New Pool Contract | Upcoming Build - Atlanta, GA

Sep 20, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hey everyone,

I am ecstatic that I found this forum with so much information and genuinely helpful members. I look forward to lots of information and conversation.

We will soon be first time pool owners!!! After nine months of thinking, planning and interviewing we have finalized our design (attached) and selected our pool builder!!! Boy has it been a long and exciting process. Our design is unique and awesome for our family's needs and our pool builder is the best fit for this unique task (AND they come highly recommended)!!! We just signed our contract yesterday and just can't wait until we can enjoy a pool in our own backyard. I can't wait until we get started and I have lots of pictures to share!

Screenshot_20180927-104053_Drive.jpg

Share your thoughts. Below are some of our details:

Pool & Spa

- Gunite Concrete Shell
- Pool SF 1,181
- Pool LF 234
- Pool Depth 3ft - 6ft
- Approximately 35,000 gallons
- Tanning Ledge (6ft x 12ft) w/two Bubblers & umbrella sleeve
- Rock Coping
- Raised Spa 7ft x 7ft w/Spillway (6 Venturi jets)
- In-pool sitting area w/Raised stacked stone fire pit & flagstone steps
- Raised stacked stone bond beam
- Two Skimmers
- Two Main Drains
- Four Returns
- Pebble Sheen Black Onyx finish

Equipment

- Pentair Easy Touch 8 Function Automation System with IC40 Salt System
- Pentair Easy Touch Mobile Device Interface
- Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 3 HP Pump
- Pentair/Sta-Rite Modular Media 450 Cartridge Filter
- Pentair NG Master Temp Heater 400,000 BTU
- Pentair Intellibrite 5G White LED Pool Light
- Pentair Intellibrite 5G White LED Spa Light
- Pentair 18" Sheer Waterfalls
- Pentair Deck Jets
- Pentair Prowler 920 Robotic Pool Cleaner

Decking

- Belgard LaFitt Avondale Rustic Slab Decking (1,500SF)
- Wet Laid Flagstone Decking

Hi there, welcome to posting (since you've said you've already been reading)!!

I'm concerned with the areas behind the "in pool sitting area" as being dead space for circulation. Can you add some returns there?

What is the length and width of the pool? With all these cut seating and stair cut ins do you have enough actual swimming space?

You need to raise the SWG to the IC60. We always recommend going at least 2x so that you can run it on low and extend the cells lifespan. And have enough FC when needed.

Maddie :flower:

Here is the inspiration pool!

mmKgtX9.jpg

Sr8UCb4.jpg

KZA458n.png

Hi there, welcome to posting (since you've said you've already been reading)!!

I'm concerned with the areas behind the "in pool sitting area" as being dead space for circulation. Can you add some returns there?

What is the length and width of the pool? With all these cut seating and stair cut ins do you have enough actual swimming space?

You need to raise the SWG to the IC60. We always recommend going at least 2x so that you can run it on low and extend the cells lifespan. And have enough FC when needed.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for the tips! The width of the pool is 41' and the length is 43' from water edge to water edge. We laid it out and should have plenty of swimming space (I Hope)! I shared the inspiration pool below.

- - - Updated - - -

hey there-

Welcome- Im in atlanta as well.... About 3/4 done with our build. This is a great forum.

Excellent. Any pictures?

Soooo that lowered sitting area with the fire pit. Drainage in there? All I think about is the rain we have been getting where I live and that thing would be a pool also.

Pretty wicked design. Very cool.

I agree with above too regarding the dead areas. As soon as I saw ur drawing my mind said 1 return pointing out from the steps into the pool to keep that water moving. In those 2 little coves.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually now when I look again. I would make the steps the width of the lower area so u don’t have those little coves. They r pretty useless anyway and then u would not have to worry about the dead water. Would make the opening into that area more grand also. Wider steps always make areas look larger.

Call me inspired! WOWZER!

Lets talk so details:

-depths-where will the 3' are be? That is not deep enough to do a good crawl stroke. You will hurt your knuckles. Take a tape measure and see where 3' hits your and see what you think.

-spots on either side of the walk way to that wonderful fire pit area. I agree with Maddie that it could be a problem area due to no circulation. I am thinking maybe seeing if you can get a 1/2" pipe run to there. T it off so there is a return on either side to push the water out. It should have it's own valve so you can control the flow as needed.

I would LOVE to see a picture of where this thing of beauty will be going!

Kim:kim:

Soooo that lowered sitting area with the fire pit. Drainage in there? All I think about is the rain we have been getting where I live and that thing would be a pool also.

Pretty wicked design. Very cool.

I agree with above too regarding the dead areas. As soon as I saw ur drawing my mind said 1 return pointing out from the steps into the pool to keep that water moving. In those 2 little coves.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually now when I look again. I would make the steps the width of the lower area so u don’t have those little coves. They r pretty useless anyway and then u would not have to worry about the dead water. Would make the opening into that area more grand also. Wider steps always make areas look larger.

Yes there is a drain in the fire pit area for rain etc. Good points on the "coves". Thanks.

Lets talk so details:

-depths-where will the 3' are be? That is not deep enough to do a good crawl stroke. You will hurt your knuckles. Take a tape measure and see where 3' hits your and see what you think.

-spots on either side of the walk way to that wonderful fire pit area. I agree with Maddie that it could be a problem area due to no circulation. I am thinking maybe seeing if you can get a 1/2" pipe run to there. T it off so there is a return on either side to push the water out. It should have it's own valve so you can control the flow as needed.

View attachment 87022

Will post up some drone pictures of the pool's home tomorrow!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
npg,

As Maddie has pointed out.. the IC40 is way too small for your pool. Even running at 100% output, you will have to run your pump a minimum of 15 hours a day.

Salt cells are rated when operating at 100% and for 24/7... We recommend a cell that is 2 x the volume of your pool which would be 70K, but the IC60 is the biggest residential cell that Pentair sells.

I love my Easytouch, but Pentair has just come out with the IntelliCenter which has more capabilities than the EasyTouch and also has a color touch screen... You might ask your pool builder about it. Better to ask, then be disappointed in what you get...

I agree with everyone else... Those two little dead spots are going to turn into real pains in the rear, unless you have a return in each one. Even then, they will collect all the junk and no cleaner made will get in there.. Often what is visually very pretty is just not practical in real life.. :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Looks great.

Put some returns up on the shelf. Especially in those cubbies. Its gonna be hard to keep those areas clean, the robot wont get there and there wont be sun there much. It will be prone to collecting debris and algae.

Very cools design. as other said, beware the water buildup in the sunken fire pit area......floor drains also.

We are also doing the Belgard Lafitt Avondale- love the look.

Looks great.

Put some returns up on the shelf. Especially in those cubbies. Its gonna be hard to keep those areas clean, the robot wont get there and there wont be sun there much. It will be prone to collecting debris and algae.

Very cools design. as other said, beware the water buildup in the sunken fire pit area......floor drains also.

We are also doing the Belgard Lafitt Avondale- love the look.

Thanks!

Lets talk so details:

This is where she is going!

z0rk9Bi.jpg

pm1Hvt4.jpg

MLN44NG.jpg

Look at that GA red clay!! OH the joys of slip, sliding on it! Forget getting any clothes clean after playing in it!

Have you scraped the yard already? Are you going to slope the decking so rain runoff does not flood your neighbors yard? Where will you send the rain run off?

That is a HUGE house! WOWER! So pretty! Love all of the patios! A place for everyone!

Look at that GA red clay!! OH the joys of slip, sliding on it! Forget getting any clothes clean after playing in it!

Have you scraped the yard already? Are you going to slope the decking so rain runoff does not flood your neighbors yard? Where will you send the rain run off?

That is a HUGE house! WOWER! So pretty! Love all of the patios! A place for everyone!

Yeh the GA red clay is no joke. Lol. Not sure what the pool builder has planned for the runoff but they have it covered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.