New pool, first tests results show no chlorine?

scottgar12

Aug 13, 2020
Central PA
I’m a new pool owner and new to the forum (although I’ve already read and learned a lot from here). My pool builder (PB) just finished our gunite pool with pebbletec and filled it with water 4 days ago. It was filled with “spring water” and the day of the PB came and added 6 gallons of Muriatic acid, two half gallons of some type of metal protectant, and put one 3” chlorine puck in each skimmer.

My wife and I have been brushing the pool twice a day and skimming as necessary. The PB said I didn’t need to add anything until they came back for the closing meeting which is this Wednesday. The auto over goes on tomorrow. my TF 100 test kit came in the mail and I couldn’t help but try a test.

The confusing part of my test is there was no chlorine detected either in the TF drop test or the included Taylor k1000. The cya test said nothing as well. The ph was 6.8, and alkalinity was 90. The CH test seemed odd because the solution turned more pink instead of red and ended up turning purple after 14 drops, it turned more of a blue after a few more. All of this concerned me because I didn’t know if the chlorine or alkalinity results are correct, or if I even did the test correctly. Do these results make any sense?

Welcome to TFP.

Did your builder give you a startup guide? PEBBLETEC Salt SWG

The chlorine pucks are slowly adding chlorine and CYA. Not the best way to do it but go with your builder right now.

pH is a bit low but with TA of 90 and new plaster it will rise naturally.

Sounds like your CH may be 140 but give your plaster some time to cure and retest in a week.

Nothing very out of wack from what you posted.

It is really best to follow the PB guidelines right now until he turns the pool over to you.
Did he give you a 14 day or 28 guide? Your brushing is great. Do not run a cleaner for at least 14 days (maybe longer - ask the PB). Normally hold off on starting the SWCG for 28 days (again ask the PB for specifics).
You will need to specifically ask the PB how he will raise CYA. Also, will he provide the salt to meet the needs for the SWCG?
Make a list of questions for your meeting on Wednesday as that may be the last day you see him! I assume he is paid in full now or will be on Wednesday.

Thank you both! the link is helpful and I had not seen that. I assume PB will give us more information on Wednesday which we will follow. PB has said no swg for the first 30 days and Im assuming no heater either. I was thinking maybe they get the cya from the pucks as they have some in it, but I will definitely quiz them as to what the level should be and when or if we should add more chlorine and cya. They have done a great job so far.

I would get the pucks out of the skimmer and into a floater. You don’t want that low pH water getting into your equipment. I’m surprised they did that. Even my original pool maintenance guy warned me about that.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.