New Pool Build - NM

terrence505

Dec 14, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We are under contract for a build set to begin in April. We have space constraints so 12X24FT is the max we can install. It will be a family pool with a 7 year old boy. My wife and I are interested in relaxation and small get togethers. This is our 1st pool build and want to make sure our build fits our needs. Our pool season is late April to October.

Pool Build Specs:

12FtX24Ft Shotcrete Pool

3.5’ to 5.5’

6’X12’ sun shelf with stairs in middle

1HP Jandy Single Speed

Jandy Cartridge Filter

RayPak 406 Natural Gas Heater

Ozone Sanitation

Ultraviolet Sanitation

Cover Pools Cover

Questions:

1. Is there anything you would change in the design?
  2. Thoughts on having stairs in middle versus the side? Should stairs be longer?
  3. Thoughts on Sun Shelf depth? I have thoughts of having 1 side at step #1 depth and the other side at Step #2
  4. With the size and depth of the pool are the benches worth it? If so is 6ft to long of a bench?
  5. There will be 1 Color LED light. I asked about a second on the sun shelf but was not suggested due to depth of water and overheating. Does this make sense?
  6. If only 1 light what would be the best location? Opposite of sun shelf?
  7. I am interested in setting it up for stationary swimming, what is the recommended setup? Hooks inside pool?
  8. Is there anything I am missing?

Attachments

• 6EDA6061-5AEF-48A5-A58A-AA1D6CD8F62A.jpeg
    6EDA6061-5AEF-48A5-A58A-AA1D6CD8F62A.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 66
Welcome to TFP.
UV and Ozone sanitation are not the best because you still need chlorine in the pool. Are you opposed to a saltwater chlorine system? That would be the best value and provide excellent sanitation.

you mention a stationary swim system however the design with the steps in the middle and the seats on the end does not provide a adequate free swim lane. Maybe with your stationary system you don’t need it.

suggest you upgrade to a variable speed pump as that will be the new standard by June 2021.
sun shelf can be anywhere from 6” to 18”. The most common is 6-14”. It depends how you wish to use it.
if you go deep then consider a half step from the ground as a 12” water depth is a 16” step down from the ground to the bottom of the shelf.
suggest you have 2 skimmers and plumb each independently back to the equip pad.
Lighting should be on the wall that is nearest your home/patio so the light shines away from where you are sitting.
that’s all for now. I am sure others will chime in.

So I think I am going to do a 12in depth sun shelf which will require a stair to enter pool which does not bother me.

Questions:
1. Why would the builder advise against a SWG system? Would the SWG be twice the cost of UV & Ozone?

2. With such a small pool why is 2 skimmers recommended?

Thanks

So I think I am going to do a 12in depth sun shelf which will require a stair to enter pool which does not bother me.

Questions:
1. Why would the builder advise against a SWG system? Would the SWG be twice the cost of UV & Ozone?

2. With such a small pool why is 2 skimmers recommended?

Thanks
So sometimes when people do not want to do something they increase the price to deter you. I have seen this in the business world, yard work, and numerous posts on this forum. Maybe the PB just doesn't have experience with SWCG, thus the high price to deter you.

Skimmers are the primary method to circulate water to skim the surface. You can manually do it as well with a net. Wind has more to do with surface debris movement then does your return jets. So having 2 skimmers at opposite ends provides you the greatest capability to ensure your surface is skimmed properly. Now if you do not have a lot of trees and you are confident in where your prevailing wind direction then you may get by with 1 skimmer. It is a small cost that can save a lot of work. Also, should you have a skimmer problem in the future then it good to have that second one. Plenty pools have 1 skimmer, just wanted you to have that option if you wish.

Terrence,

If you look at our Pool School, you will see that the primary goal of this website is to teach pool owners how to test their pool water so that they "know" when their water is correctly balanced, so that the pool is properly sanitized. You can easily do that when chlorine is used as the sanitizer... but.. there is just no easy way to do that with Ozone and UV, what I like to call magic. :mrgreen:

The main magic they have is to take money from your pocket and put it in your pool builder's pocket. Most pool builders get sales bonus for selling them, if not directly, then they get trips or cruises when they meet their quota... Ask your pool builder and see what he says...

Obviously, it is your pool and you can do whatever you want.. But ask yourself this... What are we trying to sell you vs. what is your pool builder trying to sell you? What could we possibly gain by not recommending the Ozone and UV... ????

I would personally put the stairs on one side and not in the middle. If you have any older guests, they will appreciate having the coping to help with getting in and out of the pool.

Good luck with your new pool build..

Thanks,

Jim R.

But ask yourself this... What are we trying to sell you vs. what is your pool builder trying to sell you? What could we possibly gain by not recommending the Ozone and UV... ????

More people should copy and paste that statement right there into threads when there are questions about the "magic" that some PBs try to dump off on potential customers. I have read a lot of under construction threads, I mean almost every once for a long time. Really because I like reading about all the projects, but a lot of because I seem to learn a lot along the way. And a common theme you see is potential pool owners who may have not taken a lot of time to read any of these threads and have questions about Ozone, or UV, of Frog packs. And sometimes the advice goes in one ear and out the other, but at the end of the day, I believe what everyone is trying to do is help people not make mistakes that would be difficult to overcome or just a waste of money.

In the end, as Jim pointed out, UV and Ozone "systems" are a waste of money.

So sometimes when people do not want to do something they increase the price to deter you. I have seen this in the business world, yard work, and numerous posts on this forum. Maybe the PB just doesn't have experience with SWCG, thus the high price to deter you.
That right there is also another theme you see. Not just for SWCGs, but other things in pool builds that are outside the comfort zone, or profit center for a builder, I'll give you the "I dont want to do it, but I will do it for this price!"

Back to the OP questions, I like the creative use of the space. I don't have a strong opinion on the layout, but do love the auto cover idea. I have one on my pool and have liked it a lot so far. Safety, keeping heat in, less burning chemical, etc., and the ease to open and close it is so much convenient than say a solar cover.

1HP Jandy Single Speed
Are they really going to put in a single speed pump? Even with the relatively smaller body of water, would think you want at least a VS Pump. You can't even put in a single speed pool pump after July this year, surprises me to see some PBs still try and ram these in.

There will be 1 Color LED light. I asked about a second on the sun shelf but was not suggested due to depth of water and overheating. Does this make sense?
With a 24' long pool, I think you want two lights, on the wall closest to the house, pointing away from it. That should give you enough light in the pool and reduce shadows.

Good luck with this build, April will be here before you know it!

We are under contract for a build set to begin in April. We have space constraints so 12X24FT is the max we can install. It will be a family pool with a 7 year old boy. My wife and I are interested in relaxation and small get togethers. This is our 1st pool build and want to make sure our build fits our needs. Our pool season is late April to October.

Pool Build Specs:

12FtX24Ft Shotcrete Pool

3.5’ to 5.5’

6’X12’ sun shelf with stairs in middle

1HP Jandy Single Speed

Jandy Cartridge Filter

RayPak 406 Natural Gas Heater

Ozone Sanitation

Ultraviolet Sanitation

Cover Pools Cover

Questions:

1. Is there anything you would change in the design?
  2. Thoughts on having stairs in middle versus the side? Should stairs be longer?
  3. Thoughts on Sun Shelf depth? I have thoughts of having 1 side at step #1 depth and the other side at Step #2
  4. With the size and depth of the pool are the benches worth it? If so is 6ft to long of a bench?
  5. There will be 1 Color LED light. I asked about a second on the sun shelf but was not suggested due to depth of water and overheating. Does this make sense?
  6. If only 1 light what would be the best location? Opposite of sun shelf?
  7. I am interested in setting it up for stationary swimming, what is the recommended setup? Hooks inside pool?
  8. Is there anything I am missing?
VERY exciting! I’ll be watching your posts!

They just started the build on Monday. They finished digging the dirt today. Tomorrow they start plumbing.

We had multiple builders come out and got quotes from 3 companies. Many builders did not follow up with us which made it easy not to choose them. Keep in mind Quotes today will probably result in builds starting at the end of summer as all of the builders are backs up.

Also keep in mind there a significant supply issues. The pool builder stated they have had trouble getting Filters, Heaters, Pumps and now PVC.

Reactions: HappySwimming
Congratulations on starting your build, keep updating on his it’s going!

I think we’ve picked our builder, unfortunately we won’t be able to start until this time next year 😞

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Updates:
Plumbing Complete /nspection Complete
Rebar Complete
Underground Electrical Complete / Inspection Complete

Shocrete is expected some time next week.

Question: We will have roughly a 15X20FT area where we can either add Sod or Artificial Grass. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Attachments

• 60A95D05-9EAB-48DE-81CA-82C22B8E389B.jpeg
    60A95D05-9EAB-48DE-81CA-82C22B8E389B.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.