New Pool Build in North Austin, TX

Sep 17, 2018
Austin, TX
We are getting close to signing a contract for our first pool in Austin, TX. We've met with three PBs and are leaning towards the specs provided below.

We've also considered adding a small spa, but as you can see we do not have much space and unfortunately there is no natural gas in our area.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and have found the advice immensely valuable! Please share feedback :)

POOL
Size: 27’ x 12’ – Geometric
Perimeter: 78 Linear ft.
Depth: 3.5' – 5.5’
Capacity: 8,700 Gallons
Extended Sunshelf/Tanning Entry: 5’ x 9’
Benches: Two (2) Triangular at deep end
Tile: Standard
Coping: Buff or Charcoal Lueders Stone Slabs
Water Features: Two (2) Bubblers at ledge. Three (3) Deck Jets
Pool Lights: One (1) Color Changing LED
Hand Troweled: Standard White Mini-Pebble
1/2” Rebar tied on 10” Centers with a four bar beam and additional bars at all high stress areas if required

PLUMBING
Returns: 1 ½” schedule 40 PVC. Adjustable Four (4)
Pool Main Drains: Two (2) with Anti Vortex Covers. 2” schedule 40 PVC.
Skimmer: One (1) Included with equalizer line. 2” schedule 40 PVC.

EQUIPMENT
Pump: Hayward 1.85 HP Variable Spd.
Filter: Hayward: 325 sf Cartridge Filter.
Timers: Hayward: e-CMD with Web/App Remote and auto freeze guard.
Water Treatment: Rainbow In line chlorinator
Pool Cleaner: Polaris 280 with Booster Pump
Maintenance Equipment: Telescoping pole, hose, brush, vacuum, net, test kit & thermometer

Thanks in advance and I will share more pics throughout the process!

Attachments

• Parker Residence_002.jpg
    Parker Residence_002.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: garden:nut
Hi and THANKS! I love helping people build pools!

So I see you have the Water Treatment: Rainbow In line chlorinator. Those are okay for every once in awhile but not good at all good for every day use. The reason is the tablets/pocks you put them adds extra stuff to your water like CYA aka stabilizer. Now all pools need some CYA as it acts as sunscreen for the FC (Fee Chlorine). BUT once you get too much CYA you cannot get enough FC in your pool to keep algae away. Here is a chart to give you an idea what I am talking about: Trouble Free Pool

Here is what I suggest instead: Trouble Free Pool Now THIS will make your pool extra easy to keep up!

Kim:kim:

So I see you have the Water Treatment: Rainbow In line chlorinator. Those are okay for every once in awhile but not good at all good for every day use. The reason is the tablets/pocks you put them adds extra stuff to your water like CYA aka stabilizer. Now all pools need some CYA as it acts as sunscreen for the FC (Fee Chlorine). BUT once you get too much CYA you cannot get enough FC in your pool to keep algae away. Here is a chart to give you an idea what I am talking about: Trouble Free Pool

Here is what I suggest instead: Trouble Free Pool Now THIS will make your pool extra easy to keep up!

Thanks Kim! You really do an amazing job educating us newbies. I reached out to the PB again about the SWG option. I have discussed this with all the PBs and they have been very anti-SWG in Austin. I see this come up in many posts from fellow Texans.

Only in TX are they anti-SWCG. Odd. Some PB's seem to be coming around.

Easiest way to manage pool water chemistry ----

If you want you can do as I do..............pour in some liquid chlorine every day during the warm months. I pick up 4 2.5 gal jugs each time from my local ACE store (hardware store). This lasts me 12 days. I put in my daily amount each afternoon after the sun gets off the pool and let the pump mix it in good. My pool has more gals than yours will have so your use will be lower. It can be a pain some days but ti is doable. (Hubby does not like the idea of putting "salt" in a metal pool so it is what it is until I can change his mind :roll: ).

I see this come up in many posts from fellow Texans.
I don't get it either. Water is water. Chlorine is chlorine. Just has to be balanced correctly. But if you stay conventional by adding chlorine manually (like I still do), HEB will be a good friend. Their Regular Bravo bleach is still 8.25% strength at $2.94 per gallon. For my size pool (17,888 gal) I add about 1/2 gallon per day in the blistering summer with full sun. Of course less this time of year. Congrats on the new oasis.

Reactions: JPinATX
Looks like a backyard oasis! Very nice. We were in a similar position as you (but in South Austin) with no propane or natural gas. We ended up putting a tank in which may still be an option for you. I'm sure 250g would be sufficient. Regarding the SWG, same story with us. PB was not at all in favor of it and we are going to have a chlorine system with UV. From what I can tell, this forum will probably tell me to scrap the UV altogether. I don't know what I'm doing here as a first-time pool owner so feel a bit overwhelmed and will trust the PB (for now). I may be retro-fitting my system in the future, who knows?

Hi Kim, after further research I wanted to follow up with you on the topic of UV. My understanding, and I could most definitely be wrong, is that the UV sanitizer used for pools is a more concentrated dose of UV that will in fact kill pathogens that our good old sun just can't get to. From what I can tell, UV as a supplemental sanitizer is an effective option. With it, I expect to have to use less FC to keep the pool clean. Whether I'm pushing pucks or pouring bleach, I don't see a reason to totally scrap the UV system for sunlight. Am I totally missing something?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't see a reason to totally scrap the UV system for sunlight. Am I totally missing something?
Outdoor pools generally don't receive any benefits from UV. You might read this thread if you have a minute: Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth! . There are many, many other threads you can read by doing a simple search above. Examples include:
Why is everyone anti-UV?
Ultra UV Sanitizer from Paramount - will it work?
Delta UV system - potential purchase and install?

At the same time, we understand this is YOUR pool. If you chose to invest in UV, you have every right to. All we're doing is putting the info out there for members to read. Many retailers and builders push UV and/or other systems like mineral sanitizers because from a business position, it benefits them. But if you wish to invest in such a system, it's your prerogative. We're here to help and answer any more questions you may have.

I have a link for you to read. I also encourage you to do some searches for links and sites that are NOT sponsored by the company selling the unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.