New pool build in Tampa Bay Area, Florida

They have been doing the tile install... looks great. It is taking a long time, at least they are putting a lot of care into it!

We did have a minor hiccup and needed to make an immediate decision. The pavers we were so excited to be getting are back ordered until June. So we had to pick new pavers. We were originally getting Flagstone white/pewter in the traverstone pattern, consisting of 3 sizes - 9x15, 9x12, and 9x9. The new paver options are from TriCircle pavers. They have a similar product but the scale is a little smaller - 9x12, 9x9, 9x6. This is disappointing because we wanted the larger scale. The color option is even better though... its white/charcoal, which gives us more of a gradient look that we like.
They also offer the same color in a large scale paver, up to 16x16. But our PB will not do a custom pattern mixing sizes... we could get all one size, up to 16x16, we could do a stagger pattern with that but not mix it to give the appearance of the travertine. My wife did not like that, she likes the mixed sizes so we settled on that with the smaller scale they offer. Another decision to be made was to go with the "MegaStone" option, or the "MegaSlate" option. MegaStone is a pillow top paver, smooth finish, but with bigger joints and a pronounced pillow effect in the corners. MegaSlate is a more square option with tighter joings and no pillow effect, but with a less smooth top surface. I liked the tighter joints more than I didn't like the rougher surface, so we went with that one. I think it will help by being less slippery and it is not a very pronounced roughness, just like real slate to be honest. We used to have a neighbor with slate floors inside their home and it felt basically the same way.

Hope we like it! We decided to not sweat it so much, and just go with what the PB recommends, as he has been right about everything else so far. That was his first choice for us.

We are also planning to add a pathway and extended driveway. area that will be connecting to the pool deck. But it isnt approved yet. I need to decide if i want to order extra pavers now, to get the same die lot, or if it will be OK to wait on that until later, and risk a mismatch. With such a gradient color I am thinking it wont matter so much. None of it is going to match the pavers in the front of the house, so I don't think it will be the end of the world either way.

Sounds like things are moving forward with little bumps on the way that are working out. Those pavers look neat. I like how the sound like they will be set up. I WOULD order the extra to be on the safe side for the dye match! That is up to you and your wallet! LOL

Kim:kim:

Tile is mostly done, we love how it came out. And the electrical was done today too. The pool equipment did take up a LOT more room than expected, so thanks to those that recommended leaving a lot of space. It worked out well I think. I was not crazy about all the conduit they ran on the wall. It seems they could have buried it, but they said they do not do that typically. Only thing I am a little concerned with is that they did not tell me where the antenna for the automation remote was going to be. When they asked me where the panel should go, I chose a location a little father down the wall, for future connectivity to my wi-fi. The back corner of the house is a bad spot for signal. But now the antenna for the remote is 1/3 of the way down the side of the house, away from the pool area. Do you guys think that will cause issues for using the remote? The electrical installers did not seem to know how the remote connects. They kept saying it was wi-fi, which does not make sense. Unless the remote and the receiver unit both connect to my home wifi? I doubt that is the case. Here are some pics!

That tile came out great!! They did a good job sorting out the different colors combos!

On the wifi................no help here.........I don't even have a timer for mine :(

Kim:kim:
Thanks Kim, yes, we think they did too. In person you can see the ones with the lighter little blue diamonds are scattered around evenly throughout the pool, so it looks very even.

Its been a while, but I have some new photos. The are doing the pavers... nearly done actually, it only took a day and a half so far.

We had another little hiccup, since we had to change pavers, we did not think about the grout we chose for the coping and tile would not match as well. So luckily the tile contractor noticed that it was not a good match and asked if we wanted to change it. We had to make a quick decision, and went with Delorean Gray, which turned on perfect for the pavers and the tile.

And here are the pics of the paver install. I was out there a lot during this phase, making sure I was happy with the gutter downspouts and the slope, and the deco-drain location. These guys did a great job, the cut out sections of my breezeway walkway so the deco-drain would drain all the way across. This is how I wanted it in the first place, but the builder said it wasn't needed. The paver guys did it without me even having to ask, they knew it would be the correct way to keep it drained. They also got grey deco-drain so it would match better, even though he had to drive to Riverview to pick it up. Was very nice of him, and professional. The color looks perfect, we are so happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pavers are done!! Fence goes in this weekend, then the PebbleTec! I am a little annoyed because they told me they could still do the pebble without the fence, so we didnt schedule the fence early enough. Now they are saying, no, too much risk to have water in the pool without a barrier. So I am losing this entire week waiting on the fence.

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_5364.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

IMG_5368.jpg

Thanks everyone! Its all working out fine, the fence company was able to bump us up to Saturday install, and the pebble guys can't come until Wednesday anyway so we didn't really lose any time. I couldnt have dealt with it sooner, I have been running around like crazy this week anyway. And I want to be home when they do the fence and the pebble. The fence is being modified on the fly based on how things line up so I need to be here. We also have a giant pile of leftover pavers so I am working on where to use them.

Last edited:
Fence is done... pebble goes in on Wednesday. We do have a small issue, we were going to be getting door and window alarms from a neighbor, but it turns out they gave some away already to another neighbor. Now we are short some alarms. She still has 7 of them, but we need 11 or 12, so 4-5 short. We figured, no problem, just order them from Amazon. They had plenty in stock last week, now they are out of stock. I don't want to keep all these stupid window alarms, we have to put them at all the doors and windows on the garage as well as the ones on the side of the house. I was thinking about getting a floating pool alarm, but because of the spa I need two of them and they are quite expensive, and apparently not very good. So I need to figure this out before Wednesday!

Here are the pics...
IMG_5398.jpgIMG_5399.jpgIMG_5400.jpgIMG_5401.jpgIMG_5402.jpgIMG_5403.jpgIMG_5404.jpgIMG_5405.jpgIMG_5406.jpg

That fence really makes is a lot more private! It will be so easy to care for as well!

Not sure what to tell you about the door/window alarms. Does Lowes sell them at all?

The water alarms are a pain as they go off just from a slight breeze so..........not so good :(

That fence really makes is a lot more private! It will be so easy to care for as well!

Not sure what to tell you about the door/window alarms. Does Lowes sell them at all?

The water alarms are a pain as they go off just from a slight breeze so..........not so good :(

I have heard the floating alarms are annoying, but we don't have little kids, so it should be okay!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.