New Pool Build Los Angeles

Hi Tony, imagine you are grilling out in your summer kitchen which we do 5 times a week, and want to swim. It would make sense to have the entrance of the pool close by. Imagine you are cooking and your hunny is in the spa. Our TV stays on all the time even when we are listening to music as maybe we want to see the score on a football game. My wife loves to decorate for Christmas and you will need lots of electrical outlets. Is it possible to move the pool towards the pool equipment so that you can get more space by the Lanai? Again just my 2 cents :cheers:

Hi Brentr, 2 cents or however much you have to give is very welcome. :-D

The side of the yard closest to the Lanai will eventually have an outdoor kitchen. Having the spa and fire feature on that side would be too much with the kitchen also on that side, and would make the yard look unbalanced. Additionally, the side where it is now, is closest to the french doors off the master bedroom. But now that you and Kim Kat have both suggested being able to watch TV from the Spa, I will now need to look into putting an outdoor TV on the pool equipment wall. But that's not going to go over very well. My other half already complains about having 5 TVs in the house, and there are only 2 of us.

Wow, 12 electrical outlets, and still not enough? I was planning electrical by the future kitchen area and on the other side of the yard by the fire feature, but that was it. I hadn't really thought of a reason for much more. (There will eventually be low-voltage lightening, but I am hoping to power and control that all through my EasyTouch load center.) Can you give me some reasons for having as many as you do? Water should be relatively easy, since we will be plumbing for the sprinklers and stub plumbing for the future kitchen.

I would like a little more concrete space, but my other half has vetoed that, prefers more artificial turf. But that means more money, since AF is more expensive than concrete. So I might win that one.
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

I just thought of something..........the master bedroom has a TV I bet! Is there any way to angle it so you can view it from the spa where it is??? You could run speakers from it so you can hear.

Dirt cheap.............NOT!! LOL good one!!!

Kim:kim:

Hi Tony, imagine you are grilling out in your summer kitchen which we do 5 times a week, and want to swim. It would make sense to have the entrance of the pool close by. Imagine you are cooking and your hunny is in the spa. Our TV stays on all the time even when we are listening to music as maybe we want to see the score on a football game. My wife loves to decorate for Christmas and you will need lots of electrical outlets. Is it possible to move the pool towards the pool equipment so that you can get more space by the Lanai? Again just my 2 cents :cheers:

We actually moved the pool 2 feet closer to the Lanai side to gain more space around the fire feature. My SO was not happy about that, but I love the fire feature, and wanted room for at least 4 chairs around it. My SO said I would be sitting there by myself. I get what you are saying... but I kind of envisioned that as the "no splash zone", since it's by the kitchen and won't have lounge chairs like the other side of the pool. But I will definitely consider additional electrical, because its a lot cheaper to do it now than add it later.
SaveSave

I just thought of something..........the master bedroom has a TV I bet! Is there any way to angle it so you can view it from the spa where it is??? You could run speakers from it so you can hear.

Dirt cheap.............NOT!! LOL good one!!!

Hi Kim, so I opened up the french doors to the master bedroom and then went to the area in my yard were the spa will be, and lo and behold, I was able to see the 45 inch TV we have on the bedroom wall opposite the french doors. I won't need to put a outdoor TV near the Spa!

Kim, you have actually saved me some money...and my relationship. :party: And for that I thank you.:salut:
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Hi Kim, so I opened up the french doors to the master bedroom and then went to the area in my yard were the spa will be, and lo and behold, I was able to see the 45 inch TV we have on the bedroom wall opposite the french doors. I won't need to put a outdoor TV near the Spa!

Kim, you have actually saved me some money...and my relationship. :party: And for that I thank you.:salut:
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Hey EVERYONE!!! I saved money instead of SPENDING it!!!! I think that is a first!!! :party: LOL

You will love the Lightwaves aquamarine, I used it on my feature wall and have no regrets

Hey Rokihunter, Love, Love, Love your feature wall. If mine turns out half as good as yours, I will be very happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey EVERYONE!!! I saved money instead of SPENDING it!!!! I think that is a first!!! :party: LOL

I meant to add to that...I am sure you will find another way to spend my money. :deal:
SaveSave
SaveSave

Hey Tony - I think I'm in a pretty similar situation to you, just a bit further behind. I probably live a mile or two from you in Ladera Heights, also on a hill, with a 60'x26' back yard, and am just getting serious about learning about pools with the hope of putting one in in the next 12 months or so. One question I have for you that's had me spending a lot of time researching is heating. I've spoke to a few neighbors who heat their pool with gas, and it seems that they pay a fortune to do so on medium sized pools and larger, outside the summer months. I'm focused on trying to understand and reduce running costs as much as possible in my planning. I know a lot of SoCal people use solar heating, but I don't think that's a good fit for me, as you know, our neighborhoods do not get all that hot by SoCal standards, and outside the summer months and perhaps the fringes, I'm not convinced solar would provide any great heat benefit to the pool. I've started reading about heat pumps - and on the face of it, they sound perfect. Very efficient, keeping elec costs low, maintaining the temp., and only needing ambient temps of 55+ degrees, which is basically year round for our neighborhoods. Have you investigated heat pumps, and if so, did you reach any conclusions about them??
thx,
Matt

Hey Tony - I think I'm in a pretty similar situation to you, just a bit further behind. I probably live a mile or two from you in Ladera Heights, also on a hill, with a 60'x26' back yard, and am just getting serious about learning about pools with the hope of putting one in in the next 12 months or so. One question I have for you that's had me spending a lot of time researching is heating. I've spoke to a few neighbors who heat their pool with gas, and it seems that they pay a fortune to do so on medium sized pools and larger, outside the summer months. I'm focused on trying to understand and reduce running costs as much as possible in my planning. I know a lot of SoCal people use solar heating, but I don't think that's a good fit for me, as you know, our neighborhoods do not get all that hot by SoCal standards, and outside the summer months and perhaps the fringes, I'm not convinced solar would provide any great heat benefit to the pool. I've started reading about heat pumps - and on the face of it, they sound perfect. Very efficient, keeping elec costs low, maintaining the temp., and only needing ambient temps of 55+ degrees, which is basically year round for our neighborhoods. Have you investigated heat pumps, and if so, did you reach any conclusions about them??
thx,
Matt

Hey Neighbor, Welcome to TFP!

I never considered a heat pump because my reason for the heater was to be able to heat up the Spa quickly, which is something you can't do with a heat pump. If you are planning a Spa, a heat pump is not sufficient. In our climate, you'll never be able to get the water temperature up to 100-104 degrees needed for a Spa.

Regarding your neighbors, do you know if they cover their pools at night? Uncovered pools can lose a significant amount of heat at night. I plan on getting a very simple Solar cover to help retain heat at night. Are they continuously heating their pool so they can swim at a moments notice, or do they start heating it Friday morning for weekend swimming only, and off again Sunday night? Those practices will affect heating costs.

Another TFP member in California mentioned heating his pool for the weekends with a gas heater, and it only raised his gas bill about $20 per month. I don't recall the exact size of his pool, but I believe it was less than 20K gallons. Regarding solar heat, I hear more about that from people living in Arizona or in Las Vegas, not so much from SoCal.

I wish I could be of more help here, but that is about all I know with respect to Gas Heaters vs Heat Pump. And even less about Solar Heat. But this forum is a wealth of knowledge with many many members willing to answer any question you have. I would search the Forum for Heat Pump vs Gas Heater and see what you come up with. And if it still doesn't answer your question completely, just start a new thread with your questions. I guarantee it will be answered within 24 hours. Good Luck!

thanks! Your response makes sense with regard to the spa - I wasn't considering a spa, so I think that's probably a key function that would push you towards the gas heater. One of the neighbors I quizzed had a 16x30 pool, and had heated it in the fall for a family celebration. They'd told me they heated it the day before so it'd be warm enough (!) and it only added $300 to the gas bill for that month (!!). Unfortunately I don't have more metrics - whether it was covered, how deep the pool is etc. which obviously can all make big difference - I know that freaked me out a lot! However, last week I was in San Diego - the house I rented had a small yard, and a cozy 28'x8' pool (4ft deep) - it had an automatic lid, and a 400k gas heater - we could turn the heating on for just 20minutes and it would get lovely and warm in that time. That seemed like a good solution, as I will also be looking at a smaller pool. I was just learning about heat pumps, and as i'm a net generator for electricity (solar panels) I thought perhaps it would it would be a good low cost solution. Best of luck with your pool! Can I ask who you're using for it - I'd love to get a quote from them for my pool? thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool Build Los Angeles LA City's Ridiculous Bldg Requirements

My plans have been with LA City department of building Services since April 5th. On April 18th they issued a "Correction" on my plans requiring a "30-days to dig" notification sent certified mail receipt to the neighbor behind me, because the depth of my pool is greater than the distance of the pool edge to our shared property line. (Our property line is currently divided by a 6-foot CMU wall.). She can't object to it or stop the dig. It's just a notification. But now I my dig has been delayed until that 30-day notification is up. It's ridiculous that I have to wait 30 days to dig, since she can't object. My PB said if I decrease the depth to 4 feet or move the pool 2 feet farther from the wall, then we can start the dig next week. But neither of those options is going to work. I really want my max depth at 6 feet, and if I moved the pool 2 feet farther from the wall, then the pool will be too close to the house. Ugh...it's the little stuff like this that makes the building process frustrating.
Okay...I've vented....I am going to try to remain:calm: for the rest of my build.

Hi there looks like you are going to have a sweet setup when you are done. I have the same equipment as you. Screen logic is great! I had nothing but problems with the wireless link. It was just too far or something. Luckily I ran an extra control cable from my ez touch panel to my house. I hardwired it and it now works great. Always good to have it hard wired. Take another connection out of the link. Good luck let's see more pics as it progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pool Defender In-line Water Bonding

Hi All,

Is anyone familiar with the Pool Defender In-line Water Bonding Product?

http://www.c-m-p.com/cmp/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Pool-Defender-Brochure-.pdf

According to the brochure, it is recommended for SWG pools and will also water bond the pool.

My PB will only bond a pool if the inspector calls it out. And from what I have read, some LA City inspectors require it and some don't.

The cost is only $50, so I may ask my PB to do it any way.

But I don't know much about water bonding, so I am wondering if this is a gimmick or a legitimate way to bond a pool.

Equapotential Bonding is required on all permanent pools. Its described in Article 680.26 of the National Electrical Code. California adopted the 2014 version of the NEC on Jan 1 2017. 680.26(B) requires the pool and associated equipment be bonded and 680.26(C) requires the water be bonded. Its not optional.

This is why: Silicon Valley exec dies trying to rescue daughter in electrified pool - LA Times

The device you are asking about is a sacrificial anode and a water bond. A pools shell, deck, metal components, electrical equipment, and water must be bonded so that if a fault or stray current energizes one item, it energizes all items. If all conductors (intentional or unintentional) in or around a pool are equally energized (have the same electrical potential) then current can't flow and human beings can't get shocked.

Equapotential bonding can be complicated and California inspectors are generally extremely vigilant in making sure each pool is correctly bonded. Its the responsibility of your PB to properly bond your pool and its equipment. If he doesn't do it he's not entitled to be paid.

Most sacrificial anodes simply do not work. What metal are you protecting anyway? It has to be connected and matched to the metal you are protecting. Read JoyfulNoise's posts in this thread for the skinny on sacrificial anodes.Sacrificial Anode help

Equapotential Bonding is required on all permanent pools. Its described in Article 680.26 of the National Electrical Code. California adopted the 2014 version of the NEC on Jan 1 2017. 680.26(B) requires the pool and associated equipment be bonded and 680.26(C) requires the water be bonded. Its not optional.

This is why: Silicon Valley exec dies trying to rescue daughter in electrified pool - LA Times

The device you are asking about is a sacrificial anode and a water bond. A pools shell, deck, metal components, electrical equipment, and water must be bonded so that if a fault or stray current energizes one item, it energizes all items. If all conductors (intentional or unintentional) in or around a pool are equally energized (have the same electrical potential) then current can't flow and human beings can't get shocked.

Equapotential bonding can be complicated and California inspectors are generally extremely vigilant in making sure each pool is correctly bonded. Its the responsibility of your PB to properly bond your pool and its equipment. If he doesn't do it he's not entitled to be paid.

I'm an old fashioned guy and I prefer the water bond in the light niche. If you have nicheless lights then in the skimmer. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/POOL-BONDING-BURNDY-MfrPartNo-BWB680AGRK/dp/B005FM2KSS

Most sacrificial anodes simply do not work. What metal are you protecting anyway? It has to be connected and matched to the metal you are protecting. Read JoyfulNoise's posts in this thread for the skinny on sacrificial anodes.Sacrificial Anode help

Hi gwegan, Thanks for providing the codes. And the link to the story...tragic...I will discuss it with my PB...meaning it is not an option. He will need to do it. We are supposed to meet next week to discuss the build specifics.

Tony search for this document. It has everything you need.
5db6cb8a5c95dfd882a96adedbd66bb3.jpg

If I were you I'd contact the electrical inspector and have him clarify what exactly he is looking for. Something's you need to do, some you don't depending on other factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.