New Pool Construction - So Cal - PLS HELP!!

Jpoollove

Jun 8, 2020
Irvine CA
We have finished dig out, currently finishing up the rebar. Having trouble with two decisions.

1) steps. The Baja is 18” deep (we did that because we want to sit it in also, and have the kids 2&4y/o splash around there; later we can put deep aqua chairs). We will add a step into the Baja and pool, 9” down. What about from the Baja to the pool? The pool transitions from 3’6”—>5’6” deep end (likely 4’6”ish in the middle of the pool where the Baja ends). Firstly, do we do 1 step down 12” which will be 1’6” Baja step to 2’6” to floor 3’6” (& deeper drop off from middle to jacuzzi side of Baja)? OR do we do two steps off the shallow side only halfway through the Baja and leave a shelf on the other side? I guess my main question is, is 12” too deep to walk down/up? Any suggestions so greatly appreciated 🙏

2) coping: PB says concrete or travertine coping is used in 99% of his builds. I chose porcelain pavers for the deck everywhere else in the backyard, along with artificial turf. I wanted to use the same porcelain pavers for the coping... has anyone done this? PB says it’s too thin (3/4”) so he would do a concrete base and then veneer it on the front 4”. Does this sound right? Wonder how others choose their coping????
Thank youuuuuuu!!

Attachments

• 921AB5F6-30A5-44B3-9289-3D94F46E29E3.jpeg
    921AB5F6-30A5-44B3-9289-3D94F46E29E3.jpeg
    951.2 KB · Views: 28
  • D26D83F2-AF10-463D-9752-24B2055BC45B.jpeg
    D26D83F2-AF10-463D-9752-24B2055BC45B.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 29
I would make sure to have tile markers on the shelf...............big, bright, bold ones to really catch the eye. Then I would put the steps in the shallow end only but hugging the wall and just enough for you go up and down with tile markers on them!

I would make sure to have tile markers on the shelf...............big, bright, bold ones to really catch the eye. Then I would put the steps in the shallow end only but hugging the wall and just enough for you go up and down with tile markers on them!
Thank you SO much for your advice! Will definitely do the tile markers, we didn’t think of that before! And another friend also mentioned not to do the step all the way across because someone might expect a step down again... so I think we’ll just go halfway-ish.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.