New Pool Build in Oklahoma - Current Stage....Waiting to enjoy it for the first summer

Tile and stone work started yesterday. Wife is happy with here selections and that's really all that matters!

On another note, I had 2 irrigation shovels "disappear" that the builder is now replacing. I know I should have put them up but I was out working late Sunday night and just didn't think about it.

They piped for an autofill that is supposed to be tied into our sprinkler system, unfortunately I haven't been able to read the persons mind that installed our sprinkler system and they are no longer in business (not shocking because its a disaster). With that said, I decided to tie into the main water line back at the equipment pad and run a new separate sprinkler system specifically for the auto fill and the landscaping on the back side of the pool. Hopefully that will all be completed today or tomorrow.
Ahhhh, the constant *click* *click* *click* sounds of the chisels for the stonework... It looks like they're making good progress! We had drama with out autofill/sprinkler connection as well. The landscape installer ended up bypassing and going straight to the main, since they couldn't find all of the leaky valves. I also had to replace the stock float in our autofill, as it didn't seal well with our high water pressure. Which type of autofill are they installing?

Tile and stone work for retaining wall is complete. I'm assuming they are working on coping this weekend and hoping all looks good as we decided to take our 3 boys and head to Great Wolf Lodge for the weekend.

Decking area is to be painted/marked out on Monday. Once decking is marked we can begin the pavilion build process as well. So far it seems like all is moving fairly quickly.

Items needed to complete:

Outdoor Speaker System- Looking at OSD Forza 5.25 for some sound in the flowerbed area on backside of pool and Bose 251 for the pavilion.

TV- Still looking at possibly an outdoor version like sylvox or just a regular tv and call it good.

Secondary Sprinkler system for Autofill - Will be able to work on this after placement of decking is finalized.

Built in grill - In 2nd and 3rd pic you may be able to notice there is a brick column separated by 44 inches of space before corner of house. I'm currently looking at have a natural gas grill built into the space with a little added bar area for cooking. I'm not a big outdoor kitchen guy but having a grill I can fire up quickly for burgers and hot dogs would be nice. The Traeger is great, but fast it is not. (Traeger will move to pavilion area once complete.

Anything else we should be thinking of for our "Outdoor Oasis"?

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    801.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 3.46.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 3.46.24 PM.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 58
Flagstone coping will be finished today and pavers to start first thing tomorrow morning. I've done a lot of research on here and while we like the look of the flagstone coping the flaking does concern me a bit so I've decided to use a Densifier/Consolidator to help with this.

Has anyone specifically used either Dry Treat 40SK (now known as Stain Proof 40SK) or TSSPRO 650? I'll probably need a gallon or two.... Also, is there any downside to applying now before plaster and water fill? I would assume now would be most beneficial so I don't have to be too concerned with any overspray getting in the water. Thoughts?

Pic of progress and pavers...

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    809.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    637.5 KB · Views: 52
Well, I got home late this evening and went back to look at the progress on the pool and noticed have the beginning of a retaining wall....unfortunately, neither my wife or myself approved this addition (no communication regarding price) nor did we approve the style/color of the blocks. Wife hates the color, or at least she did initially but I really believe she was just mad something like this was done without communication, although she did say if we have to pay for it they're gonna rip it out and put in exactly what she wants...lol

Before I call the PB I'd like to get some opinions and maybe how some of you would handle this?

Added pics for attention....Honestly, I kind of like it and the color

Attachments

• Unknown-4.jpeg
    Unknown-4.jpeg
    787.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    796.2 KB · Views: 66
For what it's worth, I don't think it looks bad. I would be a little concerned about if there needs to be additional drainage for that area. I haven't seen the full thing to understand how water may flow through/around there.

I would probably just call and start the conversation with "That was a bit of a surprise. Was not expecting this. Can you fill me in on what is going on?" As long as you've had good communications with the PB to this point. Definitely doesn't show up on any of the 3D renderings, so I would be curious what happened.

--Jeff

It probably would have looked slightly better if they used plain concrete blocks and did the stone to match the wall, but honestly it doesn't look bad. They also likely would have had to order more stone, and who knows whether it would have been a perfect match. It's certainly worth a conversation, but I wouldn't be too mad, unless they try and hit you with additional cost.

I think it (the wall) looks OK. As you can see from my avatar, we have a pretty significant retaining wall. I am not a huge fan of the color, but it's not too distracting.

Oh, and I assume you are an OU fan. In that case...GO POKES!!!! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
It probably would have looked slightly better if they used plain concrete blocks and did the stone to match the wall, but honestly it doesn't look bad. They also likely would have had to order more stone, and who knows whether it would have been a perfect match. It's certainly worth a conversation, but I wouldn't be too mad, unless they try and hit you with additional cost.
Yeah, I think it looks good and with the steps on the spa side leading to pavilion it will be a nice addition. Cost? Oh yeah, I was told it was going to be around $4k-$5k for the walls on both sides.....AFTER they had already finished one side. That's not how that works, so we came to a VERY reasonable compromise. Truth is we were going to need a wall of sorts on both side to help with drainage due to the slope in our yard, the problem boiled down to simply how it was all handled.

I think it (the wall) looks OK. As you can see from my avatar, we have a pretty significant retaining wall. I am not a huge fan of the color, but it's not too distracting.

Oh, and I assume you are an OU fan. In that case...GO POKES!!!! ;)
I've seen your retaining wall before while browsing the site and always thought it looked good.

You would be correct on the OU fan! However, I do operate a business in Stillwater as well and have learned to proudly support both teams.....even if it was a little difficult at first :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: HeyEng

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming pavers will be done today and then on the equipment placing and then plaster I believe... 6 weeks in and the process is moving along quite nicely with a few bumps.

Attachments

• Unknown-5.jpeg
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 47
Pavers looking good!

--Jeff
I agree! Finished deck is better than we hoped.

Finishing touches on plumbing, cleaning of pool, placement of equipment next week and plaster to be the following week! Paver deck for pavilion is finished and we will start that on October 27th.

TF-PRO Salt was ordered today.

Attachments

• Unknown-5.jpeg
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 49
Plaster day is tomorrow! Pavilion started today and should be finished tomorrow or Thursday. Excited for this project to be completed.

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 47
We are DONE! Pool is filling and the boys are excited! TFtest kit should arrive Saturday, I was a little late on that one. We're happy with the finished product thus far, just need to finish the bed on the backside of the pool.

Also, need to attach the chemicals the PB is recommending as I don't think based on what I've read it's a route we want to take with our pool. Start up is on me starting Monday so any and ALL help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 35
Help!

This is a list of chemicals the PB is suggesting we get for start up….I’m having to look into a few of these as I don’t know what they are.

Just want to make sure we get our pool started out the right way.

Attachments

• 914E758D-E134-4EC3-B839-0C0F1B6B1858.jpeg
    914E758D-E134-4EC3-B839-0C0F1B6B1858.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 25
The only thing on there I see that I would consider is the acid and the stabilizer. Everything else doesn't have a place in my pool.

@Newdude , @ajw22 - any chance either of you could jump in with some startup assistance for Boomer? My PB handled my startup so I don't have any clue what to do with that as far as when to put chems in to avoid issues with the surface.

--Jeff

You need to get some liquid chlorine, as you can't add salt for at least 30 days. You can grab that at Home Depot or Lowe's. I usually grab mine at Depot. It will likely be somewhat older so less strength than advertised, but seeing as we are headed into winter, your chlorine consumption should be low. Also want to get CYA (stabilizer) in it so the chlorine will hold. At this point, going in to winter, you will only want to add enough stabilizer to get you to 30, as you will want to follow the liquid chlorine side of the FC/CYA chart (Chlorine / CYA Chart).

While we wait for the guys I called, check out this guide (Start-up New Plaster) That should give you an idea of how to start with your new plaster surface.

--Jeff

Reactions: Newdude
Did you check your water meter before/after filling so you know the volume of the pool? Or do you have a rough estimate from the builder?

Also, if you haven't downloaded the PoolMath app yet, you should do so. This app makes it so much easier to manage your chemistry, because it will keep logs for all your additions. And a lot of people don't like the idea of paying for the premium version, but for $8 a year and it keeps up with all of the logs and stuff, it is totally worth it. I just consider it a small fee to keep me out of the pool store.

--Jeff

Reactions: Newdude
I'd love to help but plaster is foreign to me with vinyl. :ROFLMAO: There's alot of nitty gritty for the varying finish details. Allen on the other hand is the Plaster Whisperer and will be along shortly. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.