new pool build Phoenix-PICS

View attachment 38252not sure if u can make out how much dirt was left. it's debatable. maybe an inch and a couple of inches in some places. this is also shows drainage a bit. they left too much dirt in the corner but I signed off on that thinking the excavators knew dirt better than I did, cuz we're still killing the oliander roots but it's too much fill so I guess i'll have to dump some in the trash little by little each week

IMG_5011.jpgI don't understand why the other pics all showed up in the same post as I had them separated. i'll try again. this one is the front yard. I was going to move the river rock to the side before the pool started but my friend said they'd rise to the surface again. I don't think so. from the extra dirt falling off of the truck I feel like there's no way but for me to dig the dirt out which will be hard to do so that I can put more river rock. maybe I can hose it out? the river rock has been compacted down. the super said they were going to move the rock over then dig out the dirt then put the rock back. then the company told me the pb was trying to get them to do stuff that wasn't their job. I was dumb enough to tell them, not realizing I was speaking with the owner of the company unlike other helpful people, that I thought the pb might've even had me sign something saying the landscape damage was not their responsibility. I thought that was standard. the guy told me that they should've moved the river rock over or asked me what I wanted salvaged first. is that standard? I told them about the big things like the grape arbor and the tree...

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 38264 husband went with the shovel to see if the cement was still there. still there. I knew it. will talk with them about that. thx so much kim for the example of the school. I can sort of understand how people think it'd never be a prob but that's not how I do things. i'm really disappointed that I didnt' do my own clean up and it was probably included in some price somewhere, too late now anyway. I am afraid that i'm going to have grass growing in many places of my yard where I've never had grass before. the super wanted to use dirt from the grass area to fill in behind the pool that will be full of plants. I told him not to for the fear of having grass grow there and he said it the week after and I had to be very firm that that was not acceptable. prob is, they did most of clean up when I was at the hospital with my daughter so I didn't get to see what they buried. :( some of it I might be dealing with while planting and some of it will just kill plants if too much cement was there due to drainage which is already a huge issue by the mountain. :( really starting to wonder if owner build would've been better.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 38266 this is a fuller pic of the river rock wash area that they dumped dirt into. I bet water would be the most efficient way to get the dirt out although more water usage.

I am glad she is home and recovering. That is a lovely dreamy smile she has.

As for your retaining wall, just remember how much debris it will keep out of your pool, it will grow on you. Based on the pics you have posted, you have a creative mind, one day it will just come to you what to do with it.
thanku. she's back to herself and yah, i will be glad to have debris out of the pool. i was hoping i could do most of it with non shedding plants but it'll all be ok. just wish communication was more clear between pb and the contractors. makes me wonder about things i would have no knowledge of or say in like placement of pop ups or rebar and stuff like that.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 38249

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 38250

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 38251

- - - Updated - - -

they will clean your yard when everything is done. I wouldn't quite admonish them yet, they are going to make much more of a mess before it's all done. Now, if you are going to have people in the back yard during construction, then you either need to discuss that with the PB so the crews can clean as they go (which....is unlikely) or just keep people away until it's finished.

And yeah, you will find nails. we have some rebar sticking up by our sheer wall. Whenever we landscape the rest of the yard we'll have to get to that. For now it's "don't step off the travertine"

hubbie just went down to the pb. he's worried the kids will fall in the pool on concrete and wants water in the pool and wants the things fixed that they seem to be dragging feet on. electric really seems to be putting us as last priority. it's been a couple of weeks since they were supposed to finish the electric.

buckeyeChris, I don't think they plan on coming out for more cleanup. was supposed to be electric then ready for city then pebble, then acid, then start up. then swim (all but my daughter). :( maybe she can at least sit on the Baja shelf.

here's a pic of where they r at. they plumbed in the wrong size pvc for the parascoping fountain and shotcrete didn't allow for enough space for several of the pop ups. hope the jackhammering they're going to do won't ruin the integrity of the pool. IMG_5017.jpg

That is a weep hole to prevent your pool floating if the water table is high.
They are filled with concrete by the plaster team immediately prior to applying the pebble finish.
We had a couple on our sun deck and a few in the bottom of our pool.

Any Umbrella sleeve location is chipped out and set by plaster crew as well.

ozdiver. i'm a bit confused. u said it's to prevent my pool floating if the water table is too high? i don't understand.
the hole is where my umbrella sleeve is supposed to be and the shotcrete guy said that it's easier to make the hole earlier on rather than drilling a hole after the fact. r u saying u had some that were rusted?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my daughter could've died since the glass went into her back close to an artery. my son's asthma has been acting up with all of the dust. I will be so ready to get this pool done!!! really hoping the plumbing issue (wrong size PVC installed for the parascoping fountain) doesn't slow us down too much. i'm also worried about the 2d drain. noone installed anything that looks like a drain and i was told by the city we need 2 drains. i had thought the pb told me the drain i got (MDX) was big enough that we don't need two drains but the city told me different and i want to make sure we have what is safest for the kids. still have 3 pvc pipes sticking out of the wall with nothing attached so hopefully one is a drain. pb owner coming out tomorrow for first time. hubbie got really upset when our daughter was hospitalized due to the fall and electricians did not show up AGAIN. he is anxious to get water in the pool before one of the kids fall in it. we're big outdoor people. hasn't been fun keeping them inside!!!

there's been a few mistakes that don't seem worth them fixing. has anyone ever haggled a discount for things that were not as was supposed to be on the plan instead of having them fix it? i was wondering if we were even going to wait on furniture since we're so far over budget, and now the hospital expenses on top of it. btw, Bella is her own goofy self. have to make sure she doesn't re-injure as she's full of energy. got punished yesterday and today. so glad to have her home! :) thx again to those of u who prayed for her! i didn't realize how bad the injury was until after the surgery.

The two drains would be on the bottom in the deep end. It will look something like this:

l________l
l
l
l only it will be a solid line of PVC heading towards where your equipment will be.

Kim (I am thinking about your other questions)

- - - Updated - - -

That is not posting like I did it. Darn!

It should look more like a field goal really. I hope you can figure out what I mean.

Kim

I am just relaying what happened in my build.
They put two holes like the one you showed in my sundeck.
I had not told them where my umbrella was to go at that point, so maybe they were explaining away their guesses.
Similar ones in the floor of my pool were for weep holes.

If you told them where the umbrella hole was to be placed and they did leave this in that location, then it is an umbrella hole.
Your shotcrete guy is correct, it is easier to set a hole is wet concrete, rather than chipping it out later as long as you know where you want it prior to shooting the pool.

If you were actually concerned about the rust stain from the rebar, that should have been your captioned question, not "Umbrella Sleeve?".

The MDX floor drain is usually paired with a SDX wall safety drain.
That may not have been apparent to the inspector, the PB would have to explain this type of plumbing to him.

yikes. husband is wanting to add a bench now. he's thinking that it's a safety hazard to not have any exit on the 4 foot side of the pool. our two youngest are 3 1/2 feet tall and our 10 yr old is prob 4 1/2 feet tall. my husband is freaking out and saying it's a safety hazard that we didn't put any steps or anything on that side of the pool. unfortunately my husband hasn't been that involved in the planning process and when talking it through with a friend I decided that we originally had a bench on that side and decided we didn't want it to get in the way of basketball and we wanted it to be an active pool. now with our daughter's accident he's thinking about other safety things and wants a bench or steps or something. I can't imagine what this will cost, now, and asthetics is something I want to take into consideration. any ideas? steps or a bench? i think a bench would look nicer. i'm bummed we just got the pb owner involved and due to my daughter's accident and some things not being taken care of correctly the owner has really stepped in. we were rushing them to get water in the pool and now i can imagine we'd have to get back our rebar and shotcrete for a bench. i can't even imagine how difficult it'd be. maybe not as bad as i'm thinking? or how much $. :(

on another note 4 of our 5 chickens died today. i think due to the tarp i had hanging on the fence as a temporary thing for construction. i just can't wait for this all to be done. i think they must've went into heat stroke. they all went into the coop and died there. maybe trying to cool down? one didn't die. weird. kids r sad. there's just so much happening that's making me nervous we're getting a pool! on another note, glad the pb owner caught that we need to have the fence bonded since it'll be less than 5 ft from the pool. since they're 'not doing the fence the salesman didn't think it through (like a lot of the things he hasn't thought through). sigh.

any ideas about the bench or exit on the 4' side of the 40' pool would be greatly appreciated!!! my husband thinks the kids will tire and not be able to get themselves out. i figured they know how to swim and they could float or pull themselves out but I guess I need to consider visitors. maybe now is the time to get the baja?

Help. freaking out. went in the pool to get an idea for if we were to add a shelf where we'd put it. in-floor is probably limiting us to a small corner shelf but also we realized that the pool is a good 1/2 foot deeper than we had anticipated on both ends. there is now no place in the pool that our kids can stand without being under water. we had planned on 3 1/2, 5, 4. the 5' section is a couple of inches too deep and the other ends are those depths at the tipety ends of the pool! i somehow thought that we'd have plenty of room in a 40 foot pool of a solid 3 1/2 and 4 foot, but we only seem to get a few inches of those depths. everything is ready to go for shotcrete and now we have to see if they will come out and raise the pool?!!! yikes!!! i have the plan and unfortunately the depth change is pretty steady. i wanted 3' and the lady at the pool place said 3' would be too short for the kids in a couple of years. if we r supposed to measure at the middle of the tiles we're very unhappy. better for cannonballs in the middle i suppose but not a volleyball and basketball pool which is why i never even did a shelf at the 4' end of the pool. i wanted lots of room for volley and basketball. yikes. the whole thing is a nightmare! pool too deep and not usable for our needs. in the middle i'll even be up to my nose in water. not what i had planned for. i planned 5' which would be my chin and what i wanted. i hope they'll make this change as this is going to be a very $ change!!! will they fight me on this?!!

Re: new pool build Phoenix-PICS-OH NO! TOO DEEP!!!stop job again?!!!

sorry for so many posts but this seems like a very big deal to us. would people mind telling us, in a 40foot pool, how much space of 3 1/2 feet would be typical, how much of 5 feet and how much of 4 feet? they talk about it being a gradual change but how is it that only the edges are 3 1/2 feet and it goes to 4 feet within a matter of a few inches? is that right? we're SO disappointed!!! doesn't feel like a play pool for our shorter family. i'm 5'6", hubbie is 5'8" and we have kids that are on the very short end of the spectrum. here is a copy of the plan with the grade. is the plan typical or is the grading in the pool maybe not typical? or, do i just have them level out what is supposed to be 3 1/2 and 4 and have a deeper drop in the middle? i thought with 40' the drop would be extremely minimal but the 3 1/2 end is really 4' and the 4' end is really 4 1/2. :( 4 feet is in the middle of my 10 year old boy's forehead and certainly well over my 6 and 7 year old's head. i know they won't be this little forever but they will for quite a while. it's not what i imagined. in-floor heads are installed (1/2 of them, anyway since they had to come out and jackhammer out a wider area). not an easy fix but maybe easier than i'm thinking? I hope they'll fix it!!!plan-cad-pool.jpg

i gotta say i really regret not putting in a small bench in the opposite corner of the pool. it's a 40 foot long pool and i'm now realizing i'm going to put in a gate on that side of the yard and will also utilize it as a sitting area when it's shaded and the other side of the pool isn't. sad about this but as some have said, it seems pretty late. were going to pebbletec monday. they've said it can be done, prob for a few hundred bucks. i keep telling myself nothing is ever perfect and maybe it'll force myself to strengthen some muscle getting out of the pool on that side, or just walk around. i could see people utilizing a bench as an easier access to get out when the basketball goes out on that side and my daughter using it to sit on and play cheerleader while the boys r playing basketball. yikes. wondering if i should inquire again or just forget it and move on. jeesh. kicking myself. i know some on this post said it could be a structural prob and if that's a fact, i must move on and it is what it is. :(

Depth profile on a gunite pool is completely custom and has no standards unless your building a diving pool. With a diving board you'd want to adhere to diving slope and distance regulations.

At 5' and below its completely up to the owner/pool builder.

IMG_5022.jpgpebble today!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5027.jpg we have a few areas where it drips down like this. should this be a no-brainer for them to fix without me even having to point it out to them?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5029.jpg I know they and others said it'd be blotchy, but will this dirt come out? should I say something or assume they'll know what they're doing? hard to assume anymore. I wish I had washed off the coping after the fence guy got dirt all over it. the backyard is a bunch of dirt, dry, dusty dirt. I figured the guys would hose it down but they didn't. they just taped plastic onto it. so, I think it got dirty after they were done. thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.