New pool build

Get every stage of everything. Anything uploaded here will stay forever even if you accidentally delete then from the cloud.

Reactions: Aquagenarian
Plumber showed up and schooled me. One skimmer now on shallow end like yours :)
Full Disclosure: I have no idea if my set up is ideal, that's just how I thought it would make sense to place two of them given my wind rose chart. If I had to do it over again (and after my experience, I will almost assuredly never build a pool again, buying a house with one if I ever have to), I'd probably do 3 skimmers, getting one close to the steps on the short part of the L because I do have some thoughts of a deadzone happening. Hoping the return there is enough to circulate to get to the two skimmers.

My only critique so far, and it's probably not worth changing at this point, is that you hooked the drains up to your skimmers rather than doing independent runs back to the equipment pad. While what you have works in practice, it is very hydraulically inefficient and gives you little to no control over drain suction. It certainly simplifies the plumbing runs but at the cost of being able to independently change the amount of suction you draw from the skimmers versus the drains. Once they are set like that, the drain suction is entire a function of the draw on the skimmer in question and the flow will balance in a way that favors one skimmer over the other. It could be changed at this point but at the cost of ripping up some of your plumbing, adding more runs back to the pad, and likely ticking off your very highly skilled plumber ...

Plumbing started, drain and skimmers in. Some pipes and sweep 90’s in the trenches.
I don't have a main drain, so my thoughts my be irrelevant here, but in looking at the pictures, do you have your main drain on the same plumbing line as that skimmer next to it? I don't know how big of a deal it will be since you also have another skimmer which I assume is on a dedicated line, but I am of the opinion to keep them all on their own dedicated lines.

My only critique so far, and it's probably not worth changing at this point, is that you hooked the drains up to your skimmers rather than doing independent runs back to the equipment pad. While what you have works in practice, it is very hydraulically inefficient and gives you little to no control over drain suction. It certainly simplifies the plumbing runs but at the cost of being able to independently change the amount of suction you draw from the skimmers versus the drains. Once they are set like that, the drain suction is entire a function of the draw on the skimmer in question and the flow will balance in a way that favors one skimmer over the other. It could be changed at this point but at the cost of ripping up some of your plumbing, adding more runs back to the pad, and likely ticking off your very highly skilled plumber ...
This skimmer is about 25 ft from the pumps. Other skimmer is further away. Hopefully it works out

I don't have a main drain, so my thoughts my be irrelevant here, but in looking at the pictures, do you have your main drain on the same plumbing line as that skimmer next to it? I don't know how big of a deal it will be since you also have another skimmer which I assume is on a dedicated line, but I am of the opinion to keep them all on their own dedicated lines.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you don’t need that much room to split the filter and the lid goes straight up to remove.
I have the plumber install an extended pipe from the clean-out cap on the bottom of the filter to an open area that’s easily accessible for when you break down the filter.View attachment 491521
My bro was telling me to drain the water before pulling the filter. Said they are pretty heavy to pull out. Hence my concern with pump next to it. An after thought.

For our finishes we are thinking the following: pour in place coping dark grey, natural concrete deck color, waterline tile- ontario pool tile Pacifico blue, and Ontario pool tile blue pearl ledger stone on the spa and deep end raised bond beam. We are between stonscape micro pebble French grey or Tahoe blue like in the link below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Just in case you have not seen this thread:

I love all of your other picks! That is really going to look great when it is done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.