpg

We played with some tape and got a feel for where the steps will be. One thing about raising the spa so much is, ya gotta get up there!

P9230036-1.jpg

To help out with the cement guy and the work he needs to do, I spent Friday renting a roto hammer and went through various spots of the yard to 'loosen' up the ground. It was a work out and literally shook me up, but it should quicken some work to be done with prepping the yard for cement forms as well as lowering the West side (photo). You would be amazed at how you can scrape this 'ground' with a bobcat, and it will not budge... but go through first with a roto hammer doing a grid like this with 8 inch deep holes to shake things up, the bobcat can suddenly cut through it like butter.

Guy is digging the trenches for planter walls up around the spa right now... already took out 2 ~2-3ft boulders... easily though thanks to me shaking them all up a bit.

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.