New pool build in Tampa Bay Area, Florida

Oct 17, 2018
Odessa, FL
Hey everyone, we are finally under construction! I have a few other threads out there with some design and planning questions, but all is decided and they broke ground last week. I got really busy so I am little behind on my construction thread, but here it goes.

To recap, we have a new construction home in Odessa, FL, in Asturia. Our home is a "Traditional Neighborhood" design, with the covered front porch, and an alley-load garage in the back of the house. We have a separate garage, with a little apartment above it, and a covered breezeway connecting the house to the garage. It's an interesting and unique design, especially here in Florida, but it raised some challenges when designing the pool. The back yard is essentially between the house and the garage, its about 40 ft deep, and while the yard is around 55-60 ft wide, we cannot utilize all that width because of the breezeway. I originally planned for a small pool in a sort of courtyard design, but my wife wanted a larger pool... hence the design questions thread:
New pool install in Tampa, need some help with design questions

All the questions and conflicts from that thread were resolved... which is another way of saying my wife got whatever she wanted and I acquiesced to her. But there are some great pics so check it out if you like pool design pics.

We submitted our package to the POA for approval and waited for them to respond. That took like a month... crazy long time. But everything was approved so we could begin construction. And our builder started right away... within 2 days we had the yard pre-grading done, all framing leveled. Two days later we had a hole dug, and all the re-bar and plumbing installed. I took pics but didn't get to post this thread until today. And today they are doing the shell... a day earlier than planned. So... the schedule is going well so far, I hope this continues!

Here are the pics, and please feel free to comment or ask questions....

I am sure my neighbors are not thrilled with me right now. This started at 7am this morning... hammering, trucks backing up, blocking everyone's garage... Sorry guys!!

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

They are just finishing up so I will get some pics soon...

How many pumps are you getting?? We have a 4 inch spillover and two bubblers as well and our one Intelliflo struggles to produce a good spillover and two high bubblers at anything other than max RPM with the pool returns turned off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How many pumps are you getting?? We have a 4 inch spillover and two bubblers as well and our one Intelliflo struggles to produce a good spillover and two high bubblers at anything other than max RPM with the pool returns turned off.

Thats funny I was literally JUST reading your thread and saw your issues with the pump. I am sitting in front of my quote looking up which pump we are getting, although we were assured that our pump is the most powerful one they have.

We are getting the Hayward Ecostar SP3400VSP, just a single pump, PB said its plenty to support what we have... 2 bubblers, 48-inch spillover, and the high performance spa jets with back massage manifold. No other water features.

Well, well, well............so it has REALLY begun!!! I have come catching up to do hehe

-Let the much begin!
-Measure to make sure it is the correct size
-Give us a list to look over

LOL I will be back in a bit to share the "now" things!

Kim:kim:

Ok, so if things dont work as you desire it may be on the builder, however, ask the plumber when he is there if he can plumb it so that a second pump could be added down the road if you desire. He may be able to stub a few pipes under ground and if you add other things or decide to add a second pump if you encounter the same problems i did, it will basically be a matter of dropping the pump on the pad and connecting the piping. It may cost you a few hundred more and an extra valve or two, and you might be able to pay him cash to just have him do it. That again may cause an issue with the builder so you may want to talk to them first.

I am going to take a drive out to the Champions club later in the week to see a few pools that are being completed/just completed and see how their equipment and pump set up is in comparison to the water features, I may drive through Asturia and Starkey Ranch after as well, so if you see some weird dude creeping by your back yard in a black truck, its just me peeking on your build!

Kim, I will get a list together! :)

@tampatommy - We see creepy ppl in our yard all the time, as it borders an alley and ppl are always walking by and checking out the house or the build. Our house is fairly unique in this neighborhood, its become a running joke when we meet ppl, everyone knows about "that big blue house on the corner with the garage apartment". One woman we were chatting with one time said to us: "have you seen that gigantic house that takes up the entire block?"... I was like, yea that's our house!

I work from home so if you want just stop on by...

Am I allowed to show our quote/estimate prices here? Or is that frowned upon in the public forums?

I did attach the pool drawing with most of the equipment listed, I will try to fill in the details in this list:

Pump: Hayward Ecostar SP3400VSP
Filter: Hayward DE (60sf? - I dont know which model, I just know I paid $550 more for it over the cartridge filter)
Heater: Hayward H400FD
Salt system: Hayward Aquarite T15
Lights: ColorLogic (one in spa, one in pool)
Automation: discussed at length in this thread, but we just went with the AquaPlus with AquaPod remote package the PB recommended
DecoDrain: white 3" with removable caps (this was upgraded since the diagram that I attached, which is why its different)
Finish: PebbleSheen (white diamond with abalone shell added)
Screen: No enclosure at this time, just the fence and window/door alarms. No safety fence either... we just have dogs, no kids here.

Pavers: white/pewter color (kind of a silver/grey look in person), traverstone shape with random pattern
Tile: We chose a modern "cracked look" cobalt blue tile with oyster grey grout:
IMG_4812.JPG

PoolDrawing.jpg

Share anything you want EXCEPT "names" just in case things go south. Some people like to see the $$ part so they can compare.

I have SO much to say about your picks but am out of time for now. I WILL be back! LOVING the tile!!!

Share anything you want EXCEPT "names" just in case things go south. Some people like to see the $$ part so they can compare.

I have SO much to say about your picks but am out of time for now. I WILL be back! LOVING the tile!!!

Thanks... I picked the tile, took me like 3 minutes and i said that's the one. Then my wife and daughters and everyone else took another few hours and visits to look at all the other options, and they all ended up picking the one i chose right away. So I guess I got my tile choice too... :)

OK, so here is my estimate, no names just numbers. We made a few changes beyond this so it isn't exact to what we are getting, but its pretty close. I think we did pretty good on the deal, after I adjusted my expectations on prices to 2019 standards LOL
Estimate.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.