New pool build - Looking for advice!

Reading on Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading

Spa party timers? Give me a break. So much other stuff better on the IntelliCenter.

IntelliFlo and IntelliPro are basically the same. I was giving your PB some flexibility.

You have 3 pumps:

For the main filter pump I would do the IntelliFlo 011056 VSF pump

@Jimrahbe @mas985 what pumps would you do for a basin pump and spa jet pump?

Lauren,

On the equipment decisions Allen has you well-covered. I'll just weigh in on the contractor management side. When you assert yourself on the equipment decisions as the pool owner you'll be establishing your proper role in the process. You do after all pay the bills for him. I'd suggest a conversation he's trying to avoid 'till it's too late. He needs to understand he builds the pool and that's why he was selected. If you have a question it is his obligation to explain the answer it. Just because you're not an expert doesn't make you stupid and he needs to acknowledge that now. As to decisions that you're gonna have to live with and that affect your long-term enjoyment/value those decisions are yours alone. This discussion will happen sooner or later and my experience is that its always better to have it sooner. Also, when a job starts this way make absolutely sure you have everything decided now and in writing. For minor things that may have to wait establish a range that covers all your options. Failure to do this can lead to large cost surprises when you have no choice but to pay.

Once you get agreement on the roles you should lead the transition to a professional and respectful relationship. It's still possible to make this a good experience and you should try to do this. Of course he'll have to respond and most of the time he will.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Chris

I would really try to get all the equipment from one manufacturer. If your PB prefers Hayward automation and lights, then why he is not using Hayward pumps, heaters and filters as well?
In regards to cartridge filter, my pool is 14k gallons and my PB installed a 425sq ft filter. Not only that, I have water features and I have a separate, smaller cartridge filter for that, so it lessens a chance of clogging the shears. Your pool will be almost twice as big, yet you will be getting half the size of the filter, and I'm not counting my second filter here.

Your PB has some serious backwards thinking for sure. I would seriously re-evaluate the equipment choices while you still can.

I would really try to get all the equipment from one manufacturer. If your PB prefers Hayward automation and lights, then why he is not using Hayward pumps and filters as well?
In regards to cartridge filter, my pool is 14k gallons and my PB installed a 425sq ft filter. Not only that, I have water features and I have a separate, smaller cartridge filter for that, so it lessens a chance of clogging the shears. Your pool will be almost twice as big, yet you will be getting half the size of the filter, and I'm not counting my second filter here.

Your PB has some serious backwards thinking for sure. I would seriously re-evaluate the equipment choices while you still can.

He said he prefers Hayward automation but thinks Pentair pumps are superior and he likes to use the best product for each part. I have never operated a pool before and to be honest am very confused and don't really understand much. Once I can see it and get my hands on it I will be fine, but right now not much makes sense for me. So, I am really relying on the advice here. I also went to a local pool store today and spoke with them about some options. Just trying to get as many opinions as I can. I have made my decision to stick with Pentair and will be using all of their equipment. The local pool store guy also told me Pentair gives an extended 3 year manufacture warranty when you buy 3 or more of their products, so I am going to make sure my pool builder is aware so I can qualify for that.

The pool builder likes to railroad me, so I want to be sure of my choices and be ready to defend what I want.

With that being said, do you have a recommendation for a cartridge filter?

I would go with 400sq ft cartridge filter or bigger, but I will leave it to the experts here which specifics Pentair filter they would recommend.

As far as automation goes, the whole idea behind it is the ability to have a central control center that can control everything from pump speed, switching between pool and spa mode, control lights, water features, water temperature, etc. All these systems are connected to the internet and can be controlled via a web interface or a phone app.
The moment you start mixing and matching brands, that automation doesn't work. So, for example, if you want to change the speed of Pentair pump, but have Hayward automation, you have to physically walk to the pump and adjust the RPM at the pump's panel, instead of opening up an app and doing it through there.

Your built looks beautiful and very high end, missing out on full automation and app integration would be a big deal fro me.

In looking on Pentairs website I think I would need the Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter CCP420 which is a 420 sqft filter. But it says it has 4 filters? Would that be more in line with what I would need?
Lauren,

I would look at a CCP520. I'll also ask an expert with a lot of Pentair knowledge to reply. @Jimrahbe Jim, seems like I've seen you recommend a 500 series Pentair cartridge filter previously. Is this the correct model?

Chris

Lauren,

I too would buy the same brand of equipment.. In some cases, two competing brands can control each others equipment.. I believe the IntelliFlo is one of those cases.. But.. when things go south, then each brand will blame the other... In my opinion it is always foolish to mix brands..

The CCP-420 and 520 are excellent large cartridge filters... Both have 4 individual cartridges. Either would work for your pool.. Basically, you can never go too big when buying a pool filter. The bigger the filter the less often you have to clean it.

Is the pool builder building his pools or your pool??? :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.