New Pool Build, Yet Another in DFW

S,

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but if I were tortured, I'd have to admit that all of the big three, Pentair, Jandy and Hayward, all have very similar systems..

Of course Pentair is slightly better.. :)

I am not a fan of heat bending of PVC pipe, but I don't have any reasoning behind it other than my personal preference..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Snikwah
"Here's the second builder's design. They use Jandy equipment as opposed to Pentair. Also, the filter will not be DE, it will be equivalent cartridge. This company is definitely more "flashy" for lack of a better word. Their showroom is huge and has lots of props, and production value. I do however get a better vibe from the first guys. They are completely different in their approaches. The first place uses shotcrete and second uses gunite with "super structure". Second place also heat bends their plumbing...I thought that was a no-no? "

On my second meeting with RBS (the heat bending people) I let them know I have been in the plumbing supply biz for over 25 years and EVERY PVC manf says bending PVC would change it molecular structure and make the outside of the bend weak. Pointed out where it is not code in IPC nor UPC plumbing code books (pool plumbing is not regulated in Texas by the TSBPE). I asked if they would consider plumbing the pool like every other pool builder in DFW. Never heard back.

On my second meeting with RBS (the heat bending people) I let them know I have been in the plumbing supply biz for over 25 years and EVERY PVC manf says bending PVC would change it molecular structure and make the outside of the bend weak. Pointed out where it is not code in IPC nor UPC plumbing code books (pool plumbing is not regulated in Texas by the TSBPE). I asked if they would consider plumbing the pool like every other pool builder in DFW. Never heard back.
Thanks for the replies all.. That is so funny that you knew exactly who I was talking about. Yes, they are very proud of the fact that they heat bend. The 25' tall wall of bent pipes vs. the standard right next to it with the pumps showing the flow rate for each. I will say, it's a compelling argument if you didn't know any better, standing there looking at that massive display. I just don't get warm fuzzies from this builder and I'm 99% sure we will not be using them. They seem rather arrogant to me...and their sales guy just rubbed me the wrong way from day one. On to the next... ;) Third company's design meeting is tomorrow at 11am. =D

Third builder's design meeting was pretty underwhelming today. Their bid came in significantly over our budget, which I was kind of expecting based on my own research. This is not a large pool, or even a ton of decking...just over 350 sq/ft of decking in this design. Pool is only 24' x 17' with a 5' x 7' spa. $88,765 for this size of pool seems VERY high to me. My expectations for price on the pool with spa is ~70k. Am I just way off base on my pricing expectations for the DFW area?

Unfortunately price is one of the big thing we cannot help with as they vary GREATLY even from one side of a big time town to another. We don't mind money talk on here at all but trying to say if a price is high or low is almost impossible. Do what you are doing....getting quotes trying to make sure they are apples to apples as much as possible. Get model numbers for all for the equipment.

I totally understand pricing is most definitely regional, which is why I specifically asked for DFW area. I will continue getting quotes to see if this is indeed typical. But the question was specifically for anyone that has recently gone through this process in this area to see if this sounded as high as it does to me. Similar design from another builder using similar equipment and finishes was a lot closer to my expected budget. Only having seen 2 companies quotes...it's hard to say which is closer to reality.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So
Third builder's design meeting was pretty underwhelming today. Their bid came in significantly over our budget, which I was kind of expecting based on my own research. This is not a large pool, or even a ton of decking...just over 350 sq/ft of decking in this design. Pool is only 24' x 17' with a 5' x 7' spa. $88,765 for this size of pool seems VERY high to me. My expectations for price on the pool with spa is ~70k. Am I just way off base on my pricing expectations for the DFW area?

If you already have a bid closer to your budget, then it would seem this one is just pricy. We had one like that (Robertson)...other 3 were closer to each other but Robertson was way higher. They employ their own workers (no subs except gunite I think) and I think they are one of the 3 DFW authorized Pebbletec installers (might be wrong on that...don't quote me!). We just wrote them off as 'over our budget' and moved on. Interestingly, they and Riverbend never even followed up with us after our design meetings. Must be nice to have that much business! So many variables in price that it's hard to compare with others (heck, it's hard to compare between builders for your own plan!). We did an outdoor kitchen, covered gazebo and the pool...never priced just the pool by itself so don't have any insight for you on just the pool quote. Good luck!

3D renders of the first builder's design. Meeting with them on Saturday to get the exact amount. I like this one the best so far.

Attachments

• file1-4.jpeg
    file1-4.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 112
  • file3-1.jpeg
    file3-1.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 108
  • file4-3.jpeg
    file4-3.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 106
  • file-6.jpeg
    file-6.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 108
  • file6-2.jpeg
    file6-2.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 108
  • file7-2.jpeg
    file7-2.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 97
S,

The exact same pool, from the same company, can be very different in pricing just based upon which side of the tracks you live on.. It is not like a store where the price is stamped on a tag.. It is the typical "How much can they afford" type of pricing..

Thanks,

Jim R.

make sure you have every specific detail from the render on your actual bid and contract

we saw some fancy 3d renders with items that were not included when we started talking price during our bid process
Oh yeah, a lot of that is just eye candy... they're not doing any landscaping work or anything. (y)

without the decking, our 42X18 pool & spa ended up at 71K (in N. CA) Decking was an additional charge at $9/square (we did about 1400 sq ft). The builder we really wanted to use came in at 96K and I could not stomach it. We had a fixed budget for the project and I decided rather than compromise on the pool we wanted to go with the lower price. The trade-off is the owner does almost all of the work himself, he has like 3 guys who may or may not show up for work. Took us 15 weeks from dig to plaster today. We paid our deposit last November. In the grand scheme of things, we lost a few weeks of swimming but got everything we wanted.

without the decking, our 42X18 pool & spa ended up at 71K (in N. CA) Decking was an additional charge at $9/square (we did about 1400 sq ft). The builder we really wanted to use came in at 96K and I could not stomach it. We had a fixed budget for the project and I decided rather than compromise on the pool we wanted to go with the lower price. The trade-off is the owner does almost all of the work himself, he has like 3 guys who may or may not show up for work. Took us 15 weeks from dig to plaster today. We paid our deposit last November. In the grand scheme of things, we lost a few weeks of swimming but got everything we wanted.
Sounds like a good deal to me... I'm also not in a hurry, so I'm still getting bids. 2 of the second group of 4 done so far. Next 2 are scheduled for next week, then we wait for the designs and cost. :LOL:

Here are the 4 designs we have received so far. Tried to pick the most top down photos from each one. I like number 1 the best so far I think. I like how the tanning ledge and spa are mostly out of the main pool area, allowing the full length to go from 3.5' to 6.5'. Should allow for a less steep slope and have a little more shallow area. Still have 3 builder's designs we have yet to see.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 77
I agree with you on #1! That and 2 are the best for the very reason you state. Now remember that you can show that to the other two PB and see what they can do for you. Make sure to get a list of equipment WITH modal numbers from every one so we can help with that as well.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.