@Erik13 Did they send you the dimensions, you can ask for that. That helped me visualize the space too. Did they say how much space was between the wall and the pool? If it is less than 6 feet then it will cost you more. When we sat down with our builder we wanted ours 5ft from wall and also a sports pool. Something to do with the slope and how close to the house it would be hard to do a sports pool. But also they brought up something that they said many builders might not be doing. I think it was called shoring? When they build so close to the house the sand and dirt can fall from under the house and cause all sorts of issues. They said some builders may not even be discussing this. Since my husband is an engineer he knew what they were talking about. So if we wanted our pool to be 6ft deep, something to do with the slope, we needed to be 5ft from the house wall, and that was another 2K on top of everything else so we decided it was not worth it. The shoring puts boards and stuff to keep the dirt from falling out, so structurly the dirt that is under your home does not move during the pool build. I bring this up so you can discuss with pool builders if in fact your at the 6 or 5 ft from wall. I don't think it is customary or necessary to do if 6ft. Also here is a picture of my pool. It is similar but no spa. Due to our drainage easement it is not a full rectangle. It is going to be 13/14 X 32. First picture is what we thought we were getting with a different builder, second is what we ended up with after we finally figured everything out.
So one of our PBs broke it down as the rule of "depth plus 1", which is take the depth of the pool plus a foot and that's the distance needed from the house. Generalized, but simple enough.

Reactions: ckinchen
C,

I would not build another pool if it could not be a saltwater pool... :mrgreen:

When you get out of a chlorine pool you feel like you need a shower.. When you get out of a saltwater pool you feel like you just had a shower.

While it is possible to add a saltwater system after the pool is built, it makes no sense on a new pool. Depending on how your pool is plumbed, it can be almost impossible to add a cell without replacing a lot of the plumbing.. This is not a cell problem, but just due to plumbers making everything as compact as possible. They don't think about future repairs or modifications, like adding a salt system. If you do nothing else, make sure they plumb your pool with the necessary space to add a salt cell.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I can appreciate your hyperbole, but I've been in both pool ecosystems, and the difference to me isn't as noticeable. So can you breakdown the science between a "saltwater pool" vs. a liquid chlorine/bleach pool?

I will say, in theory, the Pentair "intelli" equipment offers the option to do the pump, filter, heather, SWG - so in theory if I upsize all the equipment, my inputs should be minimized. Now, in the FL environment, taking into consideration the ample amount of rain and sun, this could negate that initial thought. So what's the sales pitch that puts the SWG over the top?

Finally got some more feedback from other builders, and one sent us a design that really is eye pleasing to us. The spa centered on the geometric pool with the spillover onto the shelf is something both the wife and I really like the look of. I'm waiting to hear back from this builder on a design revision to see how much we can offset the pool to the right to leave room for the outdoor kitchen build, and change the spa to something like 5x9 rectangular (to leave available space). We still want to incorporate the sports pool as well, which should be in the revision. Probably won't do the bubblers in the shelf, the PB just threw those in there.
1604163343543.png

1604163355196.png

Any feedback from anyone on a design perspective? Any pros/cons to things we're looking to do here with this design? Any input on how we should setup equipment like returns, etc.?

Reactions: NickCYC
Also, had an in-office meeting with a large PB in the area. They initially advised what we wanted would be a $60-$65k build after a lengthy phone conversation, so I was willing to get a bid from them as a data point. They hit me with an $83k bid at this meeting for the basics :rolleyes: I'm really just getting tired of the dishonesty and lack of professionalism in this PB industry. It's definitely not all builders, but somehow I've managed to find a few already lol.

I like your final design. I would not do the bubbles as the spa spill over will give you a better sound without extra money.

SWG VS chlorine-both are chlorine pools. The SWG turns the salt into chlorine. Another fact is liquid chlorine adds some salt so over time your pool will end up with testable salt in it.

SWG=EASY as it does all of the work for you.

Liquid chlorine-you have to add chlorine to your pool every day. Can be a pain but is doable.

Tablets/pucks-not good for long term as each puck adds CYA (stabilizer) to the pool. Over time you will end up with to much CYA. The only way to remove CYA is to replace some of the water and start all over again.

I hope this helps.

I like your final design. I would not do the bubbles as the spa spill over will give you a better sound without extra money.

SWG VS chlorine-both are chlorine pools. The SWG turns the salt into chlorine. Another fact is liquid chlorine adds some salt so over time your pool will end up with testable salt in it.

SWG=EASY as it does all of the work for you.

Liquid chlorine-you have to add chlorine to your pool every day. Can be a pain but is doable.

Tablets/pucks-not good for long term as each puck adds CYA (stabilizer) to the pool. Over time you will end up with to much CYA. The only way to remove CYA is to replace some of the water and start all over again.

I hope this helps.
Hi Kim! Nice to hear your input on the bubblers, that'll save us $2k right there in that bid taking those out. I'm starting to come around on the SWG, just for the ease like you mention, and it'll keep the wife happy since she's hung up on the hair/nails/skin thing.

Reactions: kimkats
I like that final design, personally I'm not a fan of sun shelf's. I think it's wasted space. But I also don't have any small kids over. Our original design included the shelf, then we eliminated it and made it a seating area. We also don't have a spa so we wanted to have something that still gave is that sitting around/hangout feel. If you have a bunch of little ones then it might get some use. Otherwise if you're using it just to sit, make it smaller like the first design. One thing to consider is how you plan on setting up the yard. Will you have a tv out there? Will you be able to watch tv from the spa?

Reactions: Erik13
I like that final design, personally I'm not a fan of sun shelf's. I think it's wasted space. But I also don't have any small kids over. Our original design included the shelf, then we eliminated it and made it a seating area. We also don't have a spa so we wanted to have something that still gave is that sitting around/hangout feel. If you have a bunch of little ones then it might get some use. Otherwise if you're using it just to sit, make it smaller like the first design. One thing to consider is how you plan on setting up the yard. Will you have a tv out there? Will you be able to watch tv from the spa?
Would you happen to have an example of that seating area? Wouldn't mind seeing what you mean by that. The plan is to build an outdoor kitchen off the lanai, on the same side as the spa/shelf, which would have a TV. Keeping the spa on that side of the design was mostly meant for a seating area for exactly what you're asking, but now we're going back and forth on the spa. For the price tag, we're both leaning towards cutting it out of the design now.

Well, after a hiatus for tax season (I'm a CPA by trade) and a bit of a nightmare during the last few months of construction on this new home, we're back in the hunt for a pool. Basically after all the leg work I did in Q4 of last year, I've got it narrowed down to three PBs from the 25 or so I originally reached out to:
  1. Dreamscapes Pools and Spas
  2. Kura Design Pools
  3. Premier Pools & Spas Treasure Coast
I did hear from one member on TFP about one of these builders, which I greatly appreciated, but does anyone else have any reviews or input on any of them? I've got quotes from all 3 that're now a month or so old, so I'm sure there's markups inbound when I reach back out to them. I'm hoping to go see some of their work in the near future and get very specific with their build specs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, after a hiatus for tax season (I'm a CPA by trade) and a bit of a nightmare during the last few months of construction on this new home, we're back in the hunt for a pool. Basically after all the leg work I did in Q4 of last year, I've got it narrowed down to three PBs from the 25 or so I originally reached out to:
  1. Dreamscapes Pools and Spas
  2. Kura Design Pools
  3. Premier Pools & Spas Treasure Coast
I did hear from one member on TFP about one of these builders, which I greatly appreciated, but does anyone else have any reviews or input on any of them? I've got quotes from all 3 that're now a month or so old, so I'm sure there's markups inbound when I reach back out to them. I'm hoping to go see some of their work in the near future and get very specific with their build specs.
Erik, we used Premier Pools and Spas Treasure Coast for our build. It's not quite done yet but super close. Here is a link to my post. Overall I have this to say about Matt and PPS -Treasure Coast; In the beginning communication was awesome but now it seems to come in spurts. My experience is that he uses contractors for everything but they all love him (Matt). I talked to all of them and they all only work for Matt and one other company. They all seemed to be good at their trade and we have had no problems with any of them except the final grade folks. I'm still fighting that problem. The "pool school" is crappy, I still have no idea how to use my equipment and it's been a couple weeks. With all that said, I think every company will have its problems. My neighbors started a month ahead of us and we are further along than they are. I talked to the lead inspector yesterday and he seemed impressed with Matt's speed and quality so far. If I had to build another pool there are only two companies I would consider and PPS - Treasure Coast is one of them. Here is my timeline:
  • Permit - 11/2/2020
  • Dig - 11/16
  • Water in pool - 4/9
  • Final grade - 4/12 but failed inspection and haven't been provided a solution yet
  • Pool startup - 4/15
I can provide more details if you'd like and if you feel like coming by Rockledge you are more than welcome to check out the pool.

Erik, we used Premier Pools and Spas Treasure Coast for our build. It's not quite done yet but super close. Here is a link to my post. Overall I have this to say about Matt and PPS -Treasure Coast; In the beginning communication was awesome but now it seems to come in spurts. My experience is that he uses contractors for everything but they all love him (Matt). I talked to all of them and they all only work for Matt and one other company. They all seemed to be good at their trade and we have had no problems with any of them except the final grade folks. I'm still fighting that problem. The "pool school" is crappy, I still have no idea how to use my equipment and it's been a couple weeks. With all that said, I think every company will have its problems. My neighbors started a month ahead of us and we are further along than they are. I talked to the lead inspector yesterday and he seemed impressed with Matt's speed and quality so far. If I had to build another pool there are only two companies I would consider and PPS - Treasure Coast is one of them. Here is my timeline:
  • Permit - 11/2/2020
  • Dig - 11/16
  • Water in pool - 4/9
  • Final grade - 4/12 but failed inspection and haven't been provided a solution yet
  • Pool startup - 4/15
I can provide more details if you'd like and if you feel like coming by Rockledge you are more than welcome to check out the pool.
Hey again! Thanks for the update - I just shot you a DM after reading through your thread. Appreciate you chiming in!

Can the group provide some input on the equipment we've been quoted for on a bid please? We finally got a builder to list out model #s, instead of just generic terms:

Again, this is for a 30'x15' pool, 3'-6' depth, approximately 15k gallons....the design can be seen in post #23 above.
  • Jandy 2.7 VS Pump (VSSHP270DV2A)
  • Jandy Cartridge Filter (CS200)
  • Jandy TrueClear Salt System (TrueClear 11k)
  • Jandy Natural Gas Heater (JXi260) **would we not want the 400k BTU model here?
  • Jandy WaterColors LED lights, 2 in pool and 1 in spa (CPLVRGBWS100 and CSLVRGBWS100)
  • All Jandy Never Lube Valves
  • Air Blower for Spa Jets (No model or brand given)
  • Intermatic Timer
We're going to inquire about automation, so that intermatic timer will probably go away. Are there any auto-fill/drain options we should ask about being in C. FL?

Thanks Everyone!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Bump.....Anyone?

The 200 sq. ft. cartridge filter seems like it may be a bit small, based on the 200sq.ft./10k gallons metric listed in the "How to Select Pool Equipment" article here. Jandy does make a 250 model in the CS line, but it looks like that's where they stop.

The SWCG is rated up to 35k gallons, so we're covered by the 2x pool volume advice it looks like. That model produces 0.93lbs/day of chlorine.

I did some calculations on the heater, just for the spa - basically to raise the 400 gallon spa by 25 degrees, the 400k BTU unit would take approx. 15 minutes, while the 260k BTU unit would take about 25 minutes (taking into consideration the 80% efficiency of NG). Being in C. FL and not having a screen, I don't foresee us needing to heat the whole pool, but the option would be good to have.

That's what I've found so far.

My pool is about the same size as yours and I have a 320 square foot filter. I only have to clean the filters 3 times a year under normal circumstances. I'd also go with the bigger heater. To me the nominal cost difference (in the grand scheme of things) up front is worth it on both.

Reactions: Erik13
I would do the larger heater. The filter is probably OK, you'll need to clean it more. A larger filter will require less maintenance. I did 200sf, but I do have a screen enclosure. Probably would have gone large without the screen.
For the small price bump, I'm thinking the bigger heater is a no brainer - good to hear I'm not alone in the thinking. I'll inquire to see if we can bump the filter up as well.
For your question about auto fill/overflow...yes, you should ask about that...it's not always automatically included and it shouldn't add much to the price.
Will do - good point, I'm trying to get everything answered up front.
My pool is about the same size as yours and I have a 320 square foot filter. I only have to clean the filters 3 times a year under normal circumstances. I'd also go with the bigger heater. To me the nominal cost difference (in the grand scheme of things) up front is worth it on both.
Exactly my thoughts initially, glad to hear my thinking is in-line.

Went through a few round of revisions on the quote with this builder - for an additional $7k ($56 > $63) we updated/upgraded/confirmed the following:
  • Quartz interior upgraded to Pebble (+$3k)
  • Jandy Automation added (+$3k)
  • Deck drain/auto drain included in price
  • Upsized heater from 290k to 400k unit ($0)
  • Upsized filter from 200 to 250 sq. ft. unit ($0)
  • Auto-fill (Jandy Levelor) added (+$1k)
From what I'm reading around here, these items all seem in line with current pricing.

Any other must-have items for a new build?

Deck drain/auto drain included in price
Ask them how the auto drain works. Most of the time it is a pipe with a grate towards the top of the waterline tile. The pipe will lead to a spot in the yard that extra water from the pool will not mess up. Sometimes they put it inside the skimmer towards the top so it is only needed if the water is over where is should be from a big rain.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.