Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Helloooo!
We just had our in ground pool finished (2years and finally our dream pool!) with AquaBrite, filled it (~30k gal 24’x32’) with the hose, we’re told not to add salt for 30 days, but now (7days in) I see green algae developing on the stairs floor walls. I ordered a TF test kit for salt pool but have no idea if I should be doing something. The company has not really given us instructions on brushing or vacuuming so I have only been running the robot. Should I brush and vacuum? Was thinking I should get liquid chlorine and pour it in but I have no idea how much. What steps should I take while I wait for my test kit? We are determined to learn ourselves however the initial start up is really confusing since we have this aquabrite finish (plus SWG,)which doesn’t really follow the rules for plaster but it’s not quite fiberglass…. I’m such a newbie so I’ll post pics and did my best to complete my profile and signature w info.
I have been reading a ton on TFP and so happy this forum exists any help is appreciated I will be on here a lot this summer! Thank you!

Attachments

• 96E97364-56BC-4FA6-8415-C90FF7197A56.jpeg
    96E97364-56BC-4FA6-8415-C90FF7197A56.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 4728B807-A012-4729-B599-A320DAEF5149.jpeg
    4728B807-A012-4729-B599-A320DAEF5149.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 17
  • A5185C97-4314-4335-997C-683E163DE7CB.jpeg
    A5185C97-4314-4335-997C-683E163DE7CB.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 17
  • C61FC691-887F-461E-8911-06A9F9FC49FA.jpeg
    C61FC691-887F-461E-8911-06A9F9FC49FA.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 15
  • F6956F4D-2F47-4DE5-8653-1715FDEF330C.jpeg
    F6956F4D-2F47-4DE5-8653-1715FDEF330C.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to TFP
Do you know if the PB added any chemicals after the initial fill? Does the PB have any responsibility for the startup or is it left up to you?
You really need to have a test kit prior to just adding chemicals. While you can add chlorine, it may dissipate quite rapidly as I feel there is no CYA in the water to help hold the chlorine. You need to also have Muriatic Acid on hand as that should have been added initially.
Does the AquaBrite website provide any startup guidelines? Attached is the NPC recommendations for plaster.

Edit - definitely brush. Is your pump running continuously?

Attachments

• npc-start-up-card-lsi.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to TFP
Do you know if the PB added any chemicals after the initial fill? Does the PB have any responsibility for the startup or is it left up to you?
You really need to have a test kit prior to just adding chemicals. While you can add chlorine, it may dissipate quite rapidly as I feel there is no CYA in the water to help hold the chlorine. You need to also have Muriatic Acid on hand as that should have been added initially.
Does the AquaBrite website provide any startup guidelines? Attached is the NPC recommendations for plaster.

Hi and thanks so much- PB said I was going to be fine for 30 days and yes they came and poured some brownish yellow stuff after the pool was filled. The pump is only running 12 hours. Do I need to keep it running 24hours? PB didn’t mention it. I did find a maintenance guide for the Aquabrite BUT I don’t understand it bc it refers to chlorine pools here it is attached.

Attachments

• PoolCareGuide 6x8.indd.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Welcome to TFP

PS- P.B up to this point is hit or miss when communicating I called them this AM for service and no answer I basically have to hound them for an answer throughout this whole process.

I did find a maintenance guide for the Aquabrite BUT I don’t understand it bc it refers to chlorine pools here it is attached.
Not sure I understand your comment - you have a "Co-pilot salt system". This system automatically converts the salt into chlorine which is required to properly maintain the pool. so a salt system pool is actually a chlorine pool.

The TFP process does not follow traditional pool store or other parameters for water sanitization levels. The focus is on self-testing your pool water and following the FC/CYA Levels to maintain the proper sanitization. Refer to the char for SWCG where it outlines the target FC level for your CYA value.

I strongly suggest you download the PoolMath app which has all the tables built in once you set up your pool parameters and salt system.

Once you get your pool up and running, you will not need to purchase algaecides or other non-essential chemicals.
You will need Muriatic Acid to maintain your pH in acceptable levels. In the manual they call it Aquabrite pH minus.

Review Also this is helpful -

Reactions: Phiandnhi2022
So here is your job for tomorrow:
-find and buy some liquid chlorine-Walmart or the pool store-get about 5 gallons.
-Order your own test kit. Here is a link to the ones we use Test Kits Compared

Once you get the chlorine add enough to add 5 ppm two times a day. Use the pool math link to know how much that would be. Do this until the test kit gets there.

When your test kit gets there test to see if they added any CYA. Here is a link to help you know how to do the tests:

Keep brushing the pool at least twice a day AND run the pump 24/7 for now.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Phiandnhi2022
So here is your job for tomorrow:
-find and buy some liquid chlorine-Walmart or the pool store-get about 5 gallons.
-Order your own test kit. Here is a link to the ones we use Test Kits Compared

Once you get the chlorine add enough to add 5 ppm two times a day. Use the pool math link to know how much that would be. Do this until the test kit gets there.

When your test kit gets there test to see if they added any CYA. Here is a link to help you know how to do the tests:

Keep brushing the pool at least twice a day AND run the pump 24/7 for now.

Kim:kim:
Thank you! If I’m understanding you and using the pool math app correctly I’m inputting 5 into the target fc box which gives me how much bleach to pour in.
Changed pump to run 24 hrs. Brushing like my life depends on it bc pool life gives me life…

Reactions: kimkats
UPDATE: I brushed and ran the pump 24 hrs starting last night. Used liquid chlorine per pool math app. Ran the robot all morning. I have a clearer bluer pool! I can’t believe it but I’m now a believer that I can do this on my own! Test kit from TF Test on its way tomorrow. You think I can swim in it today? Ah it’s so hard to wait…

Attachments

• 502BFCE2-1261-4D16-92C1-3697F9F1674F.jpeg
    502BFCE2-1261-4D16-92C1-3697F9F1674F.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.