New pool build in North Texas! A long and skinny pool....

NO way would the SAME concrete guys set foot on my property after what they did!

If you want stamped concrete find someone else to do it for you where you can go see their last 3 or 4 jobs.

pavers-up to you. I am not sure which is the best way to go.

Kim

For your deck surface you might consider acrylic over concrete. It can be finished to look like anything you want. It's durable and stain resistant, stands up well even to salt pools. I have it on both my pool deck and my driveway.
Just so you can see some of the options.... Here is a link to a local supplier here in Arizona.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
90aa11d219b9be9ed92cd8c9f278f7f3.jpg

Pavers all the way. Stamped concrete can and will crack eventually. Difficult to expand decking in future due to color matching concrete batches. If plumbing goes bad under the slab, no choice but to jack hammer. Concrete decking requires sealing which often leads to a slippery deck. Concrete gets hot in summer. Concrete fades due to UV Rays over time.

All of these issues are mitigated by travertine pavers

I'm also voting for pavers. Check out jamcha02's travertine pavers, they are incredible. With such clean and elegant lines on your pool, if the stamped concrete wasn't just perfect, I'm afraid it would detract from the overall beauty of your pool.

You already know my vote - no concrete. Those travertine pavers look amazing (of course we are running up your budget) but your pool is so amazing looking right now. I'm just coming back everyday to drool over it. -Karen

Pavers all the way. Stamped concrete can and will crack eventually. Difficult to expand decking in future due to color matching concrete batches. If plumbing goes bad under the slab, no choice but to jack hammer. Concrete decking requires sealing which often leads to a slippery deck. Concrete gets hot in summer. Concrete fades due to UV Rays over time.

All of these issues are mitigated by travertine pavers

Hi Jamcha, would you please share with me what I should expect to pay per square foot with good travertine pavers? I am afraid that my PB is up charging me big time on everything.....for example, the IntelliPH system, parts plus installation, they want $1750. So, I asked them to consider lower it because I thought it was an outrageous quote. They did not budge...so I called the sub contractor who did the plumbing, and electric for the pool, and asked them if they work with home owner directly. The main guy said "sure! Just let me know when you want me to send the people to come out and install for you." He said he would charge me $250!!!! And my PB wants $1200 to install (since the system is about $550)....so, if you can give me some ideas of how much I should be looking at as a reasonable charge, I really appreciate it. Also, do they have to pour the sub base in concrete?

Hi Jamcha, would you please share with me what I should expect to pay per square foot with good travertine pavers? I am afraid that my PB is up charging me big time on everything.....for example, the IntelliPH system, parts plus installation, they want $1750. So, I asked them to consider lower it because I thought it was an outrageous quote. They did not budge...so I called the sub contractor who did the plumbing, and electric for the pool, and asked them if they work with home owner directly. The main guy said "sure! Just let me know when you want me to send the people to come out and install for you." He said he would charge me $250!!!! And my PB wants $1200 to install (since the system is about $550)....so, if you can give me some ideas of how much I should be looking at as a reasonable charge, I really appreciate it. Also, do they have to pour the sub base in concrete?

Sub base is 6 inches of gravel, 2 inches of sand. Price should be around 15$ a square foot in plano area. I used pavepro dallas

I'd vote for pavers too, but not necessarily travertine, it would be a different color tone from what you've done with the coping, it would bring in tans and beiges and more of a mediterranean feel, when your project has been quite modern and on the gray side, so you might want to consider a bluestone or a concrete paver which would give you that tonal look and feel. Concrete pavers would probably be significantly cheaper than bluestone. Checkout the stuff Belgard produces. They definitely have pavers that would look just like the stamped concrete you wanted originally. Bluestone comes at a premium because its getting shipped from the northeast.
I'd definitely check out Houzz.com a lot of their pictures have the information on the products the designers used in the projects featured and it can be quite helpful.

Of course so many people use travertine because its cool to walk on in the hot sun. If you could pick out a local supplier of travertine pavers and pick something that has more of your gray coloring and is honed and filled, it could end up looking really nice against the pool coping. That coping is so beautiful, you want it to be complemented right.

I would totally suggest flexing the old google fu and the phonebook and looking up some local stone yards/landscape materials supply yards and tile/stone places. Its free to look, you can get an idea of materials costs and what is available in your area, and I'd bet you can end up ordering from them anyway if you find something you like. We ordered some ledger stone from a different supplier and paid the cost difference from the included tile. Most builders should work with you like this.

9b884514e7aff5ff2ebec617cc4ec0eb.jpg
eac8936f9e236c0512986687b649a0d2.jpg
03d7cada21b61db4348d10ac5561974c.jpg

So copings are finished... Except one stepping pad. Can you guys imagine with me for a second..... The original idea was to build a linear fire place on the in pool dry deck at the right edge of the deck (you can see the design in the original master plan at the first page of this thread). However, I am having Wed thoughts on the design and the position of the fireplace..... Because it may look our of the place in the whole scheme of things when you look at the pool from the entry. What do you guys think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.