New Pool HELP needed

CanadianPool

May 22, 2021
Ontario Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello from Canada!
I am almost completed my construction on a 14X28 vinyl liner Latham Steel wall pool. My builder is suggesting that I do not use a SWG for my vinyl pool. He admittedly has built many swg vinyl pools but says over time he’s seen the damage (corrosion) from salt water. I’ve read here and other places that that could be related to pool upkeep by owner. As SWG is not set and forget!
He recommended a AOP system with chlorine. I want to do what’s best for the pool but I also wanted salt water as it’s apparently softer on skin.
my pool gets full sun 11am-5pm on average and we see 80-100 degree weather and high humidity in summer months. Looking for any help making a decision on system. I can pick Hayward SWG or DEL-aop by CMP

THANK YOU TFP USERS!

Welcome to TFP.

How many gallons in your pool?

Get a Hayward SWG and run it at the low end of the salt range around 2800-3000 ppm. Higher salt levels tend to burn up components in the Hayward SWG board.

There is also a low salt version Hayward sells in Canada that you can consider.

Thank you for answering the pool is about 14000 gallons. My concern is why are the saying salt water is harder on liner and pool heater and components. Any truth to this?
Welcome to TFP.

How many gallons in your pool?

Get a Hayward SWG and run it at the low end of the salt range around 2800-3000 ppm. Higher salt levels tend to burn up components in the Hayward SWG board.

There is also a low salt version Hayward sells in Canada that you can consider.

Thank you for answering the pool is about 14000 gallons. My concern is why are the saying salt water is harder on liner and pool heater and components. Any truth to this?

No, thousands of folks here are using SWGs with liners and heaters.

Ask yourself this, the SWGs are sold by the major pool companies. Why would they sell a product that damages the other things they sell?

Welcome to TFP :)

A chlorine pool is a salt water pool.. when you use pucks, liquid chlorine or salt water generator they all have salt.. A normal pool will have salt levels in the 1500 to 2000 range within a year or 2...

So get a salt water generator and enjoy not putting chlorine in your pool everyday as it does it for you. :)

Thank you. I agree completely with the chlorine pools have salt, however, been reading a lot about water chemistry and that the ppm of salt in a SWG pool would be ten times as salty also that the SWG with salt makes water conducive which causes the corrosion. I’ve read things can be done to negate that however. I was really hoping for some more information from people with AOP pools. If you know of a thread related to this topic please point me there. Thanks so much!!

Thank you. I agree completely with the chlorine pools have salt, however, been reading a lot about water chemistry and that the ppm of salt in a SWG pool would be ten times as salty also that the SWG with salt makes water conducive which causes the corrosion. I’ve read things can be done to negate that however. I was really hoping for some more information from people with AOP pools. If you know of a thread related to this topic please point me there. Thanks so much!!

You've likely come to the wrong place for opinions on adding an AOP ozonator to your pool, as TFP advocates keeping things simple by using chlorine as the only sanitizer, and many here use salt water to generate that chlorine, as it greatly reduces maintenance. An AOP pool still requires chlorine and increases maintenance as it likely has to be added manually. If a UV light is part of your system, its annual replacement will add to your cost.

Modern pools are built with SWCGs in mind, so all components are resistant to salt water. There are even pools that use VERY salty water right from the ocean without difficulty. Fundy National Park in New Brunswick has one.

Ask your pool store to recommend an online support forum for AOP customers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.