New Pool Build Thread in Cypress TX (NW Houston)

While you wait for the SWG to catch up, add some bleach. It's fine to supplement/support the SWG with bleach/chlorine in times like this. Do that today. In this heat, the sooner the better.

Do you have any questions about buying bleach/chlorine for the pool or how much to add?

While you wait for the SWG to catch up, add some bleach. It's fine to supplement/support the SWG with bleach/chlorine in times like this. Do that today. In this heat, the sooner the better.

Do you have any questions about buying bleach/chlorine for the pool or how much to add?

Can I just throw a couple of chlorine tabs in the skimmers right now to get FC up? ..... And yes, what kind of bleach should I buy, just normal Clorox bleach?

Also, how long does it take for the SWG to make enough chlorine?

In times like this, waking up to very low FC, I would use "instant" FC aka bleach/chlorine to get the FC up fast. The pucks are quite a bit slower. I will let Suz tell you where to buy it in your area but it is plain bleach.

Raise your FC to target level with liquid chlorine.

An IC40 can create 1.4# of chlorine gas per day. I use the SWG Run Time Calculator

I would assume a FC use per day of 4 ppm right now. So essentially, you need to run your SWCG at 100% for 12 hours per day.

Raise your FC to target level with liquid chlorine.

An IC40 can create 1.4# of chlorine gas per day. I use the SWG Run Time Calculator

I would assume a FC use per day of 4 ppm right now. So essentially, you need to run your SWCG at 100% for 12 hours per day.

:shock: .... Wow that's crazy.... Ok, well I threw a couple pucks in because that's what I have on hand now. Headed to the store in a bit for some bleach.

Hey Mike, the "neighborhood market" Walmart at Eldridge and Grant has the 6% bleach. Get their Great Buy. Don't get one with additives such as for fragrance, splash proof, etc. It's now 6% strength.

Krogers also has their brand, but I don't know the strength.

I like the pool bleach at the big Walmart - it's in the pool section. It's strength is 10%, so you need less.

Question about salt level. My Pentair app says 2550. Drop test says 3000. IC40 says recommended salt level 3500.... so if the SWG thinks there’s only 2550 salt, will it still produce chlorine properly? And should I add more salt to get to 3500 like the IC40 label says or keep it at 3000?

Are you getting a Low Salt light on the SWCG? It has two stages, one is Low Salt, where the SWCG is still generating a lower level of chlorine, and Very Low Salt, where it stops producing. The stated first level is 2800 ppm and the second is 2600 ppm.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are testing at 3000 ppm, you can add 300 ppm worth of salt.

Where is Cypress? Do you get rain?

Are you getting a Low Salt light on the SWCG? It has two stages, one is Low Salt, where the SWCG is still generating a lower level of chlorine, and Very Low Salt, where it stops producing. The stated first level is 2800 ppm and the second is 2600 ppm.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are testing at 3000 ppm, you can add 300 ppm worth of salt.

Where is Cypress? Do you get rain?

Its says Very Low Salt, 2550... great so it’s not even generating chlorine.... I’ll have to go get salt in the morning.

Thats kind of frustrating that I have to add more salt only because the SWG can’t seem to read the correct amount. I’d reallly like to have as little salt as possible in the pool.

Cypress TX, its a suburb in NW Houston. We generally get lots of rain but its been pretty dry here the past month or so.

Added about 60lbs of salt this morning. Drop test says 3400. Pentair app still says Very Low Salt which means its not making chlorine yet. Pentair app salt reading only rose from 2550 to 2600. Do I keep adding salt, call the PB or something else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The IC only measures salt every 12 hours or when being powered on. Salt also needs at least 24 hours to full mix into the water.

None of the test methods (drop test, SWCG, etc) are all that accurate. So being in the ballpark is as good as it gets.

This stat definitely makes me feel a little better. Thank you, that makes pretty good sense. I have been watering every day on every side of the house for the past couple of weeks to help the new sod root in so hopefully that will help even out the moisture on the other sides of the foundation.

So using your calculation, I'm multiplying 17x35=595 which is the surface area. I took out the spa and the first step of stairs. Multiply that by 4 (guessing there was an inch going in the leak every week for 4 weeks) = 2380. Divide that by 12 and you get 198 gallons.

I don't exactly follow this thought process but if I've only lost 198 gallons back there, then I'm much less worried about this.

That's 198 cubic feet of water or 1,652 gallons

Question about pump run time now that its getting cooler outside. Yes its actually in the 50s in Houston!

I know there's a crazy calculation taking in to consideration plumbing, bends, etc but I'm not ready to tackle all of that. I'm hoping to just find a general guestimate on how long I should run the pump and at what RPM during the winter months to at least turn the water over once.

Currently I have it set 7.5 hours at 2250RPMs. Given my size pool, any recommendations?

I run my pool in the winter for 4 hours - and at only 1000 rpm (my year round RPM setting).

I also schedule the actual run time to be early in the morning (before dawn) as a backup/override to my freeze protect in the Jandy automation. The nights I need freeze protect around here beyond the earliest morning hours are very, very rare - so I might as well run the 4 hours during our coldest hours. This generally overlaps nicely with the freeze protect time and I don't end up over running the pump when it isn't needed.

I run my pool in the winter for 4 hours - and at only 1000 rpm (my year round RPM setting).

I also schedule the actual run time to be early in the morning (before dawn) as a backup/override to my freeze protect in the Jandy automation. The nights I need freeze protect around here beyond the earliest morning hours are very, very rare - so I might as well run the 4 hours during our coldest hours. This generally overlaps nicely with the freeze protect time and I don't end up over running the pump when it isn't needed.

Are you not worried about the water turning over at least once at that low of a setting?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.